ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 71
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>How good are the Chiefs chances at the AFC's #1 seed?
MMXcalibur 07:21 PM 11-21-2021
Updated: 12/19

Teams that actually matter in this conversation:

Kansas City (10-4) (vs PIT, at CIN, at DEN)

New England (9-5) (vs BUF, vs JAC, at MIA)

Tennessee (9-5) (vs SF, vs MIA, at HOU)

Baltimore (8-5) (vs GB, at CIN, vs LAR, vs PIT)

Buffalo (8-6) (at NE, vs ATL, vs NYJ)

Indianapolis (8-6) (at ARI, vs LV, at JAC)

LA Chargers (8-6) (at HOU, vs DEN, at LV)

---

Being 1 game back with six games to play seems incredibly generous given our shitty tiebreaker situation. I'll put our odds at 99.9999999%
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:19 PM 12-21-2021
Mitch always talking about the "sweet nectar" creeps me the fuck out....he needs to stop that.
[Reply]
TEX 02:20 PM 12-21-2021
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Mitch always talking about the "sweet nectar" creeps me the **** out....he needs to stop that.
Yep. I cringe every time I hear him say that shit.
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:24 PM 12-21-2021
Originally Posted by TEX:
Yep. I cringe every time I hear him say that shit.
He might as well say "And Kelce thrusts himself into the moist vagina of the endzone"
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:26 PM 12-21-2021
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish:
This is actually very true. Especially if you listen to the radio broadcast. I’ve known Mitch for a long, long time. And in the last 3 years, he does have a habit of stumbling over his words to describe a play. He’s almost 65 now.

In his heyday, he could describe, in minute detail, everything that happened during a play. God damn, I miss that when I listen to any KSU broadcast in the last 19 years.
Yep. His fastball isn't as good as it was 10 years ago.

But I think post-play he is still as elite as they come.

The Kelce call was magic.
[Reply]
TEX 02:27 PM 12-21-2021
He might as well say "And Kelce thrusts himself into the moist vagina of the endzone"
:-)
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 02:34 PM 12-21-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:

I totally agree.

Although one example shines a light on the difference between Mitch and Harlan at this stage of their careers.

If you can, find and post the radio calls of PM’s 27 yard TD run vs the Titans in the AFCCG. The gulf is wider.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 04:21 PM 12-21-2021
Please sweet baby Jesus let this happen :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:28 PM 12-21-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Can ya’ll just appreciate the truly great things about Mitch? If his player names or weird metaphors/similes cause you to actively reject him, the rest of the NFL doesn’t share that opinion. He’s the most iconic voice for an NFL team in the entire league. Everybody recognizes his voice, tone, and TD calls.

Like, that’s what makes him great. If you actively can’t stand a 5 second turn of phrase or two, then you probably deserve every one else’s boring uninteresting play by plays.

It’s him and Paul Allen for the Vikes. Everybody else is wallpaper. If that’s what you want, then you may as well be an 80 year old
The best part about Mitch is that the guy's a rabid Chiefs fan.

As big a fan as any of us are of the Chiefs - Mitch has us beat. When he's flipping his shit during a call, that's not an act. That dude's standing up in the booth and shouting like a lunatic looking to high 5 anybody in his vicinity.

He's who any of us would be if you put a microphone in front of us...minus the expletives.

I don't necessary love Mitch because I'm a fan of those polished guys (take Mitch and knock off the rough edges and you'll get Harlan, who is the GOAT - IMO), but if you give me a choice between the high shine of 'Joe Buck: Professional Serious Guy' or Mitch trying not to squeal with glee anytime we score, I'll take the latter every time.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:40 PM 12-21-2021

He's never had that Harlan ability to essentially make poetry of a call. I mean I will listen to that Super Bowl radio call about once a year just because you don't need the screen at all to be able to picture everything in your head.

If there's ever a question what I'm talking about, just listen to the WASP call.

"3rd and 15 with 7:13 to play. Williams in the backfield, Chiefs at the 35. The quarterback Mahomes is in the gun, 3 on the defensive line, 6 in the San Francisco secondary. Mahomes, arms extended, right foot in front of his left, shotgun snap, drops back five, he got the blocks, they come on the side, he winds up, he throws a long pass - WIDE OPEN HILL! HE CATCHES THE BALL AT THE 22 OF SAN FRANCISCO, SWIRLED AROUND ON THE SIDELINE AND DOWN HE GOES! WHAT A PLAY BY MAHOMES!! 44 YARD COMPLETION TO THE 21 OF SAN FRANCISCO!!!"

You need NOTHING more than Harlan's call there. I mean he's painted the entire picture of that play and he's doing it on the fly. Mitch gets maybe 1/4 of that detail in there.

That's where I say there's an enthusiastic guy you can enjoy and then there's true greatness. Harlan is just so damn good and what's truly amazing is that he's STILL that good despite the amount of television work he does. They're completely different mediums and he just kills them both.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:42 PM 12-21-2021
And sometimes he gives TOO much detail. But i get it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:47 PM 12-21-2021
And sometimes he gives TOO much detail. But i get it.
I think if it's a game I'm not vested in, you might be right.

If it's a game I care enough to listen to a radio broadcast of, though, he's just the man for the job.

I'm just amazed that he can do it in real time. You could give me a clip and let me watch it for 10 minutes. Then let me 'call' it 3 times and my BEST call wouldn't be as good and as detailed as Harlan just telling us what he sees when he sees it.

It's just a skill. You can't learn that. He's just a damn master of it. That's why he's one of the few guys that can do TV and Radio or can do sports as fast paced and detailed as both the NFL and NBA. I bet he'd do an amazing hockey game as well.

He'd be completely wasted on baseball.
[Reply]
stevieray 05:36 PM 12-21-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

As big a fan as any of us are of the Chiefs - Mitch has us beat. When he's flipping his shit during a call, that's not an act. That dude's standing up in the booth and shouting like a lunatic looking to high 5 anybody in his vicinity.

He's who any of us would be if you put a microphone in front of us...minus the expletives.

I don't necessary love Mitch because I'm a fan of those polished guys (take Mitch and knock off the rough edges and you'll get Harlan, who is the GOAT - IMO), but if you give me a choice between the high shine of 'Joe Buck: Professional Serious Guy' or Mitch trying not to squeal with glee anytime we score, I'll take the latter every time.
Spot on.

And he loves Chiefs fans...I'll never forget when he met Dave outside of Arrowhead and gave him a primo tour after he had just returned from his. It was the only time I ever asked him for a favor and he delivered.

I'll always be a fan of Mitch, as a commentator and as a good human being.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:15 PM 12-21-2021
Through and through. Was that way when he was EMAW.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:26 PM 12-21-2021
He's never had that Harlan ability to essentially make poetry of a call. I mean I will listen to that Super Bowl radio call about once a year just because you don't need the screen at all to be able to picture everything in your head.

If there's ever a question what I'm talking about, just listen to the WASP call.

"3rd and 15 with 7:13 to play. Williams in the backfield, Chiefs at the 35. The quarterback Mahomes is in the gun, 3 on the defensive line, 6 in the San Francisco secondary. Mahomes, arms extended, right foot in front of his left, shotgun snap, drops back five, he got the blocks, they come on the side, he winds up, he throws a long pass - WIDE OPEN HILL! HE CATCHES THE BALL AT THE 22 OF SAN FRANCISCO, SWIRLED AROUND ON THE SIDELINE AND DOWN HE GOES! WHAT A PLAY BY MAHOMES!! 44 YARD COMPLETION TO THE 21 OF SAN FRANCISCO!!!"

You need NOTHING more than Harlan's call there. I mean he's painted the entire picture of that play and he's doing it on the fly. Mitch gets maybe 1/4 of that detail in there.

That's where I say there's an enthusiastic guy you can enjoy and then there's true greatness. Harlan is just so damn good and what's truly amazing is that he's STILL that good despite the amount of television work he does. They're completely different mediums and he just kills them both.
His Westwood1 call of the 27 yard run was amazing.

“27 yard line of Tennessee. 2nd and 10, Mahomes is in the gun…flanked by his running back, arms extended. 3 wide, gets the snap, 4 man rush..moves up..gets a block, runs to the near side, he’s on the numbers, breaks a tackle at the 30, comes to the near side, breaks another tackle..

Down the sideline 25 ..20…GOT A BLOCK AT THE 10..CUTS INSIDE!!! ..5 ..HES IN!!! WHATTA RUN!!! TOUCHDOWN KANSAS CITY!! PATRICK MAHOMES!!! A DAZZLING 27 YARD ZIG ZAGGING RUN …AND THE CHIEFS HAVE TAKEN THE LEAD … 11 SECONDS BEFORE HALFTIME!! (Memorized)

.. and then Tony Bosselli said something forgettable.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:23 PM 12-21-2021

That’s kind of an odd comparison though. Joe Buck is national TV. Mitch is local radio. Your excitement level absolutely should be biased towards your team if you’re the local radio guy.

NFL network radio has the rams guy calling the game right now. He has no grit in his voice and it’s too high. Too inflective. And that’s every fucking team’s guy out there. It’s the same voice you head on every fox sports show.

It sucks that there are no Pat Summeralls out there, so if I can’t have that, give me Harlan. But after that? I want some damn excitement
[Reply]
Page 52 of 71
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Up