Originally Posted by lewdog:
After 90 years on the DOW.....

Exxon removed.
Tech gets more weight.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:19 AM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Nice work.

I've been trying to retrain myself a bit. If a stock is going up I should hold it. I've traditionally felt that I should lock in the profit by selling some, but TSLA and the FAANG stocks are changing my mind on that.

I'm getting a little nervous because the FAANGS plus MSFT and TSLA are now over 12 percent of my total portfolio which doesn't seem very diversified, but man, they just keep going up.

Now that I think about it, though, 12 percent isn't all that much, right? Or is it?
FAANG and Tesla aren't bubbles. They are the companies that literally change the world. When the market does crash they will come back with a vengence.

That AARK ETF I mentioned in the other thread is managed by Catherine Wood ,I really like her but she has Tesla alone as 10% of her portfolio.

And If Biden wins (which there's no way in hell he will) the market will tank. When Trump wins you'll see a HUGE rally.
[Reply]
scho63 02:47 AM 08-26-2020

Exxon removed.
Somewhat shocking but I know that the fear for the Wall Street old timers is that the Dow Jones is the Dinosaur and Nasdaq is the top dog for headlines and growth.

They want stocks that can rise, not some stodgy piece of junk like Ford that stays at $6-9 for 25 years or GE that goes from $60 to $6 in the blink of an eye.

Dow Jones needs winners.......:-)
[Reply]
scho63 02:49 AM 08-26-2020

Exxon removed.
Started as Standard Oil of New Jersey by John D Rockefeller
Changed to Esso (Tiger logo just like Tony the Tiger)
Changed to Exxon
Merged with Mobil
Became Exxon Mobil
Back to Exxon
Kicked out of the Dow......

There it is in a nutshell. :-)
[Reply]
chiefforlife 07:51 AM 08-26-2020
So what does that mean for the stock itself? XOM
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:53 AM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
Somewhat shocking but I know that the fear for the Wall Street old timers is that the Dow Jones is the Dinosaur and Nasdaq is the top dog for headlines and growth.

They want stocks that can rise, not some stodgy piece of junk like Ford that stays at $6-9 for 25 years or GE that goes from $60 to $6 in the blink of an eye.

Dow Jones needs winners.......:-)
I think if oil bounces back Exxon will be back.

Originally Posted by scho63:
Started as Standard Oil of New Jersey by John D Rockefeller
Changed to Esso (Tiger logo just like Tony the Tiger)
Changed to Exxon
Merged with Mobil
Became Exxon Mobil
Back to Exxon
Kicked out of the Dow......

There it is in a nutshell. :-)
Wasn’t Mobil a standard oil company that got split off in the antitrust suit?
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:55 AM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
So what does that mean for the stock itself? XOM
That’s an interesting question. Do the Dow ETFsimmediately simp the stock? If so the fucker might go negative.
[Reply]
scho63 02:06 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I think if oil bounces back Exxon will be back.

Wasn’t Mobil a standard oil company that got split off in the antitrust suit?
Yes, from Standard Oil! Pretty ironic huh? Split about 100 years ago only to be gobbled back up.

They broke up his company into like 40 different companies. One of, if not the the largest breakups of a corporation in history.

ATT only went into like (9) Baby Bells
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:37 AM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
That’s an interesting question. Do the Dow ETFsimmediately simp the stock? If so the fucker might go negative.
The stocks joining were up 2-3% after hours the night of the announcement and the ones leaving the opposite. I'm sure it'll be some short term pressure but most ppl don't hold Dow based assets.

There has been a lot of talk that Teslas wild moves the last year are people trying to front run it possibly getting added to the S&P 500 if it were able to have a full year where it made an actual profit.

Which I think it did squeeze out a small full year profit with it's last earnings. Except Tesla would be the 7th largest holding rn if it joined, not no. 450 or 320 like normal. Almost 5 trillion is indexed to the S&P 500, I've no idea what would happen.
[Reply]
MagicHef 11:51 AM 08-28-2020
Does anyone mind if I talk about options trading in here? I understand if it's seen as outside the purpose of this thread.

Anyway, I've just started out trying my hand at it, and I apparently need to work on my timing a bit. I bought some WMT calls for $214, and sold them yesterday for $346. I was pretty happy with my 62% profit in a few days.

Today, WMT is up more so I thought I'd check just to see what could have been (probably a bad idea). My WMT options would be worth $1260 today.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:06 PM 08-28-2020
If we can deal with Clay's shit, we can deal with some options talk.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:08 PM 08-28-2020
I’ll take options talk over penny stocks any day.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:19 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Does anyone mind if I talk about options trading in here? I understand if it's seen as outside the purpose of this thread.

Anyway, I've just started out trying my hand at it, and I apparently need to work on my timing a bit. I bought some WMT calls for $214, and sold them yesterday for $346. I was pretty happy with my 62% profit in a few days.

Today, WMT is up more so I thought I'd check just to see what could have been (probably a bad idea). My WMT options would be worth $1260 today.
Did you buy with a short time to expiration?
[Reply]
ChiTown 01:39 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:

I'm always slightly impressed with people that can effectively do options trading. I suck at it. I do have WMT stock though and it's done quite well.

Your 62% profit is nothing to sneeze at. Well done.
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:39 PM 08-28-2020
Did you buy with a short time to expiration?
3 weeks. I'm too chicken to buy shorter than that.
[Reply]
Page 397 of 934
« First < 297347387393394395396397 398399400401407447497897 > Last »
Up