ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 70
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:12 PM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
So I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but I just read a blurb about the Romulan characters, and the events of the 2009 Star Trek are still canon. Meaning Romulus is gone. I don't know how they can do that while also having TNG events, and stuff from ST Nemesis also be canon.
Isn't it that Romulus WILL be gone? In JJ Trek, I thought all of that took place after the events of TNG-DS9-VOY? That would put it right in line to continue in the actual prime timeline.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:20 PM 10-05-2019
Oh that's right, Nero was dragged backwards in time by the red matter black hole, and goes on to destroy Vulcan as revenge for Spock failing to save Romulus. Or something like that. I need to watch the first Trek again. I can barely remember the Kelvin timeline at this point.

And then you've got all the potential paradoxes to deal with. It hurts my brain.
[Reply]
Jamie 08:22 PM 10-05-2019
Oh that's right, Nero was dragged backwards in time by the red matter black hole, and goes on to destroy Vulcan as revenge for Spock failing to save Romulus. Or something like that. I need to watch the first Trek again. I can barely remember the Kelvin timeline at this point.

And then you've got all the potential paradoxes to deal with. It hurts my brain.
You're correct, except the JJ movies are an alternate universe so there's no change to the history of the original TOS/TNG universe. Basically Nemesis took place in 2379, Romulus was destroyed and Spock disappeared in 2387, and Picard takes place in 2399. I think the producers have at least implied that Picard was in charge of the effort to save Romulus, and his failure is what pushed him into retirement.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:35 PM 10-05-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Well, I paid for Discovery. I'll damn sure pay for this.
I'm tempted to buy I'm hoping a trek buddy of mine will get it
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:20 AM 10-06-2019
Modern Trek is garbage, but man would it be awesome if this turned out to be good. I won't get my hopes up but I will give it a (pirated) watch.
[Reply]
007 08:38 AM 10-06-2019
Looks good but I'll still wait until all episodes are released and just binge it.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:45 PM 10-06-2019

Just apply the Infinity Gauntlet rules that the past of this particular universe cannot be changed but rather a new reality is being born with time travelers going into the past, and everything falls into place. Maybe. I think.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:54 PM 10-06-2019
Either way, they straight up said the Kelvin timeline IS pertinent to this show. That's what originally caught my attention. So the history of TNG remains intact, but we are dealing with the destruction of Romulus, or the aftermath of it.
[Reply]
Donger 12:54 PM 10-06-2019
Borg cube?
[Reply]
Bowser 01:18 PM 10-06-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Borg cube?
Yep. Looks like it's some kind of prison and they're mining for materials and tech with the inmates.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:42 PM 10-06-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Yep. Looks like it's some kind of prison and they're mining for materials and tech with the inmates.
Perhaps it's Hugh's cube.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:18 AM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
Would love to watch this if it was free
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Well, I paid for Discovery. I'll damn sure pay for this.
Yes, I'll be paying for this. Gotta pay for good content if we want more to be made.

That trailer gave me a full on raging nerd erection.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:45 PM 12-09-2019
RIP Rene Auberjonois... :-)
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:40 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
RIP Rene Auberjonois... :-)

Damn. Odo has kicked the bucket.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:03 PM 12-10-2019
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Damn. Odo has kicked the bucket.
Aron Eisenberg (Nog) died a few weeks ago too.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 70
« First < 678910 111213142060 > Last »
Up