ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 65 of 319
« First < 15556162636465 6667686975115165 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:02 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Fisher is going into the last year of his deal. The only option to lower his cap hit is to extend him because we can’t cut him while rehabbing an injury that happened during football activities.

Restructuring deals is only possible when there are multiple years left on a players contract.
They can't cut Schwartz without an injury settlement.

The can't cut Fisher without an injury settlement.

Both players have to AGREE to said settlement, the Chiefs can't unilaterally set the terms.

I don't get why people don't understand this.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:03 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Listen it's been an amazing three year run.
Veach will have to work some cap magic, and there a few things he can do to clear a little, but I'll surprised if we sign big name, big money free agents.

I fully expect him to have a solid plan with contingencies at the offensive line spots in '21. He's a smart guy, he watched the same game we did.

And I fully expect to be right back in contention.
Yep.

I don't expect this offseason to be like 2019, for example. They'll address the needs but it won't likely be "flashy".
[Reply]
New World Order 01:06 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Yep.

I don't expect this offseason to be like 2019, for example. They'll address the needs but it won't likely be "flashy".
As long as we can just stabalize the offensive line we have a qb who can buy time and make plays with anyone.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:06 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by New World Order:
I misread
I said it WON'T be like 2019. :-)
[Reply]
New World Order 01:07 PM 02-14-2021
I said it WON'T be like 2019. :-)
I didn't edit the post on time!
[Reply]
BossChief 04:13 PM 02-14-2021
They can't cut Schwartz without an injury settlement.

The can't cut Fisher without an injury settlement.

Both players have to AGREE to said settlement, the Chiefs can't unilaterally set the terms.

I don't get why people don't understand this.
That’s what I’ve said all along.

Maybe you were agreeing with me...
[Reply]
O.city 04:16 PM 02-14-2021
How quick did dj come back from his Achilles?
[Reply]
RunKC 04:30 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
How quick did dj come back from his Achilles?
Well the first time was on opening day of the 2014 season. He came back to have one of his best seasons in 2015.

He ruptured his Achilles the 2nd time in the first week of December in 2016. He still started 15 games the next year.

Need some clarity here though: DJ was not good in 2017 but it was because:

A. He was 35
B. It was his 2nd Achilles injury
C. He was pretty well done anyway
[Reply]
RunKC 04:32 PM 02-14-2021
All the Eric Fisher fear is a bit odd. I think he could definitely be back by mid season. I do think it’s odd that he hasn’t had surgery.

Did he not need it? Did he have the surgery and we weren’t told?

Maybe I missed that news
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:40 PM 02-14-2021
Restructures can be hampering IF the deal that's being restructured came with an initial big signing bonus. Because you have leftover prorated bonus as well as the new prorated bonus to account for.

But WHEN you plan for flexibility in restructuring - like the Chiefs clearly did with Jones and Mahomes, it just becomes a new feature of the contract.

Yes, restructuring Mahomes' 21 roster bonus moves cap dollars from 21 down the road, and yes, eventually you're going to have some really large cap hits with him.

But the whole point of that deal was to give the team flexibility year to year. In a year where they're in good shape against the cap, they can eat a bigger hit from him. In years where they need more, they can restructure his roster bonus and push it.

That's the beauty of the initial deal WITHOUT the signing bonus.

Same thing with Jones, except you're not pushing things as far down the line. He has practically no signing bonus, so if you restructure $20M of his base salary, you create $13M of cap room in 2021.

Between restructuring those $40M of roster bonuses into signing bonuses, the Chiefs are already under a projected $185M cap, with enough room to sign their rookie class. If the cap stays flat, they're in even better shape.

Extensions to Mathieu and Hill, even at rough market value, can create another $20M in room. An extension or injury settlement with Fisher would create room. If Schwartz retires, that creates room.

The Chiefs situation is not that of the Eagles and Saints, who were going to be in trouble against the cap BEFORE COVID, and who don't have a lot of flexibility.

The only thing I see that's an easy chunk for the Saints is cutting Kwon Alexander... but that only deals with like 1/4 of their cap issue (just to get under, let alone to sign rookies). They're going to have to do a lot of extensions on their big guys to try to move that money around.

Good luck.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:56 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by BossChief:
That’s what I’ve said all along.

Maybe you were agreeing with me...
I was. :-)
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:52 PM 02-14-2021
Yep.

Veach actually even said in his pre-SB presser that they won’t be looking to sign a “$14-15m player” due to their increasing contracts already on the roster...

I don’t think an $8-10m type is out of the question though. WR, Edge, or OL.

Part of me thinks they will try to address WR by bringing Watkins back for pennies. I don’t love it but since Mahomes is rehabbing an injury, they may opt for continuity offensively.
[Reply]
The Franchise 06:12 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Veach actually even said in his pre-SB presser that they won’t be looking to sign a “$14-15m player” due to their increasing contracts already on the roster...

Part of me thinks they will try to address WR by bringing Watkins back for pennies. I don’t love it but since Mahomes is rehabbing an injury, they may opt for continuity offensively.
Fuck Sammy Watkins. That dude is just robbing the team at this point.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:33 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:

There are some quality vet defensive ends who could be had in that 8-10 AAV threshold. I'm a fan of Carl Lawson and he could land in that range.

Watkins back on the same type of deal Robinson played under this season would be fine with me for continuity's sake, but you still need to make an investment in another option to prepare for Watkins' inevitable breakdown.
[Reply]
kccrow 06:45 PM 02-14-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Fuck Sammy Watkins. That dude is just robbing the team at this point.
100%

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
There are some quality vet defensive ends who could be had in that 8-10 AAV threshold. I'm a fan of Carl Lawson and he could land in that range.

Watkins back on the same type of deal Robinson played under this season would be fine with me for continuity's sake, but you still need to make an investment in another option to prepare for Watkins' inevitable breakdown.

I'd argue he's already reached the point of inevitable breakdown. The guy is never available. He can fuck off. I'd rather have Robinson back than Watkins.
[Reply]
Page 65 of 319
« First < 15556162636465 6667686975115165 > Last »
Up