Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:14 PM 11-21-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Forbes apparently estimated it at $0.

https://news.yahoo.com/elizabeth-hol...LgeiR4ai_X1B2a

Long dumb click baity article but here is the important part.

But it’s reasonable to assume that criminal gonna criminal. She would have had to have been a real headcase to be that much of a blatant fraud and NOT squirrel something away.

Yeah, I bet she's got some money stuffed in a mattress. I saw some article (sorry, can't find it now) that showed where she's living now, and it's ... nice. It's some huge estate in Silicon Valley. I think there are some rules about not taking people's primary residence in legal proceedings, so she'll be living pretty good when she gets out.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:01 PM 11-27-2022

[Reply]
-King- 03:04 PM 11-27-2022
Hey Lew, did you go all cash in all your accounts or just the ones you actively trade in?
[Reply]
lewdog 03:06 PM 11-27-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
Hey Lew, did you go all cash in all your accounts or just the ones you actively trade in?
100% cash, outside of small trades here and there in my active trading account and my IRA (I'm back 25% invested in this one).

I just keep dollar cost averaging into my 401k though and never move that around much outside of rebalancing.
[Reply]
Iconic 04:01 PM 11-27-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Medical is surprising. Guessing it's a lot of pre-meds who didn't make the cut for MD schools.

Also never understood why people go for Socio degrees. If you are going that route you may as well go for a Psych degree. Far more lucrative with a Masters or Doctorate.
[Reply]
-King- 04:05 PM 11-27-2022
100% cash, outside of small trades here and there in my active trading account and my IRA (I'm back 25% invested in this one).

I just keep dollar cost averaging into my 401k though and never move that around much outside of rebalancing.
So you just eat the taxes?
[Reply]
lewdog 04:14 PM 11-27-2022
So you just eat the taxes?
In the brokerage account, yes. Haven’t had much this year, however. Not much trading.

No taxes in IRA until you withdraw them so that is a great account to trade in.
[Reply]
ghak99 04:49 PM 11-27-2022
Interesting list.

I'll never forget my Journalism 101 experience. Fuck that cult and I hope their loans are never forgiven.

#5 and #7 are a bit confusing. You'd think they would have known teachers are underpaid before signing up for an education major. It sure seems like anything medical or healthcare related has been slaying for quite a while now, so that one seems strange.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:07 PM 11-27-2022
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Medical is surprising. Guessing it's a lot of pre-meds who didn't make the cut for MD schools.

Also never understood why people go for Socio degrees. If you are going that route you may as well go for a Psych degree. Far more lucrative with a Masters or Doctorate.
Originally Posted by ghak99:
Interesting list.

I'll never forget my Journalism 101 experience. Fuck that cult and I hope their loans are never forgiven.

#5 and #7 are a bit confusing. You'd think they would have known teachers are underpaid before signing up for an education major. It sure seems like anything medical or healthcare related has been slaying for quite a while now, so that one seems strange.
Only thought I have on #7 is sure it's a job right away as a medical assistant, but where to after that? That's basically your ceiling right away unless you go back to school.
[Reply]
-King- 10:40 AM 11-30-2022
Yeah... I think I'll move most of my Tesla money elsewhere.
What are your guys views on Tesla in the future? I'm really tempted to sell most of my shares and either sit on the cash or put it somewhere else.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:06 AM 11-30-2022
What are your guys views on Tesla in the future? I'm really tempted to sell most of my shares and either sit on the cash or put it somewhere else.
In my humble opinion, Tesla stock has been driven mostly by hype rather than performance. And, whether it's due to competitors, bad press, or the perception that Elon isn't focusing on the company as much as he needs to, it sure seems like the shine is wearing off.

But I have my usual caveat that I don't own a single individual stock outside of my employer, so I have very little room to be giving advice. :-)
[Reply]
tooge 11:31 AM 11-30-2022
Only thought I have on #7 is sure it's a job right away as a medical assistant, but where to after that? That's basically your ceiling right away unless you go back to school.
I did biology. Don't regret it a bit. I didn't go to a super expensive school though
[Reply]
scho63 11:33 AM 11-30-2022
You can hedge with long term puts.
[Reply]
-King- 11:44 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
In my humble opinion, Tesla stock has been driven mostly by hype rather than performance. And, whether it's due to competitors, bad press, or the perception that Elon isn't focusing on the company as much as he needs to, it sure seems like the shine is wearing off.

But I have my usual caveat that I don't own a single individual stock outside of my employer, so I have very little room to be giving advice. :-)
Yeah it's ridiculously (actually an understatement) overvalued compared to other car companies. But the hype and Elons reputation kept that going. Now the hype isn't what it used to be and Elon is Eloning harder and worse than ever before.

Oh well, it gave me some stupid amazing gains. But yeah I think it's about time to cut the cord.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:48 PM 11-30-2022
Yeah it's ridiculously (actually an understatement) overvalued compared to other car companies. But the hype and Elons reputation kept that going. Now the hype isn't what it used to be and Elon is Eloning harder and worse than ever before.

Oh well, it gave me some stupid amazing gains. But yeah I think it's about time to cut the cord.
I probably would. The hype obviously drove the boat. Musk himself said it was overpriced at $400.

Trying to read the tea leaves, I think the shine is coming off Musk with the Twitter thing and that's probably a risk I wouldn't take if you're comfortable dumping it.
[Reply]
Page 883 of 934
« First < 383783833873879880881882883 884885886887893933 > Last »
Up