ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 35
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Melvin Ingram signs with Dolphins
ShowtimeSBMVP 02:33 PM 05-15-2022

Breaking: FA DE Melvin Ingram is signing with the #Dolphins, per source.

The 3x Pro Bowler has 51 career sacks with 74 TFLs and 119 QB hits. Another good move for Chris Grier and the Phins.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) May 15, 2022

[Reply]
CatfishBob2 09:44 AM 05-16-2022
Sure we moved Burrow off his spot all game but he never really looked threatened because we didn't have anyone athletic enough to chase him down. It didn't look like we spied him either, I may be wrong on that though
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:45 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
DERP IF ONLY HE SPENT A FIRST ROUND PICK ON A PASS RUSHER DERP A DERPY DERPPOO
One of the worst DL's in football last year just replaced the most effective player on it with a rookie. That's effectively all they've done. Oh sure, Reed was replaced by Stallworth, so again - lateral move.

But the only major change was adding the 30th overall pick to the line to replace the only guy who played with consistent energy and effort on the line last year. And said rookie who plays a VERY similar game to the guy they let walk.

This DL is a little better (maybe) than the one we ended last season with. Y'know - the one that was a huge part of losing the Cincinnati.

But sure, keep telling yourself that adding one guy is going to change anything.

The issue is that we've tread water on a unit that was BAD. It didn't need to stay the same, it needed to get significantly better.

But hey - at least we replaced that 3rd safety!! Just an aces use of a 2nd round pick.

I love watching you guys wait until Veach throws a dart so you can draw the bullseye around it.

5D chess, fellas. Malik Herring, a guy with a 5th round projection BEFORE he got hurt is surely here to save the day!
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:49 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Yeah well when you're a stupid butt ****ing moron like Steve Spagnuolo and you're too God damn stupid to play your players where they ****ing belong, your defense is gonna look like shit.

Ingram being signed was Veach forcing Captain Dipshit Steve to put Jones back where he belongs so he could stop getting ****ing embarrassed by shit tier tackles, and qbs who elect to run on the rpo.

Ingram was a good player, but putting the players back where they belong was the reason you saw improvement there.

Had to cut Sorensen to keep Spags from playing him deep. Save the dumb**** from himself, as it were. The insertion of players capable of playing where they are going to be lined up will reflect similar improvements.
If Spagnuolo really was the mastermind behind, "Well, if no pass rusher exists to be acquired, go get Jarron Reed and move Jones out to end," then you might have reason to find fault with him. But he's not the GM, and we don't necessarily know who came up with the idea to do that.

And even given it failed, I'd still rather have a coach and a GM who looks for creative solutions like that and rolls the dice with personnel.

Spags still has a lot of shortcomings as a coach/coordinator (his love affair with Dan Sorensen, for one) but I'm not sure last year's DL debacle is one of them.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:50 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Figured this guy was a longshot to be back anyway. Once Karlaftis was drafted signing with KC for cheap lost a lot of it's allure for Ingram.

"They have their guys", was a reason given on why he wanted out of Pitt.

He wanted maximum value, we wanted cheap. He wants a chance to start, we just drafted "our guy".

And honestly, it's nbd. There's a number of vet pass rushers still on the market who can come on and provide at LEAST as much as what he did.

His saving grace last season was that Jones went back inside.
His saving grace was effort and dependability. He did what he was supposed to do and went where he was supposed to go every snap.

He wasn't just some warm body out there - he was reliable. And that was enormous for a defense that had half the squad taking every other play off.

And again, that's almost certainly exactly what we'll get from Karlaftis. I don't think we'll see a meaningful drop-off from Ingram to Karlaftis. We'll see some rookie mistakes, but we'll also see some plays George makes that Ingram didn't have in him anymore. It'll probably be a net wash.

The problem is that a net wash just isn't good enough. The line was super thin WITH Ingram. Now it's a complete shit-show. We have 1 obvious starting caliber NFL player on the entire damn depth chart for DL (Jones). Another in Karlaftis that we all think is probably at that level but he is still just a rookie and about half this 1st round is going to struggle to contribute this year. It happens every year. Karlaftis might be among them.

The rest are depth pieces on a good day. That's just wholly unacceptable for a team that purports to be a contender.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 09:52 AM 05-16-2022
We finished bottom five in sacks. The only other team that didn't pick top ten and made the playoffs were the Eagles. And they got pantsed

I guess they don't think pass rush is as important as most people
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 09:53 AM 05-16-2022
I for one look like an asshole. I told all my twitter followers that Ingram would be back. What am I supposed to do now? Im just gonna tell them all "lol psyche!" But one third of them will stop following me in any event. Such is life
[Reply]
RunKC 09:58 AM 05-16-2022
I don’t blame them for taking a safety in the 2nd rd. It’s not like they took a luxury pick like OL. Seriously it’s like some of you people forgot how absolutely catastrophic Daniel Sorenson was last season.

Maybe this will remind you

https://youtu.be/PINgtQpxik4
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 05-16-2022
I can’t imagine the plan is an improved Frank Clark right?
[Reply]
O.city 10:00 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I don’t blame them for taking a safety in the 2nd rd. It’s not like they took a luxury pick like OL. Seriously it’s like some of you people forgot how absolutely catastrophic Daniel Sorenson was last season.

Did you need to spend that much resources on one to replace him though?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:03 AM 05-16-2022

You mean Daniel Sorensen, the undrafted Free Agent who played the position credibly for 3-4 years before hitting a wall?

Yeah, probably needed to use a 2nd rounder to replace that instead of addressing potentially the worst defensive line in football. Seems like a wise use of scarce resources.
[Reply]
TEX 10:04 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
We finished bottom five in sacks. The only other team that didn't pick top ten and made the playoffs were the Eagles. And they got pantsed

I guess they don't think pass rush is as important as most people
Oh, we had a "pass rush," but just not sacks. Kind of like having a gun with no bullets. You're not gonna stop many people once they figure out the gun isn't loaded.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:06 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
I can’t imagine the plan is an improved Frank Clark right?
Yeah.

Not imagining it is probably the approach I'd take as well.

Because it's just a little too frustrating to tolerate as a probable reality.

Said it before and will continue to say it - the way Brett Veach handled Frank Clark and his contract situation demonstrates very clearly that he expects Clark to be a starting caliber player this year.

Hey, 4th time's a charm, right?
[Reply]
RunKC 10:07 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Did you need to spend that much resources on one to replace him though?
I think part of it was that Sam Williams and Drake Jackson were gone so the DE crop got thin but yes they really do need it.

Matheiu and Sorenson got old and slow. Thornhill was benched for Christ sakes. What does that tell you?

It’s not surprising seeing that Spags is a secondary guy through and through. JMO but I think he saw all these teams get better QB’s and receivers and wanted to defend that first while blitzing on obvious passing downs. Pretty much what he’s always done.

Still think we’re beringing in a vet DL. There’s still time
[Reply]
saphojunkie 10:09 AM 05-16-2022
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
No I'm right..if a team gets pressure and a few sacks then OK. But if a team gets modest "pressure" only whilst their secondary is still getting carved up then said pressure is futile. This team was at the bottom of the sacks tally and it cost us. Nothing effects the qb more than being thrown on the ground and having his drives ended. The last superbowl was a clear example.
By this rationale, tipped passes mean nothing if they aren't intercepted.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:12 AM 05-16-2022
I think part of it was that Sam Williams and Drake Jackson were gone so the DE crop got thin but yes they really do need it.

Matheiu and Sorenson got old and slow. Thornhill was benched for Christ sakes. What does that tell you?

It’s not surprising seeing that Spags is a secondary guy through and through. JMO but I think he saw all these teams get better QB’s and receivers and wanted to defend that first while blitzing on obvious passing downs. Pretty much what he’s always done.

Still think we’re beringing in a vet DL. There’s still time
The same folks that insist Brett Veach is some hyper-aggressive mauler of the draft who attacks to get 'his' guys will turn around and say "hey, it's not his fault Drake Jackson went one pick before we took a 3rd safety at 62..."

If Veach is some hyper-aggressive wizard who knows everyone that's going to get taken and where, does not not stand to reason that he didn't feel the need to move up for Jackson?

Or is he fallible? And maybe, just maybe, shit went sideways on him. Not just with the draft at DL, but in FA and here with Ingram.

Nah - just 5D chess and it was his plan to just neglect the DL until freakin' June.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 35
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up