« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Lucas Niang Thread*****
Dante84 09:31 PM 04-24-2020
More to come in 2021

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RealSNR 11:04 AM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Geoff Schwartz thinks it’s a complete non-issue for what it’s worth.
Geoff Schwartz. Nice player, but short NFL career. Why?

Small coccyx.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:30 AM 05-16-2021
Geoff Schwartz thinks it’s a complete non-issue for what it’s worth.

Basically said what everyone who isn’t freaking out is saying:

Some linemen have a gut
It isn’t new for him
He’s moving fine even with it

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/st...447453696?s=21
[Reply]
RunKC 11:57 AM 05-16-2021
He just had his presser. Some notes from it:

-worked out and on field 4X a week
-talked with teammates, coaches/staff a lot during the year
-decided to opt out bc it was most logical thing for him

One interesting thing he noted was that since he was here last year for a bit and had time, he knows the playbook and his assignments now.

He ready
[Reply]
wazu 12:10 PM 05-16-2021
Niang opting out really starts to make sense when you look at the obesity rates of people who died from COVID.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:13 PM 05-16-2021
Weird to compare this to Speaks. Speaks looked noticably different when he showed up in the shape he did. Niang has always had a bit of a gunt.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:15 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Niang opting out really starts to make sense when you look at the obesity rates of people who died from COVID.
It always made sense.

He suffered a severe hip injury in the Fall of 2019 and would have started out on the PUP list in 2020, if not IR. Even if he could have come back in December 2020, he wouldn't have been in football shape and would have faced limited snaps, so it was best for him and the team for him to sit out last season.

Now, they'll have him for at least 4 years so that he, OBJ, Humphrey, Thuney and a right guard to be named later can grow together over the next 4 to 5 seasons.
[Reply]
Dante84 12:16 PM 05-16-2021
Andy Reid said he came into this in better shape than last year, and said he looked tremendous, and said he loves his size and his footwork.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:18 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:

One interesting thing he noted was that since he was here last year for a bit and had time, he knows the playbook and his assignments now.
That's exactly what I was saying after we cut Fisher and Schwartz. A lot of people didn't even feel comfortable trusting Niang with the starting RT job because he was "basically a rookie!" And I kept saying, "Rookies only have the playbook for 4 months before the season starts. Niang will have had the playbook for 16 months. And has kept in contact with the coaches and players. And we know was training privately. Etc."

Oh, and you know how everybody in 2013 was like, "Fisher really needs a full offseason in an NFL strength and conditioning program." Guess who got that whether he needed it or not.

I'm not guaranteeing Niang is going to be awesome, but he's not going to be some dumbass rookie when OTAs and/or training camp starts up
[Reply]
Dante84 12:19 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It always made since.

He suffered a severe hip injury in the Fall of 2019 and would have started out on the PUP list in 2020, if not IR. Even if he could have come back in December 2020, he wouldn't have been in football shape and would have faced limited snaps, so it was best for him and the team for him to sit out last season.

Now, they'll have him for at least 4 years so that he, OBJ, Humphrey, Thuney and a right guard to be named later can grow together over the next 4 seasons.
If Trey wins the Guard job, and the young guys all work out, it’s going to be *insane* having 3/5 of our starting line locked up for four years on rookie deals. The Thuney/OBJ deals won’t even matter because of the discount we are getting on the other three.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:29 PM 05-16-2021
If Trey wins the Guard job, and the young guys all work out, it’s going to be *insane* having 3/5 of our starting line locked up for four years on rookie deals. The Thuney/OBJ deals won’t even matter because of the discount we are getting on the other three.
I have a very difficult time believing that Smith can beat out LDT and Kyle Long to start the season, but I do believe he has a very bright future.

I just can't see Reid choosing to start three rookies in Week 1, unless of course it's due to injury.

Starting three rookies at Center, Right Guard and Right Tackle would put an enormous amount of pressure on the young guys right out of the gate.
[Reply]
New World Order 12:29 PM 05-16-2021
We have a hidden gem in Niang
[Reply]
Mecca 12:30 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Basically said what everyone who isn’t freaking out is saying:

Some linemen have a gut
It isn’t new for him
He’s moving fine even with it

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/st...447453696?s=21
He's always been shaped like a refrigerator up top anyway so it's not anything new.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:31 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by New World Order:
We have a hidden gem in Niang
I don't think Niang is "hiding" from anyone

:-)
[Reply]
Mecca 12:32 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I have a very difficult time believing that Smith can beat out LDT and Kyle Long to start the season, but I do believe he has a very bright future.

I just can't see Reid choosing to start three rookies in Week 1, unless of course it's due to injury.

Starting three rookies at Center, Right Guard and Right Tackle would put an enormous amount of pressure on the young guys right out of the gate.
They'd run Blythe out there first. I assume they like Smith's future but if they're starting Humphrey and Niang I'm going to assume they'd like a vet over there.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:44 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He's always been shaped like a refrigerator up top anyway so it's not anything new.

Some here - but mostly on Twitter - didn’t want to believe that. Because Arrowhead live grabbed a picture of him as a freshman at TCU and used that as its comparison, like that’s what he looked like when he was drafted.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 46
« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Up