ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 84
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>*** 2022 Mock Draft Megathread ***
duncan_idaho 12:45 PM 11-23-2021
Got a mock? Pop it in this thread. Include a picture if you want. Explain your reasoning if you want. Talk about your crushes... if you want.

See a good "pro" mock? Link it up in here and I'll add it to the OP.

Duncan's latest mock

Site
The Draft Network This mock seems to be the most accurate site right now, so I go with this one. I don't pay for it, so no trades here. The plan is for this to be my last mock. I'm going to do it differently, though. I'm running 3 scenarios, and eschewing the 7th round picks, which I would use on a big swings on athleticism and potential. Lotto tickets. James Houston IV is one of them. Note: I used PFF to simulate the trade action, then manually backed up in the 2 "trade" drafts to make selections. Laborious, but gives you best of both worlds, IMO. I think PFF's trade tool is the best, but its board is whack.

Draft slot: 29

Scenario 1: The Chiefs sit pat with their picks and don't make any moves at all. Seems the least likely, but hey...
1.29 | George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue.
1.30 | Boye Mafe, DE, Minnesota.
2.50 | George Pickens, WR, Georgia.
2.62 | Travis Jones, DT, UConn.
3.94 | Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State.
3.103(Comp for Poles) | Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State.
4.121 | Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati.
4.135 | Velus Jones, Jr., Tennessee

Scenario 1 Debrief:
So, sitting and waiting to see what comes to me was pretty successful here. The Chiefs FLOOD the defensive line with reinforcements, including at least 1 ready-made starter and two guys who should - at minimum - be in 50/50 rotations at their spots by year end. The Chiefs still get a big outside WR with tantalizing potential. They add some crazy athletic small-school guys, and a mid-round corner who just fits in the system, and a dynamo return man who might be more at WR.

This looks pretty good. Though I have a hard time believing Karlaftis just falls to 29...

Scenario 2: The Chiefs get aggressive and trade up. But for what? In this case, let's go wide receiver. In this run, Kansas City trades picks 29, 62, and a 2023 3rd to Houston for pick 13 and a 2023 4th, because they ARE as obsessed with a WR as people expect and are aggressive to go get him when the board falls right. They then trade BACK from 30 to 35 with the Jets, also including pick 94 in order to get 69 back. Then, last but not least, KC gets aggressive one more time and moves 103 and 121 for 85 from New England, leaving the Chiefs with 6 picks in the first four rounds.
1.13 | Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama.
2.35 | Cam Thomas, DE, San Diego State.
2.50 | Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor.
3.69 | Zachary Carter, DT, Florida.
3.85 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
4.135 | Jaylen Watson, CB, Washington State

Scenario 2 Debrief:
I'm not saying KC should do this or even that I think they will (more on that in a few minutes). I'm just saying, man, what will it look like if the Chiefs get aggressive a few times AND are doing the big move for a WR? In this scenario, KC obviously believes Williams is a game-changer at the NFL level and is taking a small 2022 hit to make 2023+ better. The defensive line still gets reinforced, but the reinforcements are all a shade worse than the sit-pat draft option. If you like Kingsley Enagbare or Josh PAscal more than Thomas, I get it and wouldn't quibble at one of those guys instead. Logan Hall, too. Pitre is such a screaming perfect fit for KC's D. Carter is a great physical talent you can dream about coaching up. Williams' utility is known and gives them a true RE option to pair against their higher-drafted bigger guy. Watson is a developmental corner.

I don't love it. I think Pitre makes the secondary a lot better and makes it easier to move on from Thornhill after 22. They have improved the defensive rotation, though one of the DEs would need to outperform expectations in Year 1 to get it to the same level as Scenario 1. In all, giving up the 2 extra selections in the top 4 rounds hurts the depth you can build, but I think it's more like what KC will do.

Scenario 3: Same movements as #2
1.13 | Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State.
2.35 | Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State.
2.50 | Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss.
3.69 | Bryan Cook, S, Cincinnati.
3.85 | Martin Emerson, CB, Miss. State.
4.135 | Braxton Jones, T, Southern Utah

Scenario 3 Debrief:
This is the type of situation where I see KC paying the price to move up... if Johnson falls this far, I'd be shocked if KC isn't aggressively moving up. With this run, I take a risky but high upside WR in Watson (but you could sub in Pickens or Jahan Dotson or Tolbert or Metchie or Skyy Moore or really any of those tier 2 guys here if you prefer). The secondary reinforcements aren't flashy but are good fits.

In this one, I think the plan has to become adding either another safety or corner in free agency before the season. Ideally, it's someone who can handle the slot and let Sneed thriver on the outside. The DL gets a major boost and some potential star power in Johnson and Williams, and the OL gets another T option and potential long-term starter to develop.

Having completed the exercise and looking at the scenariors, I like the first one the most. But it really does come down to how the board breaks.

Older mocks
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:20 PM 01-14-2022
KC needs to get good CB talent somewhere in the first 3 rounds due to Chase having an historic day against Ward
[Reply]
kccrow 08:44 PM 01-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Man, if we get the two extra 3rds for EB and Poles this year AND next, that could seriously go a LONG way to not having to do a tear down and eat it cap year if we draft wisely.
I don't think it's two 3's. I think it just adds a 3 in a third year if both happen in the same offseason.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:49 AM 01-15-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I don't think it's two 3's. I think it just adds a 3 in a third year if both happen in the same offseason.

Actually, just having read the text of the rule, if BOTH Poles and Bienemy are hired, the Chiefs would receive third round comp picks in each of the next 3 drafts:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:33 PM 01-15-2022
Using the Mock Draft Machine at TheDraftNetwork:

1. WR Chris Olave, Ohio State -- good X-receiver fit with outstanding route-running abilities
2. DE Kingsley Enagbare, South Carolina -- bursty, bendy passrusher with upside
3. CB Alontae Taylor, Tennessee -- perfect schematic fit with Spags
4. CB Josh Jobe, Alabama -- got to body up the DB room
5. RB Pierre Strong Jr., South Dakota State -- more explosive than what we've currently
got
6. S Nick Grant, Virginia
7. DE Dominique Robinson, Miami (OH)
[Reply]
kccrow 05:00 PM 01-15-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Actually, just having read the text of the rule, if BOTH Poles and Bienemy are hired, the Chiefs would receive third round comp picks in each of the next 3 drafts:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. You don't get two sets of 3rd round picks for 2 years, you get 1 set of 3rd round picks for 3 years if both are hired in the same year.

The best case for us is one of either EB or Poles gets hired this year and then the other next year or the year after. Just keep those 3rds coming. :-)
[Reply]
mkp785 02:15 AM 01-16-2022

a. Any compensatory
Hmmmm. So really what we should be rooting for is for 1 of them to get hired this year and 1 next year so we can maximize with 4 total third round picks?
[Reply]
kccrow 04:42 AM 01-16-2022
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Hmmmm. So really what we should be rooting for is for 1 of them to get hired this year and 1 next year so we can maximize with 4 total third round picks?
That's what it looks like to me.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:07 AM 01-16-2022
Today's Pro Football Network sim

Traded HOU #29 for #37 and #68
Traded NYJ #61 for #69 and #114

2-37: WR David Bell, Purdue
3-68: DT Phidarian Mathis, Alabama
3-69: S Jalen Pitre, Baylor
3-93: DE Isaiah Thomas, Oklahoma
4-114: RB Jerome Ford, Cincinnati
4-131: OT Braxton Jones, Southern Utah
7-232: TE Greg Dulcich, UCLA
7-249: WR Bo Melton, Rutgers

Definitely would be pretty excited about a draft like that.

I have mixed feelings about Bell. He produces but he doesn't look overly quick and especially not a guy that's going to run much faster than 4.5 and I think he's smaller than his listed size. I could see him being there.

Mathis has been on my radar but feel like he won't be there at the end of 2 (much less beginning of 3). He'd be a perfect piece next to Jones.

I really like Pitre as a Mathieu replacement.

Thomas has a prototype size and has been pretty productive. That arrest for failing to appear for petty larceny this past season might have teams doubting his character some though, so he could be there late 3rd. I do have my doubts he's there that late though.

Braxton Jones is a definite sleeper developmental tackle. Have had eyes on him.

I think Dulcich is a guy that's going much higher, probably the mid-5th but he was there. We'll see.

Bo Melton is my slot sleeper. The guys is very underrated IMO.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 11:22 AM 01-16-2022
I'm not very good at these, but here's my first crack. I took trade backs in the first few rounds and essentially traded back + traded late round picks to consolidate more picks in the top 150 picks of the draft. 6 picks in the top 150, but non after...plus I picked up a 2023 3rd from Tennessee.

32) David Bell - WR, Purdue: I feel this is a tad early for Bell, but I really like him as a compliment to Hill and Kelce. He doesn't have the athleticism as the other guys in the first round, but he's a savvy receiver who will get open in the league.

64) Devonte Wyatt - DT, Georgia: I like his size and pass rushing ability lining up next to Jones

100) Verone McKinley - S, Oregon: I don't know if he will be here on draft day. He seems like a good guy in coverage, who can also come up and play the run well.

131) Jaylon Armour-Davis - CB, Bama: a big cb who I think also has the technique to stay with receivers in the NFL

133) Obina Eze - OT, TCU: a large man at 6'8 345, but also has a basketball background...so more mobile and agile than you'd think for a guy his size. I like him as a developmental pick who could eventually be our starting RT

141) Ali Gaye - Edge, LSU: This is just betting on potential, has all the physical tools you want and has a high motor, but is inconsistent or raw in his approach.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 06:48 PM 01-16-2022
Quick run through that I did. Traded 29 with GB for 32 and 61

32.Myjai Sanders
EDGE Cincinnati

61.Leon O'Neal Jr.
S Texas A&M

64.Nehemiah Pritchett
CB Auburn

131.George Pickens
WR Georgia

232.D'Vonte Price
RB Florida International

249. Jelani Woods
TE Oklahoma State(I guess this guy is a sleeper right now. He was a 6'7 270 weapon for Virginia this season)
[Reply]
mkp785 09:57 PM 01-16-2022
That's what it looks like to me.
Works for me as I think that's what's gonna happen anyways.

Dorsey and EB combo seems to fit NYC well. Dorsey is an asshole, but he can draft and the Giants have 2 top 10 picks.

Be awesome if EB would trade for Frank Clark to solidify that d-line over there:-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:34 AM 01-17-2022
So am I understanding this correctly?

If Poles and EB both get hired elsewhere (different teams), KC would have two extra 3rd's this year and next year.

so effectively, we'd have a #1, #2, and THREE #3's this year and next?
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:17 AM 01-17-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
So am I understanding this correctly?

If Poles and EB both get hired elsewhere (different teams), KC would have two extra 3rd's this year and next year.

so effectively, we'd have a #1, #2, and THREE #3's this year and next?
No, it would be a 3rd round pick in each of the next three drafts. So only one 3rd round draft per year.

Originally Posted by :
Be it Resolved, that the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity will be amended as follows:

a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.
Interesting to note that the Ravens aren't going to get that second 3rd round draft pick this season because Culley didn't make it two full seasons with the Texans.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:48 AM 01-18-2022
went in a different direction. Took a trade down to 39 and picked up a third.
KC

Jaquan Brisker
S Penn State-another chess piece type of versatile secondary player for Spags
trade icon
KC

Kingsley Enagbare
EDGE South Carolina-a big edge that can play inside or out. Sort of a Chris Jones type.
KC

Alec Pierce
WR Cincinnati-big WR that can fly.
trade icon
KC

Jerome Ford
RB Cincinnati-A faster Kareem Hunt.
trade icon
KC

Alontae Taylor
CB Tennessee-re-stocking the CB position.
KC

John Ridgeway
DT Arkansas-huge DT will demand double teams and free up Jones
[Reply]
Hoover 09:57 AM 01-18-2022

a. Any compensatory
So if the Vikings hire Catherine Raiche from Philly to be their GM does Philly get anything back? Being a woman isn't a minority, but she was born in Canada.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 84
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Up