ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>"Nothing" Mock 2/22/24
kccrow 03:39 AM 02-22-2024
Let's say Veach gets a little... Veachy... this offseason. I'm kind of playing off a post in the lounge about him doing "nothing," but we know it won't quite be "nothing." It's just an exercise in pissing people off (perhaps) and doing the exact opposite of what everyone wants to see him do. And after running the exercise, I'd be pretty fucking happy if it went this way, to be honest.

Extensions
OC Creed Humphrey 5y/67.5m w/8.75m SB Cap hits: 3.5/9.5/12.5/13.5/14.5/15.8 (+1.75)

Releases
WR Marquez Valdez-Scantling (-12.0)

Trades
Chiefs trade WR Kadarius Toney to anyone for a conditional 2025 7th-round pick (-2.53)
Chiefs tag and trade DT Chris Jones to the Houston Texans for pick 1-23 (because they must at least tag and trade one Jones or Sneed and Jones has more value).

Restructures
QB Patrick Mahomes convert 15.9m of roster bonus to signing bonus (-11.48), which is enough to have the space to tag Jones and still do some deals like tag ERFAs and sign a priority guy or two.

FA Re-Signings
LT Donovan Smith 1y/10.0m w/3.0m SB - Another year to prep Wanya
WR Mecole Hardman 3y/15.0m w/5.1m SB Cap Hits: 3.5/5.5/6.0 - Consistently good special teamer and slot WR
P Tommy Townsend 4y/12.4m w/4.0m SB Cap Hits: 2.3/3.1/3.3/3.7
LS James Winchester 3y/4.6m w/800k SB Cap Hits: 1.5/1.5/1.6
DT Isaiah Buggs 1y/1.3m (signed Reserve/Futures Deal already)
DE Malik Herring ERFA Tender
DB Nazeeh Johnson ERFA Tender
LB Jack Cochrane ERFA Tender
OG Mike Caliendo ERFA Tender
LB Cole Christiansen ERFA Tender

Chiefs let the rest walk, including Sneed.

FA Signings
DT Justin Jones (CHI) 2y/14.0m - Solid 3T until youth is ready
QB Carson Wentz (LAR) 1y/1.4m - Better backup QB
WR Van Jefferson (ATL) 1y/1.3m - Solid speed/size combo James replacement
TE Harrison Bryant (CLE) 1y/1.8m - Good blocker to replace Bell
DE Yetur Gross-Matos (CAR) 1y/2.5m - Good rotational end that would at least replace Omenihu until he's ready to go
LB Mack Wilson (NE) 1y/1.8m - Quality special teams LB and situational player

The Draft
1-023. DT Jer'Zahn Newton, Illinois - Jones replacement
1-032. CB Kamari Lassiter, Georgia - Sneed replacement
2-064. WR Ricky Pearsall, Florida - More speed and hands
3-095. LB Jaylan Ford, Texas - Tranquill replacement
4-133. DT DeWayne Carter, Duke - More pass rush from the UT
5-158. OT Sataoa Laumea, Utah - Future Thuney replacement
5-172. RB Emani Bailey, TCU - McKinnon replacement
7-250. SS Kenny Logan Jr, Kansas - Special teams headhunter

QB: P. Mahomes, C. Wentz
RB: I. Pacheco, L. Perine, E. Bailey
WR: R. Rice, R. Pearsall, M. Hardman, V. Jefferson, J. Watson, S. Moore
TE: T. Kelce, N. Gray, H. Bryant
LT: D. Smith, W. Morris
LG: J. Thuney, S. Laumea
OC: C. Humphrey, M. Caliendo
RG: T. Smith
RT: J. Taylor, L. Niang
DE: G. Karlaftis, M. Herring, C. Omenihu(*IR)
DT: J. Jones, J. Newton
NT: I. Buggs, D. Carter, N. Ferrell
DE: F. Anudike-Uzomah, Y. Gross-Matos, B. Thompson
LB: N. Bolton, L. Chenal, J. Ford, M. Wilson, C. Jones
CB: T. McDuffie, K. Lassiter, J. Williams, J. Watson, N. Jones
DB: J. Reid, B. Cook, C. Conner, N. Johnson, K. Logan
ST: H. Butker, T. Townsend, J. Winchester
[Reply]
kcbubb 04:40 AM 02-22-2024
Really nice work. Really mixing it up here with options I wouldn’t have dreamed of. This would terrify me though from a risk standpoint. Could it work? Absolutely, could it implode? Absolutely. Too risky for me but interesting to look at.
[Reply]
Toad 07:55 AM 02-22-2024
the Seinfeld plan
[Reply]
Coogs 08:18 AM 02-22-2024
This may be asking quite a bit crow, but in the keeping Sneed and Jones scenario the Bank of Mahomes gets tapped for the maximum amount. Could you put together what this plan might look like under those same conditions?
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:35 AM 02-22-2024
Holy smokes you let Jones and Sneed walk and paid Mecole Hardman. lmao

I really don't like Newton as a fit in KC. Feels like the kinda guy the Chiefs could maximize, however, but doesn't feel like a Spags fit.
[Reply]
Coogs 02-22-2024, 09:05 AM
This message has been deleted by Coogs.
duncan_idaho 09:51 AM 02-22-2024
I appreciate the exercise and what you did with the assets (I'd be tempted to swap the DT and CB spots, might be interesting to run this with Quinyon Mitchell instead of Lassiter and see what DT you can get at 32).

It seems like this plan would have ONE significant FA move that isn't tracked here. If you're trading Jones and letting Sneed walk, there's money to spend SOMEWHERE on an above-average starter.
[Reply]
wachashi 09:59 AM 02-22-2024
I'm extremely skeptical of Morris' ability to become a legit starting LT for us, so I see the Smith re-signing as a stopgap. And if we're going to let Sneed and Jones go, I think I would be pretty disappointed to not come away with a surefire LT of the future in exchange.

This seems like a rebuilding type of plan, but without the most important foundational piece.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:00 AM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by wachashi:
I'm extremely skeptical of Morris' ability to become a legit starting LT for us, so I see the Smith re-signing as a stopgap. And if we're going to let Sneed and Jones go, I think I would be pretty disappointed to not come away with a surefire LT of the future in exchange.

This seems like a rebuilding type of plan, but without the most important foundational piece.
Same. I am high on the idea of him becoming a quality pass-blocking LG, though.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:11 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I appreciate the exercise and what you did with the assets (I'd be tempted to swap the DT and CB spots, might be interesting to run this with Quinyon Mitchell instead of Lassiter and see what DT you can get at 32).

It seems like this plan would have ONE significant FA move that isn't tracked here. If you're trading Jones and letting Sneed walk, there's money to spend SOMEWHERE on an above-average starter.
In this exercise, I chose to be frugal in the conversion of Mahomes' contract. So, I only opened up an extra 11 million. There's not enough money there to do more than what I've done. You could do it differently though, and this was a lot about discussion right so I'm not gonna argue anyone's ideas on it.

Now, you could open up more money. You can open up a lot more money, actually, as there's still about $28m on the bone there with Mahomes alone.
[Reply]
el borracho 12:24 PM 02-22-2024
I wonder how high could we move up if we packaged 23 and 32? And who might be available there?
[Reply]
kccrow 12:29 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by wachashi:

Taking Guyton at 23 was initially on my mind in this. And really, it might would be the better play for the long-term.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 02:20 PM 02-22-2024
Hmmm I actually interpreted the "Do Nothing Plan" the complete opposite.

As in, we would resign all of the current team members, and "Do Nothing" to add outside talent other than the draft.

We just won the SB, twice in a row, we're not perfect but we're the #1 team in football.

Run. It. Back.

I feel like we're overthinking the offseason. We have plenty of contract flexibility to create cap space for our guys and probably add 1 or 2 small contract contributors. We're highly motivated, in a way that no other franchise has been in the modern era, to go all in and make deals with the guys that got us here.

Edit: To say that I know this is just an exercise Crow did for fun and that I'm just making a general statement above.
[Reply]
Coogs 04:00 PM 02-22-2024
I’m kind of the other way. I get the all in for the 3 peat. But what if things don’t pan out on the Jones and Sneed front? I’m curious to what all in cash wise could return potentially to keep us right on track for the 3 peat.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 06:52 PM 02-22-2024
Ricky Pearsall and Van Jefferson?

[Reply]
kcbubb 07:36 PM 02-22-2024
Crow, do you have a plan where we trade sneed and keep jones? I’d like to see what that would look like. I think that’s the best approach for us to continue to reload for the future but also go for the 3 peat.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up