ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 18
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>Which Great Movie Do You Actually Hate?
Frazod 04:55 PM 02-21-2019
This video popped up on my YouTube feed. Seemed like a good basis for a thread.

The five films discussed in the video, panned by various Brits to the general disdain of other Brits off camera, are The Shining, Forrest Gump, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Gone With the Wind and The Blair Witch Project.

I think the first three guys are mostly nuts, wholeheartedly agree regarding GWTW, and argue that Blair Witch was never great in the first place.

So what great movie(s) do you hate? I'll chime my picks in later.
[Reply]
Rivaldo 03:50 PM 02-22-2019
cool thread

I like The Thin Red Line

it's a bit of an acid trip, just something to kinda veg-out to.... from the very start, when the alligator submerges itself in the water accompanied by that crescendo of music
[Reply]
Rivaldo 03:56 PM 02-22-2019
Some Hitchcock movies I find a bit lacking, and he's a sacred cow.
[Reply]
Rivaldo 04:19 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
Blade Runner

all five versions

[Reply]
Sully 04:36 PM 02-22-2019
Scarface

While I'm thinking of DePalma... Untouchables is pretty bad, too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:07 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Sully:
Scarface

While I'm thinking of DePalma... Untouchables is pretty bad, too.

Wtf? Untouchables is one of my faves of all time.
[Reply]
underEJ 05:31 PM 02-22-2019
I loved The Thin Red Line. It is my second favorite Terrence Malick film after Badlands. I do totally get why its plodding narrative is hard to get in to, but I love visual storytelling, and it is superb at that. It isn't really a war movie. It is more a lyrical poem ever searching as it reflects on man and nature experiencing war. If there was any mistake made, it was adapting a well known book about a well known war that would disappoint history buffs. Maybe it could have been fictionalized to avoid that controversy.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:35 PM 02-22-2019
The parameters around "great" have been stretched a little far here, IMO. A lot of the referenced movies were popular, but got mediocre reviews, or were more popcorn-type movies.

With that said, there are others I would add to my list:

Midnight Cowboy: It's just a fucking stupid movie and I'm glad Ratzo dies. X-rated Oscar winner though

Crash: Great example of a movie being overrated b/c of the Academy's tendency to say, "look, we care about X"

You can do this with a number of Oscar winners where people win because of gimmicks Dallas Buyer's Club, King's Speech than because of great performances.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:40 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Same here. It’s pretty much totally inaccurate, but it was beautifully done.

I just walked past the stairway in Chicago Union Station where the final shootout was filmed.

[Reply]
Sully 06:48 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I was reminded by it because it's been on the past few days.
What an amazing cast.
But the filming is poor, and dear god... the music.

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:50 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Same here. It’s pretty much totally inaccurate, but it was beautifully done.

I just walked past the stairway in Chicago Union Station where the final shootout was filmed.
Agreed. Not even close to accurate, but sometimes its just better to create a romanticized version of something because doing the real story on film would be boring.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:53 PM 02-22-2019
I fixed the picture I took.

Uploading images from a phone sucks.
[Reply]
loochy 06:59 PM 02-22-2019
Most of the movies that get nominated for Oscars suck balls.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:04 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
Yeah, I see a lot of mentions of Crash, and I didn't mention it because I think of it as more of a movie that is UNIVERSALLY hated that JUST HAPPENS to have an Oscar. As opposed to a movie I hate that every else thinks is great.

Even with the Oscar noms, it doesn't even occur to me to think of Crash as in any way beloved.
[Reply]
Frosty 07:25 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
I remember getting talked into seeing A Room With A View after it was nominated (and won) a bunch of Oscars. I've never been so bored in my life.
[Reply]
Frosty 07:26 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Yeah, I see a lot of mentions of Crash, and I didn't mention it because I think of it as more of a movie that is UNIVERSALLY hated that JUST HAPPENS to have an Oscar. As opposed to a movie I hate that every else thinks is great.

Even with the Oscar noms, it doesn't even occur to me to think of Crash as in any way beloved.
Speaking of Crash, have you seen Crash with James Spader? What a weird ass movie that was.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 18
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up