ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 9
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Name your All-time top 5 defensive players for the Chiefs.
Mr_Tomahawk 09:35 AM 03-01-2024
Go!
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:48 AM 03-01-2024
Mike Mazlowski
Boomer Grigsby
Rich Scanlon
R-Kal Truluck
John McGraw
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:34 PM 03-01-2024
KeiVarae Russell gave up 0 regular or postseason touchdowns.

In fact, I don’t remember him allowing a regular or postseason catch.

Never missed a tackle either.

Flawless.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:13 PM 03-01-2024
Originally Posted by O.city:
Honestly....how could anyone list Berry in this? I mean, he was a fine player in the years he wasn't hurt but.....yeah.
He was much better than a “fine” player. He played five full seasons and made All-Pro three of those.

What’s even more impressive is how he earned the honors. In 2013, he was more of a box safety. We were one of the best teams at covering TEs thanks to him. He was also a good blitzer. Then in 2016 he earned his All-Pro as more of a deep safety.

He also had 5 TDs in his short career. Dude was a game changer.
[Reply]
ROYC75 01:25 PM 03-01-2024
Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
Derrick Thomas
Buck Buchanan
Chris Jones

Then you have following,

Dale Carter, Albert Lewis,Neil Smith, Tamba Hali,Derron Cherry.
[Reply]
redfan 01:27 PM 03-01-2024
Willie Lanier
Buck Buchanan
Johnny Robinson
DT
CJ
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:50 PM 03-01-2024
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
1. DT
2. Dale Carter
3. Chris Jones
4. Deron Cherry
5. Derrick Johnson
Exactly my list, Loved me some Dale Carter.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:59 PM 03-01-2024
Originally Posted by el borracho:
Seriously, though, Dale Carter's tackle against the Chargers on the punt return is one of my all time favorite football memories.

That in mind:
D Thomas
Dale Carter
Dan Saleamua
Jared Allen
Chris Jones

Special mention- anyone not named Dee Ford
I remember a game Madden was calling we were playing the Redskins and the Skins ran a sweep and had a convoy. Saw Dale Carter come in as one of the only Chiefs in the same zip code and sweep about 5 guys and make in incredible sacrifice your body play for about a 5 yard loss. Probably would have been a TD in most scenarios.
[Reply]
frozenchief 02:03 PM 03-01-2024
Originally Posted by kcgreene:
1. Willie Lanier
2. Buck Buchanan
3. Bobby Bell
4. Derrick Thomas
5. Chris Jones

Honorable Mention: Derrick Johnson (My personal favorite defensive player ever, but obviously not one of these guys in terms of talent and production)
I don't know the order but this is my exact list, including DJ as honorable mention. Maybe because 4 of those 5 are in HOF.

Jones so far has had a spectacular career but will he go to Canton? 3 rings is a pretty good argument for going. Do his other numbers justify his entry?
[Reply]
kcgreene 02:15 PM 03-01-2024
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
I don't know the order but this is my exact list, including DJ as honorable mention. Maybe because 4 of those 5 are in HOF.

Jones so far has had a spectacular career but will he go to Canton? 3 rings is a pretty good argument for going. Do his other numbers justify his entry?
Last year I thought Jones was borderline HoF. After this one, I think he's in. He's the Defensive Centerpiece of a Dynasty.

This is one of those times where I'm happy to admit I was wrong. I wanted to trade him last year and this year really opened my eyes how much to how important and effective he is to this team (Not to say I didn't see how important he was, just more didn't appreciate how truly great he is during last offseason)
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:45 PM 03-01-2024
Objectively, you kind of have to go with Hall of Famers or surefire HoFers-to-be. That would put me at:

1. Buck Buchanan. He helped the HoF guys behind him more than they helped him.
2. Derrick Thomas
3. Willie Lanier (or maybe Bell)
4. Bobby Bell
5. Johnny Robinson

Emmitt Thomas might be on the list, but it's hard since we have so many great CBs in our history. Chris Jones isn't yet a surefire HoFer, but he's made critical plays in Super Bowls to the point where I could argue for him as 4th or 5th. I could also argue for any of the guys below.

The best that I've seen play as an adult are:

1. Derrick Thomas
2. Gary Barbaro - this guy would absolutely be a Hall of Famer if he didn't go to the USFL
3. Albert Lewis
4. Deron Cherry
5. Art Still - underrecognized because he played 3-4 end on bad teams.

Chris Jones could/should be on this list, and other guys like Neil Smith, Dale Carter too. Sneed and McDuffie can make an argument if they keep up their play for another couple of years.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 04:47 PM 03-01-2024
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
5. Art Still - underrecognized because he played 3-4 end on bad teams......
Thanks for mentioning Art. Not sure he's top 5, but worth a mention.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04:48 PM 03-01-2024
In no order but Chris Jones, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali and Buck Buchanan
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 04:49 PM 03-01-2024
Derrick Thomas
Deron Cherry

Eric Berry

Chris Jones

Nick Bolton* (if he keeps playing this way) (lanier was before i was born)
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:50 PM 03-01-2024
I think PFR's "Approximate Value" variable has some weaknesses, but if you look at their career AV numbers, here's the all-time Chiefs defense in terms of career contribution.

S - Johnny Robinson
S - Deron Cherry
CB - Emmitt Thomas
CB - Albert Lewis
OLB - Bobby Bell
OLB - Derrick Thomas
MLB - Willie Lanier
DE - Jerry Mays
DE - Neil Smith
DT - Buck Buchanan
DT - Chris Jones
[Reply]