ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>DT Thread
RunKC 11:42 AM 02-07-2024
This is a pretty solid DT class with some talent we could use.

JeríZhan Newton
Byron Murphy
T'Vondre Sweat
Maason Smith
Kris Jenkins
Michael Hall Jr
Leonard Taylor
Brandon Fiske
Darius Robinson

Which ones do you think fit us most?
[Reply]
wachashi 01:04 PM 02-14-2024
I don't love the idea of taking a run-stuffing DT with limited pass-rush ability in round 1.

But Sweat is more than that. He is freakishly quick for a 365-pounder. At Texas, he had lots of TFLs, QB pressures, and batted balls. He's not a pass rusher, but he can absolutely be a game-wrecker.

There are immovable object NT types to be had in the later rounds, but I think Sweat has upside well beyond that.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:07 PM 02-14-2024
Originally Posted by wachashi:
I don't love the idea of taking a run-stuffing DT with limited pass-rush ability in round 1.

But Sweat is more than that. He is freakishly quick for a 365-pounder. At Texas, he had lots of TFLs, QB pressures, and batted balls. He's not a pass rusher, but he can absolutely be a game-wrecker.

There are immovable object NT types to be had in the later rounds, but I think Sweat has upside well beyond that.
Which is why he's still on my board for the 1st, but he's not a good enough pass rusher to put him over some of the WRs and OTs.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:41 PM 02-14-2024
For me, Sweat would only fall behind these guys and we know most aren't falling to us:

WRs: Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Franklin, Thomas Jr.
TEs: Bowers
OTs: Alt, Fashanu, Mims, Guyton, Suamataia
DTs: Newton, Murphy
CBs: Arnold, Mitchell, McKinstry, DeJean, Wiggins

So really, he's pretty much there in the conversation for me.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:40 PM 02-14-2024
Originally Posted by wachashi:
I don't love the idea of taking a run-stuffing DT with limited pass-rush ability in round 1.

But Sweat is more than that. He is freakishly quick for a 365-pounder. At Texas, he had lots of TFLs, QB pressures, and batted balls. He's not a pass rusher, but he can absolutely be a game-wrecker.

There are immovable object NT types to be had in the later rounds, but I think Sweat has upside well beyond that.
He could be a Vita Vea sort; a mountain in the middle that can also crush the pocket and provide some real problems in the passing game.

He's powerful and quick. He's absolutely a worthwhile consideration in the 1st and there's a non-zero chance he'd be the BPA when we get up. I wouldn't call it likely, but there's a scenario where he's the best guy.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 06:10 PM 02-14-2024
Would you trade up ahead of the cowboys for him? Cause I doubt Zimmer would stay in Dallas if they passed on him, given his scheme.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:52 PM 02-14-2024
Damn, Chop had 34 hurries in the previous season!

That's awesome!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:33 PM 02-14-2024
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Would you trade up ahead of the cowboys for him? Cause I doubt Zimmer would stay in Dallas if they passed on him, given his scheme.
I'm not positive I'd take him at 32. I damn sure wouldn't trade up for him.

And if Dallas uses a 1st rounder on a DT for the 2nd straight year, Jerrah needs to fire himself. You just can't do that sort of thing. The Eagles could because of their surplus draft capital and a stronger overall roster. Dallas just can't.
[Reply]
kcbubb 08:24 AM 02-15-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
With Jones back, Sweat next to him gives me a chub to be honest. I'd take Sweat in the 1st though.
I agree here. If we had a dominant, large run stuffing DT that could play next to Chris Jones, Iíd be really excited to see them play together. Sweat can get some push on the pass also. Sweat gets double teamed a lot. Iím not sure how you can double team sweat with Chris jones next to him. He doesnít have to get the sack, sweat just needs to get a pressure and get the qb to move or disrupt the timing and someone else like karlaftis could get the sack. I love sweat next to Chris jones. I think our dline would be really hard to stop with that combination.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 12:18 PM 02-15-2024
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
I agree here. If we had a dominant, large run stuffing DT that could play next to Chris Jones, Iíd be really excited to see them play together. Sweat can get some push on the pass also. Sweat gets double teamed a lot. Iím not sure how you can double team sweat with Chris jones next to him. He doesnít have to get the sack, sweat just needs to get a pressure and get the qb to move or disrupt the timing and someone else like karlaftis could get the sack. I love sweat next to Chris jones. I think our dline would be really hard to stop with that combination.
After watching some Sweat, I do think you would have to pick your snaps with him and rotate accordingly. But I have a hard time seeing him play much north of half the snaps for a given game, which does affect my valuation of him. But those snaps where he isn't gassed would be electric next to Jones
[Reply]
kccrow 01:40 PM 02-15-2024
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
After watching some Sweat, I do think you would have to pick your snaps with him and rotate accordingly. But I have a hard time seeing him play much north of half the snaps for a given game, which does affect my valuation of him. But those snaps where he isn't gassed would be electric next to Jones
None of our DTs outside of Jones play more than about 45% of the snaps anyhow. I don't particularly consider snap% for DTs as much in evaluations of them as I would at other positions. I just don't think it's a prerequisite, and especially at NT.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:49 PM 02-15-2024
I'm going to hope that the relative disappointment of Mazi Smith and other DTs taken in the first of late pushes Sweat to us in the 2nd. Because as has been noted, 30-40 snaps in a game is all you can likely ask of him. Is that a guy teams will want in the 1st? Or rebuilding teams drafting higher in the 2nd? And once a guy gets around 50, all bets are off as the boards diverge a lot around there.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:50 PM 02-15-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm going to hope that the relative disappointment of Mazi Smith and other DTs taken in the first of late pushes Sweat to us in the 2nd. Because as has been noted, 30-40 snaps in a game is all you can likely ask of him. Is that a guy teams will want in the 1st? Or rebuilding teams drafting higher in the 2nd? And once a guy gets around 50, all bets are off as the boards diverge a lot around there.
It's not even needed unless you think Sweat is going to be a penetrating rusher because if you are just wanting a nose you can bring Pennel back and sign another vet for about 5 bucks.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:53 PM 02-15-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's not even needed unless you think Sweat is going to be a penetrating rusher because if you are just wanting a nose you can bring Pennel back and sign another vet for about 5 bucks.
I think he forces teams to account for him in a way most 0-techs can't.

He's more like Jalen Carter in that he's just awfully quick for a guy his size and if you don't address that, he can just crush your interior. While that's not a 'penetrator', it's someone that will take away avenues of escape for your QB.

I don't see him racking up gaudy sack numbers, but I can see him creating a lot of pressures for his teammates or turning those pressures into sacks. He's not your ordinary fat guy in the middle, IMO.
[Reply]
O.city 02:11 PM 02-15-2024
Say you do keep JOnes, woudl you still draft Swift early?
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:49 PM 02-15-2024
"DT KHRISTIAN BOYD, NORTHERN IOWA PANTHERS
McCormick isn’t the only FCS player on this list who’s dominated for the last two years. Boyd was second among FCS interior defensive linemen in 2022 with a 92.3 PFF run-defense grade. His 87.6 PFF pass-rushing grade this past season was fourth among that same group. He led all FCS defensive tackles in 2023 with 40 pressures while his 15.9% pass-rush win rate was second."
[Reply]
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up