ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 325 of 341
« First < 225275315321322323324325 326327328329335 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Delaney37 09:15 PM 12-03-2022
Not sure if or how many of you guys reload that post in here but now that retirement is on my horizon I'm looking for suggestions for a good starter kit for reloading. Been looking at the RCBS set up. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:50 PM 12-03-2022
Originally Posted by Delaney37:
Not sure if or how many of you guys reload that post in here but now that retirement is on my horizon I'm looking for suggestions for a good starter kit for reloading. Been looking at the RCBS set up. Any suggestions?
Ive had RCBS set up for 30 years and they have never made a bad tool. What calibers are you starting out with?
[Reply]
Delaney37 10:00 PM 12-03-2022
https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/rock-...t/16-9366.html

This is the kit I'm looking at. Want to start with 22 Hornet ammo. My Winchester model 43 loves the 45 grain soft point Remington ammo but getting any factory loads in this caliber anymore is dang near impossible. I've got 20+ years of once fired brass saved up :-)
[Reply]
LiveSteam 12-03-2022, 10:18 PM
This message has been deleted by LiveSteam. Reason: Wrong thread
srvy 10:27 PM 12-03-2022
Cant go wrong with RCBS also Redding and Hornaday make fine starter packages. Lyman at one time was really good but don't know anymore.

Lee will get you their cheaper but their presses my dad always said was made of pot metal and wear over time with a stress fracture. I don't know if they have changed that.
[Reply]
srvy 10:29 PM 12-03-2022
I am just speaking of single stage reloaders not progressive etc.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 10:39 PM 12-03-2022
I own a Lee single-stage and a Dillon RL550c for progressive.

Depending on your budget, it's hard to do better than a blue machine.
[Reply]
Delaney37 12:01 AM 12-04-2022
Originally Posted by kjwood75nro:
I own a Lee single-stage and a Dillon RL550c for progressive.

Depending on your budget, it's hard to do better than a blue machine.
Planning on just starting with a single stage and as I get more comfortable at reloading stepping up to a progressive one. The Dillon is definitely on my radar. Thanks.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 10:05 AM 12-04-2022
Unless the reloading market has changed in the last year?
Good luck finding reloading supplies.. Primers were especially hard to find last year.and if you found a box of a 1000. They were going for 80 to 100 bucks..
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:58 AM 12-04-2022
RCBS single stage is the benchmark for starter kits.

Personally, I think every reloader should have at least one single stage, and everyone should start reloading on a single stage, but I'm a little old school on those points. Lot of people think differently nowadays.

If you think you'll ever need/want to reload several hundred/thousands of rounds a week, look at a turret, like this one from RCBS:
[URL="https://www.rcbs.com/presses/turret/turret-press/16-88901.html"]https://www.rcbs.com/presses/turret/turret-press/16-88901.html[/URL

Around 2.5 times faster than a single once you get used to it, and can also be used as a single stage. Just ever so slightly less precise because of the flex.

I could write pages on this subject, so I'll leave it here. Congrats on starting reloading. It can be pretty fun at times, or at least cathartic most of the time. Just do everyone a favor and don't watch TV while reloading. We prefer our fellow reloaders to have all their fingers at all times.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:53 PM 01-11-2023
Got my first wheel gun...

.357 Ruger GP100; 4.2 inch barrel with a nice little hogue/hardwood grip.

Man, I REALLY like this gun. Just a silky smooth mechanism and just enough weight to feel substantial without feeling heavy.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:01 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Man, I REALLY like this gun. Just a silky smooth mechanism and just enough weight to feel substantial without feeling heavy.
Lol, you got to be kidding me. My favorite all-around revolver. i have three of them; two 4-inchers and a 6. Great guns. Use mine primarily as woods guns, but the 6-incher with a few mods is a pretty good bowling pin gun; more accurate than me past 50 yards. Look at Miculek if you end up looking for a slightly softer mainspring. Between that and a slightly softer trigger return spring you can get it down to about 7.0-7.5 lbs trigger pull; sweet shooter then.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:14 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Lol, you got to be kidding me. My favorite all-around revolver. i have three of them; two 4-inchers and a 6. Great guns. Use mine primarily as woods guns, but the 6-incher with a few mods is a pretty good bowling pin gun; more accurate than me past 50 yards. Look at Miculek if you end up looking for a slightly softer mainspring. Between that and a slightly softer trigger return spring you can get it down to about 7.0-7.5 lbs trigger pull; sweet shooter then.
If I have a complaint, that would be it. That trigger pull is a little stiff. But that's not unexpected for a double-action revolver. You want at least a little feedback; last thing you need to do is to blow a hole in your foot because you snagged a trigger on something.

I'm not sure I'd have ever bothered to leave an empty cylinder but that transfer bar does provide a slightly greater level of confidence. Truth be told, I think the idea of accidental discharges are pretty overblown. Sure, it can happen when you have a pen resting on a round like that but c'mon - that's a pretty extraordinary set of circumstances.
[Reply]
poolboy 05:16 PM 01-11-2023

great choice:-) cant go wrong right there
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 05:20 PM 01-11-2023
Got a revolver because I was tired of watching my wife point a loaded gun at her stomach trying to pull the slide back on my .40.

The barriers to entry on the revolver are quite a bit lower.

"Here - just grab this from the safe, point it in a general direction and keep pulling the trigger until it clicks. We're done here..."

Gonna get some 38 special wad-cutters to teach her on and frankly I'll probably just leave it loaded with those for home defense. Not as though that's not gonna stop someone if you hit 'em.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:20 PM 01-11-2023
If I have a complaint, that would be it. That trigger pull is a little stiff. But that's not unexpected for a double-action revolver. You want at least a little feedback; last thing you need to do is to blow a hole in your foot because you snagged a trigger on something.

I'm not sure I'd have ever bothered to leave an empty cylinder but that transfer bar does provide a slightly greater level of confidence. Truth be told, I think the idea of accidental discharges are pretty overblown. Sure, it can happen when you have a pen resting on a round like that but c'mon - that's a pretty extraordinary set of circumstances.
Never had a single issue with my GPs. owned one for at least 30 years. That one now has about 6.5lb trigger pull by virtue of just pulling the trigger 30,000+ times. But the Miculek aftermarket springs basically give you the same pull for about $25(I think) and ten minutes to switch them in/out. Gunsprings.com is another place that has good springs, even have the Miculek ones i think, or used to.

Ever want to talk sights/mods/bullet recipes, I'll enjoy that conversation.
[Reply]
Page 325 of 341
« First < 225275315321322323324325 326327328329335 > Last »
Up