« First < 19596566676869 7071727379 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach is the best GM in the NFL
staylor26 11:51 AM 07-14-2020
I don’t think it’s even debatable at this point
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:26 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
This.

It's an overblown narrative mostly coming from those who will always find something to bitch about.
How is it an overblown narrative? I admittedly err more on the side of bitching (a lot), no argument there, but do you really not think it's been a significant weakness and cause for concern so far? It's okay to give credit to Veach where he's done well while also realizing where he needs improvement. To compare Veach to Dayton Moore, so far it's akin to Moore's inability to find pitching. Now Moore failed at that over 15+ years rather than a few picks over a 4-5 year period, so not quite the same thing, but in both cases it's something that can be the downfall of a GM if the decision making doesn't improve in that area.
[Reply]
CapsLockKey 12:27 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
It doesn't seem a strength of his. We really need a Pittsburgh-esque identification of WRs. Trying to think of others that really nail the skill positions.
I don't know if it's the Steelers simply ignore potential diva/dumbass personalities or if it's groomed within the organization after they are drafted. They have a long history of getting knucklehead WRs that are great on the field for a few years before they wear out their welcome and become someone else's problem. Plaxico, Wallace, Holmes, AB, soon to be Claypool. Pickens is probably next. Hines Ward is the only mainstay I can think of and he was just a plain old ahole.
[Reply]
louie aguiar 12:34 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
Yep. Wish that could be said for drafting skill position players. Cant remember the last good one Veach drafted.
I think Skyy Moore will end that streak.
[Reply]
JPH83 12:49 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by CapsLockKey:
I don't know if it's the Steelers simply ignore potential diva/dumbass personalities or if it's groomed within the organization after they are drafted. They have a long history of getting knucklehead WRs that are great on the field for a few years before they wear out their welcome and become someone else's problem. Plaxico, Wallace, Holmes, AB, soon to be Claypool. Pickens is probably next. Hines Ward is the only mainstay I can think of and he was just a plain old ahole.
Yeah they definitely seem to draft an unusual amount of highly talented divas. Perhaps they're less inclined to care about the attitude when the talent is decent. Given ABs issues beyond Pitt it feels like it's more the players than them creating the problem internally. But you're right, they seem to wring a few good years from skill position players and then wave goodbye when they overstay their welcome.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:08 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
How is it an overblown narrative? I admittedly err more on the side of bitching (a lot), no argument there, but do you really not think it's been a significant weakness and cause for concern so far? It's okay to give credit to Veach where he's done well while also realizing where he needs improvement. To compare Veach to Dayton Moore, so far it's akin to Moore's inability to find pitching. Now Moore failed at that over 15+ years rather than a few picks over a 4-5 year period, so not quite the same thing, but in both cases it's something that can be the downfall of a GM if the decision making doesn't improve in that area.
It's an overblown narrative because it's basically based entirely on Hardman and CEH. It's hardly the pattern that people like you want to make it out to be. As SNR said, if anything, the complaint should be that he hasn't taken enough swings.

And I'm pretty sure that it's just a matter of time before Skyy and Pacheco kill it entirely.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:11 PM 10-01-2022
I remember when people said that Veach (and the Chiefs in general) couldn't draft edge rushers because of Speaks and KPass.

Funny how quickly George Karlaftis made people forget about that narrative.
[Reply]
O.city 02:19 PM 10-01-2022
I dunno that he’s a cornerstone type player yet tho

But the majority of those guys come early in the draft. It’s the way it is. Not gonna find many star pass rushers or wrs later in draft early in their playing careers. Gonna take some time.
[Reply]
RealSNR 02:38 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I dunno that he’s a cornerstone type player yet tho

But the majority of those guys come early in the draft. It’s the way it is. Not gonna find many star pass rushers or wrs later in draft early in their playing careers. Gonna take some time.

Exactly.

People are legit bitching about 2nd round WRs not being top 15 at the position in the league.

The fact he drafted a guy in the 2nd round who didn’t turn out to be a total bust should at least get him a “well, he drafted and got to the minimum expectation.”

That doesn’t count for anything, but it also shouldn’t count against him
[Reply]
RunKC 02:43 PM 10-01-2022
The CEH pick was just fucking dumb. It made no sense at the time and still makes no sense.

The offense isn’t run based. They don’t even like running the ball. Both Patrick and Andy are pass first.

Higgins looked like a really good Sammy Watkins replacement. No idea why they didn’t go that route
[Reply]
staylor26 02:44 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Exactly.

People are legit bitching about 2nd round WRs not being top 15 at the position in the league.

The fact he drafted a guy in the 2nd round who didn’t turn out to be a total bust should at least get him a “well, he drafted and got to the minimum expectation.”

That doesn’t count for anything, but it also shouldn’t count against him
Exactly.

It's not like Hardman was Parris Campbell or JJ Arcega-Whiteside either.
[Reply]
Best22 02:48 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The CEH pick was just ****ing dumb. It made no sense at the time and still makes no sense.

The offense isn’t run based. They don’t even like running the ball. Both Patrick and Andy are pass first.

Higgins looked like a really good Sammy Watkins replacement. No idea why they didn’t go that route
The thinking was that our offense was filled out everywhere (solid O-line, elite TE, elite QB, elite receiver along with possession guy Sammy Watkins and an emerging (or so we thought) speed receiver in Mecole Hardman. Offense looked stacked we just needed a do it all RB to really complete the offense and head back on another SB run

Grabbing a receiver would’ve seemed to be drafting for depth. A rookie isn’t starting over Hill or Watkins, and why draft another rookie receiver when Hardman showed promise and it was believable he could develop into a solid #3 WR?

Taking a guy like JT still would’ve been a good pick but drafting Higgins would’ve been 200IQ thinking. Too bad we didn’t. If CEH was a Jamaal Charles or even a Kareem Hunt, the offense would’ve been unbelievable. Teams started playing us with alot of 2 deep in 2020 and an elite RB would’ve really opened things up. 33ppg+
[Reply]
JPH83 02:50 PM 10-01-2022
Exactly.

It's not like Hardman was Parris Campbell or JJ Arcega-Whiteside either.
What about CEH? And people have already also mentioned acquisitions beyond the draft. To be honest, I liked Moore and I'm pretty hopeful he works out, I think it was a good pick. Pacheco in the 7th could absolutely end up as a steal. But we don't have much to go on do we? Best you can say is he hasn't made many picks.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:52 PM 10-01-2022
I remember when people said that Veach (and the Chiefs in general) couldn't draft edge rushers because of Speaks and KPass.

Funny how quickly George Karlaftis made people forget about that narrative.
I honestly think if Danna keeps playing at the level we've seen then that's the biggest feather in his cap re DE.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:00 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
What about CEH? And people have already also mentioned acquisitions beyond the draft. To be honest, I liked Moore and I'm pretty hopeful he works out, I think it was a good pick. Pacheco in the 7th could absolutely end up as a steal. But we don't have much to go on do we? Best you can say is he hasn't made many picks.
That is what I have been saying...
[Reply]
O.city 03:10 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Best22:
The thinking was that our offense was filled out everywhere (solid O-line, elite TE, elite QB, elite receiver along with possession guy Sammy Watkins and an emerging (or so we thought) speed receiver in Mecole Hardman. Offense looked stacked we just needed a do it all RB to really complete the offense and head back on another SB run

Grabbing a receiver would’ve seemed to be drafting for depth. A rookie isn’t starting over Hill or Watkins, and why draft another rookie receiver when Hardman showed promise and it was believable he could develop into a solid #3 WR?

Taking a guy like JT still would’ve been a good pick but drafting Higgins would’ve been 200IQ thinking. Too bad we didn’t. If CEH was a Jamaal Charles or even a Kareem Hunt, the offense would’ve been unbelievable. Teams started playing us with alot of 2 deep in 2020 and an elite RB would’ve really opened things up. 33ppg+
The issue is you drafted him because you “needed” a rb. It was short sighted.
[Reply]
Page 69 of 112
« First < 19596566676869 7071727379 > Last »
Up