ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 18
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
booger 01:13 PM 06-18-2021
Ryne Nutt was the southeast scout I believe when Jones was drafted. He was asked about a comparison and he mentioned a couple of good players and purposely didn’t compare him to a couple great players. He mentioned Marcus Stroud and Haynesworth(but quick to say haynesworth the player not the shitty attitude). And John Henderson he was dominant until a back injury. All the reporters were waiting for him to call him the next Richard Seymour but he wasn’t going to put that kind of pressure on him. It’s like comparing Mahomes to Favre and doing it publicly in front of the local media and not just privately.

That’s what he’s become though is a modern day Richard Seymour. And like Richard started off in a 3-4 and moved to a 4-3 when he got traded to Oakland and played much more DE there and then compared to where he will play now. But I don’t see Jones getting the same high percentage snaps at End as Seymour did. Just comparing he is athletic enough to do it and be very successful

It’s not reinventing the wheel. Reggie White in Green Bay played strong side end because of his size and length and what that did to boost their run defense. He slid back inside in obvious pass situations. Justin Tuck and those type of comps is different because you’re talking about a capable DE who is physically tough enough to play inside and allow you more athleticism on pass downs. Similar to moving Jones around just for different reasons. Hell, Neil Smith occasionally slid inside to DT and was like Jones with a knack for knocking down passes. But an all pro if you leave his ass outside at DE.

What you’re not bright enough to see is these are different looks for the QB Entire OL RB offensive coordinator and whole offensive staff. To cause chaos and confusion pre snap and their whole week of film prep for that matter.

You’re not bright enough to see the DL like a bullpen in baseball. You have your prototype that spags likes but also someone like Danna who you hope opponents breathe a sigh of relief when he comes in because he is smaller shorter armed but he’s tough and smart and competes very. Wharton is like a young John Randle. What more do you need to say when you have a Seymour comp and a John randle comp with some guys that are very athletic and have piled up their own sack stats when healthy which is another thread all in itself. The rest need more experience and snaps but have a great scouting and coaching staff. For most of us to enjoy them while they’re here. Most of us anyway.

Most of us look at the arrowhead pride twinks and the like of amateur podcast stuff as a small piece of the pie and take them for what their worth. Sometimes more informative than others and for some it will give them a way to understand the game better but that’s not important as long as you enjoy it.

What I find dumb and different people are going to feel different is this recreating football discussion and trying to turn it into some form of football intellect which is pure donkey shit. It just douches up everything. Like smelling your own farts and coming up with fancy names to attach to the fragrances. If you try to put your own douchey touches and give everyone a golden shower of your football intellect don’t be surprised when they call you out on it.

We’ve been following this team and league for more years than we would like to admit and it’s just fine with the X’s and O’s not being all dramatically rewritten
[Reply]
flinchfree 01:18 PM 06-18-2021
This thread made my eyes bleed.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:37 PM 06-18-2021
I'm really late to this thread, but I hope the move to DE works out. I think Jones' unique strength is his burst up the middle and power. He doesn't bend at corners like a classic edge rusher.

He's unique in that he's not built like a classic tackle, but he seems too big to be a 4-3 end. I wonder if that's part of his magic, in that he's not like any other guys that offensive linemen see on film.

But I worry a little bit about him at end. Tackles are going to be quicker against his burst, and after that it's going to be all about power, where it helps to be lined up closer to the QB.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:41 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm really late to this thread, but I hope the move to DE works out. I think Jones' unique strength is his burst up the middle and power. He doesn't bend at corners like a classic edge rusher.

He's unique in that he's not built like a classic tackle, but he seems too big to be a 4-3 end. I wonder if that's part of his magic, in that he's not like any other guys that offensive linemen see on film.

But I worry a little bit about him at end. Tackles are going to be quicker against his burst, and after that it's going to be all about power, where it helps to be lined up closer to the QB.
He’s not going to be asked to be an edge rusher. He will still be rushing from the interior the majority of passing downs.
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:21 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He’s not going to be asked to be an edge rusher. He will still be rushing from the interior the majority of passing downs.
This is the exact opposite of what was discussed all week on 610 and 810.

Jones wants to be a DE full time and says he plans on dominating.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:35 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
This is the exact opposite of what was discussed all week on 610 and 810.

Jones wants to be a DE full time and says he plans on dominating.
Lol no. He’s absolutely not going to be a DE full time. There are photos with him lining up inside next to Reed from OTA’s.

Spags himself has even said whether he plays DE or not will depend on matchups.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:15 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Lol no. He’s absolutely not going to be a DE full time. There are photos with him lining up inside next to Reed from OTA’s.

Spags himself has even said whether he plays DE or not will depend on matchups.
OTA photos don't mean much. I was just stating what Jones wants and thinks he is capable of.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:32 PM 06-18-2021
man. I love to talk football, but this is not fun.
[Reply]
BlackOp 10:57 PM 06-18-2021
I think people are reading way too much into this...KC signing Reed is allowing them to experiment. They also lost K-Pass so they might be seeing if Jones can fill in..if an injury occurs.

Giving Reed a ton of reps, in a new defense, during OTAs probably has a lot to do with this also..

They arent going to play the 2nd best DT in the NFL out of position much...unless there is a mismatch they might try to exploit.

That said... it would be cool if it works out but its an entirely different position...the odds are pretty slim.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 11:28 AM 06-19-2021
Jones is the best pass rusher on this team.

They're going to line him up everywhere on the DL. Teams will have to try and plan for that. Good luck.
[Reply]
JakeF 03:52 PM 06-19-2021
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
Jones is the best pass rusher on this team.

They're going to line him up everywhere on the DL. Teams will have to try and plan for that. Good luck.
Yea, if Jones proves that he dominate OTs like does guards. If Jones doesn't then teams will be happy that we moved him and reduced the threat Jones brings. Jones also has to prove he can handle sweeps and draws that run around/under the DE. Jones struggled with jumping under quickly enough on run plays.

I'm not saying that Jones can't, just that must prove it to offenses before they respect him at DE.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:30 AM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Yea, if Jones proves that he dominate OTs like does guards. If Jones doesn't then teams will be happy that we moved him and reduced the threat Jones brings. Jones also has to prove he can handle sweeps and draws that run around/under the DE. Jones struggled with jumping under quickly enough on run plays.

I'm not saying that Jones can't, just that must prove it to offenses before they respect him at DE.
And if he doesn't, then they'll move him back inside.

Some people here are acting like once we've put him outside they can't change it. Hell, they're going to change it from snap to snap and game to game.

Wringing your hands over this is ridiculous.
[Reply]
JakeF 05:01 PM 06-20-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
And if he doesn't, then they'll move him back inside.

Some people here are acting like once we've put him outside they can't change it. Hell, they're going to change it from snap to snap and game to game.

Wringing your hands over this is ridiculous.
I was never wringing my hands, I was just discussing the thread topic.

Drink a gallon of antifreeze, light yourself on fire, Fuck off and die.
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:31 AM 06-19-2021
Worked for Aaron Donald and JJ Watt

:-)
[Reply]
O.city 09:17 AM 06-21-2021
Reading Nate Taylor and Verderame this am, seems like JOnes may play more DE than we were thinking.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 18
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Up