ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 260 of 300
« First < 160210250256257258259260 261262263264270 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official '23/'24 KU Men's Basketball Repository Thread *****
cmh6476 02:01 PM 04-10-2023
The Team:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster/

The Schedule:

https://kuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule/
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:47 PM 03-19-2024
Get ready for Bucky Ball. If you were going to hand pick a 1st round opponent that would give this version of KU problems, Samford was always going to be that team. As the highest ranked KenPom #13 seed, they have a Giant Killer profile if there ever was one.

On offense, Samford is one of the best 3PT shooting teams in the country (39.3%, good for 8th nationally) as they spread teams out with a lineup of five shooters at any given time. Their pure shooting efficiency in general (56.9 eFG%, 7th nationally and only 4th to Kentucky, Creighton and UConn among tournament teams) is unlike anything we’ve faced in months and certainly not what you would expect from a R1 opponent. Worst of all, Samford’s superstar big Achor Achor is a terrifying 45% shooter from the perimeter. Given that KU has had a season long issue with Dickinson switching and guarding the perimeter, that will most certainly exposed defensively by Achor on Thursday night.

Another important thing to note about their offense is the extreme pace that Samford plays at (14th in adjusted tempo in the country). Against a normal KU team with an adequate amount of depth, I would consider this to be an advantage for us. But against a team with scrubs like Timberlake and Elmarko first off the bench which leads to Self overplaying the starters by necessity? We couldn’t have gotten a worse draw here than a team whose identity is to speed up and tire out their opponents.

Defensively, as they play into their up tempo style, Samford is also a very aggressive and foul prone team that presses regularly. Because of that, they have one of the best turnover (21.8%, 16th nationally) and steal rates (12.9%, 10th nationally). Again, this wouldn’t be as alarming if we had 8 playable scholarship players rather than just 5. But considering our depth is the worst it has ever been in the Self era, this is incredibly problematic. Given Samford’s propensity for fouling, our worst case scenario could also easily transpire as it did last year (our starters getting into foul trouble early). Samford will be well aware of that and will be looking to make the game as physical and foul filled as possible. If you ever wanted to see what this KU team would look like with Nicholas Timberlake playing crucial minutes with the season on the line, you’ll likely get your wish in a couple days time.

I’ve seen some KU fans already looking ahead to Gonzaga on the weekend (which is also a brutal matchup for this team, although for separate reasons), but we are going to be need to be ready for this one. Samford is a seriously scary team and one that should not be ignored.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 04:28 PM 03-19-2024
It's that time of year when fans talk themselves into fearing low majors made up of players who wouldn't leave the bench at KU.

Guys, this team lost to Purdue by 53. If KU manages to lose, it will be because Dickinson and McCullar didn't play or were hampered. It won't be because they faced a really dangerous team.
[Reply]
Bearcat 04:41 PM 03-19-2024

[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:50 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by Bearcat:

How long have you had that ready to go?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:52 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
It's that time of year when fans talk themselves into fearing low majors made up of players who wouldn't leave the bench at KU.

Guys, this team lost to Purdue by 53. If KU manages to lose, it will be because Dickinson and McCullar didn't play or were hampered. It won't be because they faced a really dangerous team.
I hope you’re right but I fear you’re wrong. They are exactly the kind of team a team without any depth wouldn’t want to play.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 05:05 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I hope you’re right but I fear you’re wrong. They are exactly the kind of team a team without any depth wouldn’t want to play.
Depth is an issue during the grind of the Big 12 season, but it really isn't much of a problem in the tourney. Don't forget that a walk-on from Leawood was the 7th man for a team that went to the title game.
[Reply]
Kramerica 05:22 PM 03-19-2024
Sounds like no McCullar for the tourney.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:25 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by Kramerica:
Welp, lets see if we can get out of the first weekend. Not optimistic w/o him.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:36 PM 03-19-2024
I can truly enter this tourney with zero expectations now so that's a different feeling. Not that I thought this team was cutting down the nets but I could have talked myself into EE with Kevin healthy.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 05:46 PM 03-19-2024
Fair or not, McCullar will probably have one of the worst reputations amongst KU fans of any really good player we’ve had.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:53 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by Kramerica:
You can tell Self is super pissed in these quotes. Saying basically it's on Kevin.

"Kevin's not gonna play," Self told reporters. "Kevin says his knee pain has not subsided any and it's too bad for him to be able to contribute. So Kevin will not play. We're shutting him down for the tournament.

"He hasn't practiced in six weeks, basically. He hasn't done more damage to his knee. But he tried to do it and said that he just couldn't go."

Pull his fuckin NIL money. Bullshit.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 05:54 PM 03-19-2024
McCullar done for the year.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 05:55 PM 03-19-2024
Kevin McVulva
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 05:55 PM 03-19-2024
I'd like a show of hands who actually read all of KCC's post.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:56 PM 03-19-2024
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Fair or not, McCullar will probably have one of the worst reputations amongst KU fans of any really good player we’ve had.
Super fair.
[Reply]
Page 260 of 300
« First < 160210250256257258259260 261262263264270 > Last »
Up