ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 27 of 39
« First < 172324252627 2829303137 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What's wrong with Mecole Hardman - Part 2
dlphg9 05:43 AM 02-17-2021
Spoiler alert!

Nothing is wrong with him! Unless you consider Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce as being a problem.

Mecole was 3rd on the team in targets (62), rec yards (560), and rec TDs (4). Those stats are right in line with any other teams 3rd most productive receiver and none of those other teams had 2 guys that were 1st team AP in front of that guy.

Green Bay Packers #1 ranked scoring offense
3rd most productive receiving option
Robert Tonyan - 59 targets, 52 rec, 586 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 212
Rec - 148
Yards - 2064

Buffalo Bills #2 ranked scoring offense
Gabriel Davis - 62 targets, 35 rec, 599 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 273
Rec - 209
Yards - 2502

Tampa Bay Buccaneers #3 ranked scoring offense
Rob Gronkowski - 77 targets, 45 rec, 623 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 193
Rec - 135
Yards - 1846

Tennessee Titans #4 ranked scoring offense
Jonnu Smith - 65 targets, 41 rec, 448 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 198
Rec - 135
Yards - 2059

New Orleans Saints #5 ranked scoring offense
Jared Cook - 60 targets, 37 rec, 504 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 189
Rec - 144
Yards - 1482

Baltimore Ravens #7 ranked scoring offense
Willie Snead - 48 targets, 33 rec, 432 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 188
Rec - 116
Yards - 1470

Seattle Seahawks #8 ranked scoring offense
David Moore - 47 targets, 35 rec, 417 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 261
Rec - 183
Yards - 2357

Indianapolis Colts #9 ranked scoring offense
Michael Pittman Jr. - 61 targets, 40 rec, 503 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 164
Rec - 99
Yards - 1391

Las Vegas Raiders #10 ranked scoring offense
Hunter Renfrow - 77 targets, 56 rec, 656 yds

Top 2 options
Targets - 227
Rec - 155
Yards - 2092

Average for top 10 scoring offense's 3rd most productive receiving option :

Targets - 62
Receptions - 41
Yards - 530

Average for top 10 scoring offense's top 2 most productive receiving options combined :

Targets - 212
Receptions - 147
Yards - 1918

This is how Hardman stacks up against the other teams 3rd receiving option

Targets - 62 (62 avg)
Receptions - 41 (41 avg)
Yards - 560 (530 avg)

Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce combined

Targets - 280 (most in group)
Receptions - 192 (2nd most in group)
Yards - 2692 (most in group)

So what we can see from these stats above is that nothing is up with Mecole Hardman. His targets and reception matched the average of the 9 other top offenses 3rd receiving option and he was above average in yards, but the big huge difference is Travis Kelce and Tyreek Hill just happen to be on the same team as him. Those two have 68 more combined targets, 45 more combined receptions, and 774 more combined yards than the others teams top 2 receiving threats.

TLDR;

Nothing is wrong, he's right in line with the other teams 3rd most productive pass catchers. Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce are monsters and the best pass catching duo in a long ass time.

PS:

Seriously Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce are so good! There was only 11 QBs with more TD passes than those 2 had receiving TDs.

PSS:

Fucking Cam Newton started 15 games and had 45 less passing yards than Hill and Kelce had rec yards in the same amount of games!

PSSS:

Fucking MVP Lamar had 65 more passing yards than Hill and Kelce had rec yards and they tied for the same amount of passing TDs to receiving TDs.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:17 AM 08-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
yeah, except Watkins was NEVER healthy, and caught 37 balls.

That's it. 37.

We're freaking out over 37 catches.
I think you're missing my point. I was saying that when tyreek was out, the offense regressed but Watkins was serviceable as wr1. When tyreek and Watkins were out, every single one of our receivers struggled. That's the situation we're in today if we lose tyreek. I could care less about losing Sammy who never saw the field. I am just pointing to the importance of having a clear WR2. And we don't have that right now until somebody steps up to it.

Nobody is freaking out over this. We can win without it. But we really need one of our guys to step up to that role and so far nobody has.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:22 AM 08-25-2021
Originally Posted by penchief:
Hardman is a big play waiting to happen. He has elite talent. He just hasn't fully matured as a football player on or off the field. But he's a good kid. Andy and Pat are pushing him to take the next step. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. If and when it does, look out.

I'm amazed when I watch him move on the field. His stride is a bit unorthodox and makes him look much slower than he really is. But the elite athleticism is there. The TD catch against the cardinals showed great concentration and coordination to adjust to the underthrown ball and make that catch. One of my favorite Mahomes plays is the 5-yard TD pass in the back corner of the end zone against the Saints. Hardman made that catch look easy. He has really good body control.

I think our disappointment in Hardman is that we all see what he can be. We are anticipating it and the wait is pissing us off. But Hardman's ceiling is well worth the wait, IMO.
At worst we have a good Swiss army knife. Which is still useful. He does really well when he gets the ball and has a little space. My favorite part about the highlight reels is how quickly he separates once he accelerates. It's off the charts. We just need him to get better at finding ways before the catch to get the ball in his hands.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:15 PM 09-12-2021
3 catches for 19 yards isn’t going to cut it.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:17 PM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
For the season? No.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:18 PM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
He had just 3 fucking targets and caught all 3.

When Kelce and Hill combine for 17 catches 273 yards and 3 TD’s you aren’t going to get much from anybody else.

Some of you are literally fucking retarded.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:19 PM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
He had just 3 ****ing targets and caught all 3.

When Kelce and Hill combine for 17 catches 273 yards and 3 TD’s you aren’t going to get much from anybody else.

Some of you are literally ****ing retarded.
Exactly. Some Chief Fans, apparently, feel that Pat needs to target Hill and Kelce less. I'm not in that camp.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:23 PM 09-12-2021
The guy literally ran out of bounds on 2nd and 9 with at least two yards to spare.

He's fucking stupid. That's his problem. He's not very smart.
[Reply]
-King- 08:28 PM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
The guy literally ran out of bounds on 2nd and 9 with at least two yards to spare.

:-)
[Reply]
Bowser 08:36 PM 09-12-2021

He's not DeMarcus Robinson stop-and-let-the-defenders-close-the-gap fucking stupid, though. But yeah.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:38 PM 09-12-2021
Although I still expect him to make big time plays for us I'm not going continue to defend him with stupidity of not making a first down by going out of bounds short of the sticks.

Come on Hardman
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 10:24 PM 09-12-2021
He was also late getting on the field for a punt return because he couldn't find his helmet...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:27 PM 09-12-2021

Yeah I saw this at the game and was like WTF.

Mecole is just another dumb kid from a tiny town in georgia. 4.2 speed is the only reason he's come this far.

His career will be jet sweeps, reverses, punt returns and broken coverages.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:32 PM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
Although I still expect him to make big time plays for us I'm not going continue to defend him with stupidity of not making a first down by going out of bounds short of the sticks.

Come on Hardman
Thank you for this. It's reasonable and realistic.

Hardman just plays dumb football. And that's the biggest problem. It's not that he doesn't have talent - it's just that that talent will get him a ton of looks and he has a huge possibility of fucking it up and being a major negative if things don't go well.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:37 PM 09-12-2021
If Mecole had any ability to line up and do things like run professional route trees against better than average corners, he'd be doing it.

The Chiefs would have seen it in practice already, and he'd be an absolutely lethal weapon with defenses focused on K&H.

But putting him in that role continues to be dicey at best. You can't count on Hardman play to play....he's a guy who disappears for stretches and then makes a huge play out of nowhere.

So most likely he's just going to keep splitting time with D-Rob.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 10:39 PM 09-12-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Yeah I saw this at the game and was like WTF.

Mecole is just another dumb kid from a tiny town in georgia. 4.2 speed is the only reason he's come this far.

His career will be jet sweeps, reverses, punt returns and broken coverages.
I disagree, a little.

The 4.2 speed is why he played college football at an SEC school. The 4.2 speed is probably why he got a pass in high school. And the 4.2 speed is why he probably got the same pass in college.

Learning how to run a full route tree in Reid's offense isn't easy. Tyreek, for all his stupid antics, is pretty damn smart.

Sammy Watkins hindered Hardman's development because his presence limited Hardman's role, and snaps.

I still believe that he can be coached up, and it's only his 3rd year in the league, and his 1st year with a larger role in the offense.

And while I think he can be coached up, I know for a fact that you can't teach 4.2 speed.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 27 of 39
« First < 172324252627 2829303137 > Last »
Up