ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3669 of 3903
« First < 2669316935693619365936653666366736683669 3670367136723673367937193769 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:39 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
If it produces a neutralizing antibody initially, I don't see how you wouldn't get some long term plasmoblasts and T cell initiation.
If true, then why do we "need" boosters?
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:43 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
It is going to be interesting to see if there will be a mass departure of nursing home staff here shortly after it was announced yesterday that they will be required to get the vaccine or the nursing home will lose federal funding. The Feds need to apply this to all healthcare facilities that get federal funding to be honest.
You don't think just maybe FDA approval should occur before we start attaching strings to the vaccine?
[Reply]
TLO 07:49 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You don't think just maybe FDA approval should occur before we start attaching strings to the vaccine?
I'd say that's coming in the next couple of weeks
[Reply]
TLO 07:51 AM 08-19-2021

Real-world data out of Denmark shows overall vaccine effectiveness (both doses) against SARS-CoV-2:

Preventing Hospitalization:
Alpha- Pfizer 86%, Moderna 97%
Delta- Pfizer 94%, Moderna 97%

Preventing Infection:
Alpha- Pfizer 81%, Moderna 96%
Delta- Pfizer 79%, Moderna 88%

— Chise �������� (@sailorrooscout) August 19, 2021

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:56 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
I was hoping for Moderna, but those shots dried up here in Wichita before my spot in line came up, so ended up wiht the Pfizer shot. My wife, who is a teacher for USD259 received Moderna, as did anyone in the school district who wanted a shot.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:02 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
I was hoping for Moderna, but those shots dried up here in Wichita before my spot in line came up, so ended up wiht the Pfizer shot. My wife, who is a teacher for USD259 received Moderna, as did anyone in the school district who wanted a shot.
60% of our vaxed employees got Moderna, about 30% Pfizer, and 10% J&J.

The breakthrough numbers don't seem to favor any of the specific vaccines and seem to evenly fall in those % evenly. Sort of a small sample size of break through cases at this point though but mainly Moderna because that's what the majority have.
[Reply]
TLO 08:05 AM 08-19-2021
Those numbers for Pfizer are very, very good. I wouldn't stress on it.

Important to note that the numbers listed above also include asymptomatic infections.
[Reply]
O.city 08:19 AM 08-19-2021
If true, then why do we "need" boosters?
Based on my knowledge of immunology (which is extremely a complex subject and I'm no immunologist) this new Delta variant kind of overwhelms your innate system before Memory B cells can fire up and make enough neutralizing antibodies. So if you don't have a bunch of neutralizing antibodies floating around, you'll get infected. You're adaptive and innate system kick in to knock it down, which would be why most breakthroughs are pretty mild.

It would make sense why viral load for those immunized drops so much and so much quicker than non immune.

Technically, with the amount of time between the two doses, we got two primer doses. We probably should have gone a bit longer to get a booster, but I'm not sure it would matter.
[Reply]
O.city 08:38 AM 08-19-2021

Math is beautiful but often hard and sometimes counterintuitive. No wonder antivaxxers don’t get it.

But the bottom line is this: these Covid vaccines are amazing life-saving miracle drugs, without which the world would have been proper fucked by now. pic.twitter.com/CHEGPQos4Q

— Yuri Deigin (@ydeigin) August 19, 2021

Can one of you statistically inclined fellas explain Simpsons paradox to me
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:45 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Those numbers for Pfizer are very, very good. I wouldn't stress on it.

Important to note that the numbers listed above also include asymptomatic infections.
Yeah, I know, but if wishes were fishes and all that.

Originally Posted by O.city:
Based on my knowledge of immunology (which is extremely a complex subject and I'm no immunologist) this new Delta variant kind of overwhelms your innate system before Memory B cells can fire up and make enough neutralizing antibodies. So if you don't have a bunch of neutralizing antibodies floating around, you'll get infected. You're adaptive and innate system kick in to knock it down, which would be why most breakthroughs are pretty mild.

It would make sense why viral load for those immunized drops so much and so much quicker than non immune.

Technically, with the amount of time between the two doses, we got two primer doses. We probably should have gone a bit longer to get a booster, but I'm not sure it would matter.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I appreciate it.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:46 AM 08-19-2021
Just saw a TV advertisement for a croup vaccine. Hadn't heard of it before.
One I didn’t know about too was RSV vaccine but expensive as hell my wife 1500$ a month x first 10 months
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:48 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
One I didn’t know about too was RSV vaccine but expensive as hell my wife 1500$ a month x first 10 months
My kids are both past the RSV and croup danger zones I think. Daughter is almost 12 and my son is 15.
[Reply]
LTL 08:49 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
It is going to be interesting to see if there will be a mass departure of nursing home staff here shortly after it was announced yesterday that they will be required to get the vaccine or the nursing home will lose federal funding. The Feds need to apply this to all healthcare facilities that get federal funding to be honest.
I think you might see a big game of chicken. I've seen it play it out somewhat in school systems. Some school systems made it a requiement to be employed. I know of a couple people that were adamant about not taking it. They were prepared to lose their jobs and even did for a short time. During the summer the school realized they didn't have enough staff to open and dropped the requirement.

Most hospital staff don't have the means to do that but i work with some that do and won't vax. Its not going to have to be a mass exodus to create problems as quite a few have already left the hospital setting for various reasons. The lower paying staff like techs and aides that don't want to i could see going that route as they can go elsewhere and make close to what they are now which would effect nursing staff and pt care.

So as you said it will be interesting.
[Reply]
carlos3652 09:00 AM 08-19-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Damn. I had not heard of the croup vaccine. My concern is my kid (who is 2) has non stop coughing episodes over 5 min that I sooth with cold / steam air 4 times a day... Hes already done the steroid 2x over almost a 4 week period (the one you get when they sound like a seal).

Might have to go to the pediatrician again. blah.

All my coworkers are dealing with sick kids... Mouth and Foot disease, RSV and Croup have been rampant.
[Reply]
carlos3652 09:01 AM 08-19-2021
My kids are both past the RSV and croup danger zones I think. Daughter is almost 12 and my son is 15.
I think you are good.. my Dr's kids are 5 and 7 and they are only supposed to have a 15% chance of getting it at that age, and they had it (about 3 weeks ago)
[Reply]
Page 3669 of 3903
« First < 2669316935693619365936653666366736683669 3670367136723673367937193769 > Last »
Up