ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 01:03 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by nmt1

Sweet! I'm a huge Satriani fan.
I wouldn't mind having one of the JS series models.
I've heard bad things about the Floyd Rose trems. Why does it bother you?
New strings pure and simple. After I put them on I tune the thing and lock it down. Then I have to fine tune it. After an hour I have to redo the process. Samething the next day.

Now I just use a standard bridge. I also have a seven string. It has a low B, then e,a,d,g,b,e. An ovation legend cut away. I also play a little mandolin which is the bottom 4 strings of a 6 string reversed(so g,d,a,e) like a violin.
[Reply]
nmt1 01:36 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Garcia Bronco

New strings pure and simple. After I put them on I tune the thing and lock it down. Then I have to fine tune it. After an hour I have to redo the process. Samething the next day.

Now I just use a standard bridge. I also have a seven string. It has a low B, then e,a,d,g,b,e. An ovation legend cut away. I also play a little mandolin which is the bottom 4 strings of a 6 string reversed(so g,d,a,e) like a violin.
Sounds like a Floyd Rose is more trouble than it's worth.
[Reply]
Pennywise 02:07 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by BrainCase

Here's my latest covert purchase, on its way from Ottawa, Canada.

I posted earlier about a favorite Ibanez PR1440. This is a PR1880, and I've always been a sucker for natural finishes.
Sweet man...
[Reply]
headsnap 02:10 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :

Sounds like a Floyd Rose is more trouble than it's worth.
any 'floating' trem is going to be a pain. When one string goes out of tune all the others follow. All my guitars with floyds(except the Jackson) have bolts fastened inside the guitars preventing the floyds from being pulled back, essentially a fixed bridge that I can dive bomb with.
[Reply]
Braincase 03:26 PM 10-03-2002
On the topic of chords and scales, I highly recommend The Guitar Grimoire series. I have several of the books, the Chord Encyclopaedia and the Chords & Voicings are particularly dog eared. There's another one with every single scale in every single mode with every single position.

These tools were invaluable is the study of sweep picking, as it allowed me to create my own sweep picking exercises. It's a trip how fast you can learn to play complete shred scales once you learn how to sweep.

Also, Joe Satriani's columns from the 80's Guitar World magazines and for his explanation of chord theory. Invaluable stuff, along with articles by Rick Emmett and Frank Gambale.

It's all good!
[Reply]
headsnap 03:44 PM 10-03-2002
sign up for the Guitar Tip of the Day and the Guitar Riff of the Day on Harmony Central. That should give you plenty to keep yourself busy with.

http://music.harmony-central.com/tipzine/join.php

also try out their BBS, it's pretty active.
[Reply]
nmt1 02:15 PM 10-29-2002
Got a Line 6 Guitar Port from Mars on Saturday. They are closing their stores here and have everything reduced. Just had to pick it up. Got it for $134. I've played around with it a little but I'm just scratching the surface. It awesome!

Guitar Port
Attached: gport-hp-no-background.gif (10.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Pennywise 03:21 PM 10-29-2002
Excellent man! :-)

I still haven't got one yet. :-)

Are you going to sign up for the online thing?

I think its only 8 bucks a month or so...
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:23 PM 10-29-2002
I used to have an Ibanez 570 but the Floyd Rose is a monstrous pain in the ass...

I don't play anything that doesn't have a fixed bridge nowadays...I have a Washburn BT Custom that is just awesome...
[Reply]
mcan 08:20 PM 10-29-2002
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Yeah, I have an Ibanez S series 470 FM. The floating tremelo was a huge pain in the ass for the first year. Then, I got the hang of it. The trick is to NOT experiment with any weird guages of strings. Change your strings often. And stretch them out well before you lock them down. Otherwise, the bottom strings stretch and go flat, and than takes pressure off the bridge and likewise the top strings all go sharp. It can get really confusing in a pinch, so I also keep my strat on hand.
[Reply]
nmt1 11:20 AM 10-30-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by PennyWise
Excellent man! :-)

I still haven't got one yet. :-)

Are you going to sign up for the online thing?

I think its only 8 bucks a month or so...
I'm considering it. I'd be able to jam by myself without using tapes. Seems like that would help me get better faster.
[Reply]
nmt1 11:32 AM 10-30-2002
For those of you in KC, I just read that Satch is going to be in town at the Uptown Theater on December 4th. You lucky bastiges.:-)

Check this out. It's Satch's setup.

Satch's Setup
[Reply]
Lzen 12:43 PM 10-30-2002
Originally Posted by :
For those of you in KC, I just read that Satch is going to be in town at the Uptown Theater on December 4th. You lucky bastiges.:-)

Check this out. It's Satch's setup.

Satch's Setup
Have you heard who he's touring with? I might just have to go check that out.
[Reply]
Pennywise 12:50 PM 10-30-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by mcan
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive!

Its our job to keep it alive. This would be better if the animation wasn't so fast.

To the Floyd fans... :-)
Attached: music002.gif (5.5 KB) 
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:52 PM 10-30-2002
I had a serious problem with my Ibanez that the G-string was ALWAYS slightly flat and no amount of fine tuning on the Floyd Rose was ever right...

I just get a truer, deeper sound with a fixed bridge...
[Reply]
Page 11 of 19
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up