ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3561 of 3903
« First < 2561306134613511355135573558355935603561 3562356335643565357136113661 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 09:36 AM 07-19-2021

UK case-fatality-rate right now is 0.1% mostly because so many ppl are getting infected but not dying.

young ppl + vaccinated older ppl sI aumes

USA cfr's dropping for same reason pic.twitter.com/IeQ4AfCRCe

— Razib �� Khan (@razibkhan) July 19, 2021

Looks like the vaccines are making this essentially, Influenza.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 11:02 AM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:

Looks like the vaccines are making this essentially, Influenza.
At best a worse version of the flu. But there's also a generally assumed several week lag between cases and deaths so I wouldn't take overwhelming comfort in that being low when the case count is growing sharply.

We're all either going to get covid or a vaccine and many of us will get both.
[Reply]
O.city 11:15 AM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
At best a worse version of the flu. But there's also a generally assumed several week lag between cases and deaths so I wouldn't take overwhelming comfort in that being low when the case count is growing sharply.

We're all either going to get covid or a vaccine and many of us will get both.
Looks like its uncoupled from cases at this point, but we'll have to continue to wait and see for sure.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:32 PM 07-19-2021
Looks like its uncoupled from cases at this point, but we'll have to continue to wait and see for sure.
And Covid takes the weakest and frail first.

We were running out of those people as most had already died.

Before the mass vaccination the UK was already running below average excess mortality.

I also think Delta looks a bit more transmissable but less deadly.
[Reply]
O.city 12:46 PM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
And Covid takes the weakest and frail first.

We were running out of those people as most had already died.

Before the mass vaccination the UK was already running below average excess mortality.

I also think Delta looks a bit more transmissable but less deadly.
Because the ones dying before are now vaccinated and delta is infecting younger cohorts.

You're first statement shows why it appears that way.
[Reply]
O.city 12:48 PM 07-19-2021

I used to teach Bayes theorem and its results still surprise me!

Here’s the type of diagram that usually helps it all make sense for me: pic.twitter.com/A6toIcr5xe

— Kenny (@kennyshirley) July 19, 2021

[Reply]
Swanman 01:45 PM 07-19-2021
The math follows but if the country is at 95% vaccination, then things go to zero in a hurry because the vaccines have a decent sterilizing immunity (who knows with delta) and seem to reduce transmissibility. However, 95% is a wet dream that we will never reach. 65% of the entire population was an initial goal but that doesn't even seem terribly likely. It's depressing.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:10 PM 07-19-2021
https://www.reddit.com/r/slatestarco...nt_like_march/

Originally Posted by :
That's right, the mrna vaccines seem to give a huge antibody surge that's way overkill (against the exact right target) for neutralizing and preventing infection, and then there's exponential decay over many months, and T-cell immunity takes over. But practically it looks like antigenic drift getting around the (still high) antibody titer is more significant than the antibody decay, and it will be T-cells (which won't be evaded) doing most of the work against future waves, and that's totally fine, we'd be set without any antibodies in play at all.

With high vaccination rates, variants that best avoid antibody neutralization to give vaccinated people a cold have a huge fitness advantage, so we're seeing roughly the behaviour we'd expect (rapidly out-competing other variants) even if there were no other fitness advantage at all.

... So tailored boosters are mostly about new neutralizing antibodies aiming for a moving target, which these folks don't think is worthwhile, and isn't the long-term point of the vaccines anyway. Antibodies are just plain overrated because neutralization is an easy binary to explain.
Really good thread that brings up a lot of points about delta, and has a lot of seemingly knowledgeable posters chiming in on various aspects of the vaccines and immunity.
[Reply]
eDave 02:36 PM 07-19-2021
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...tes-normalized
[Reply]
Swanman 05:12 PM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...tes-normalized
That's a nice tool. Looks like a race to the bottom between Missouri, Florida and Arkansas. I am happy that my state is still hovering below the 5 per 100k mark, and that number is a little misleading given the southern part of Illinois is doing much worse than the northern part, which makes sense given the differing vaccination rates.

Mayo Clinic also has some good graphs and maps. I especially like their county maps for each state. SW Missouri is all kinds of dark/ugly red.
[Reply]
Swanman 05:15 PM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
https://www.reddit.com/r/slatestarco...nt_like_march/

Really good thread that brings up a lot of points about delta, and has a lot of seemingly knowledgeable posters chiming in on various aspects of the vaccines and immunity.
I read a bit and lots of good math in there. That thread was very un-Reddit-like in its professionalism. It's rare to read something on the web and come away feeling just a bit smarter.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 06:00 PM 07-19-2021
American Academy of Pediatrics recommends in person learning with masks for upcoming school year.

https://www.aappublications.org/news...schools-071821
[Reply]
Swanman 06:08 PM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
American Academy of Pediatrics recommends in person learning with masks for upcoming school year.

Good to see. There is a gang of anti-maskers in my little suburb that is bound and damn determined to bully the school board to say no masks even for kids that can't be vaccinated yet.

I was listening to one lady at a birthday party over the weekend saying, "I trained my son to wear a mask but I will not send him back if they have to keep wearing them". First off, I didn't realize her son was a circus animal and secondly, you don't have to "train" kids to wear them if your parenting skills are worth a shit. My wife and I sat down with our kids (5 and 7 when pandemic broke out) and explained what was going on and how masks can help each other and they have been absolutely fine with it because we aren't big damn babies about it.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 06:59 PM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:

Good. This tweet is basically how I feel

@jkirk___: Really having a hard time accepting that kids sacrificed 16+ months of their childhood, 2 school years of normalcy, mostly to protect adults from a virus that they’re now choosing NOT to get vaccinated against, making kids who can’t vax more vulnerable & holding everyone hostage
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 07:01 PM 07-19-2021
Originally Posted by Swanman:
Good to see. There is a gang of anti-maskers in my little suburb that is bound and damn determined to bully the school board to say no masks even for kids that can't be vaccinated yet.

I was listening to one lady at a birthday party over the weekend saying, "I trained my son to wear a mask but I will not send him back if they have to keep wearing them". First off, I didn't realize her son was a circus animal and secondly, you don't have to "train" kids to wear them if your parenting skills are worth a shit. My wife and I sat down with our kids (5 and 7 when pandemic broke out) and explained what was going on and how masks can help each other and they have been absolutely fine with it because we aren't big damn babies about it.
Great examples these morons are setting. Good, keep your kid home. They'll probably get infected cause your dumbass doesn't give a shit about covid.
[Reply]
Page 3561 of 3903
« First < 2561306134613511355135573558355935603561 3562356335643565357136113661 > Last »
Up