Page 901 of 934
« First < 401801851891897898899900901 902903904905911 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:07 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
This post is not intended to induce political discussion, just looking for financial impact insights only.

I've been notified that my 401K target fund is being transitioned from Vanguard to a similar BlackRock target fund.

The funds seem to be aligned fairly well with slight variance in return over 10 years however the expense ratio is 2.5x higher resulting in a lower ending value.

I'm obviously going to do more of my own research but wondering if anyone here can think of any other valid financial downsides of my 401K target fund moving from Vanguard to BR?

There's speculation making the rounds here that BR might be at risk with regards to commercial real estate markets
Expense ratio 2.5x higher than Vanguard isn’t always significant. My Vanguard is .03% and something like .1% isn’t really huge. What numbers are you seeing for expense ratios?
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:12 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Expense ratio 2.5x higher than Vanguard isn’t always significant. My Vanguard is .03% and something like .1% isn’t really huge. What numbers are you seeing for expense ratios?
A lot of times the management company for a 401K takes some fees so it is possible.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:15 PM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
VTTHX .08
LIJIX .19
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 10:29 AM 05-25-2023
NVDA is absolutely killing it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:40 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
NVDA is absolutely killing it.
It's an odd stock market day. Most of the market is down considerably, but a few of the chip companies are destroying worlds. NVDA is going supernova, but AMD and TSM are also up huge.

I have a lot of all three of them. :-) NVDA has rocketed up to where it's only a hair down from being my largest single holding now.

Of course, the rest of the market has been down this week so I'm still pretty much just breaking even over the last week. But that's better than losing money.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 10:54 AM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It's an odd stock market day. Most of the market is down considerably, but a few of the chip companies are destroying worlds. NVDA is going supernova, but AMD and TSM are also up huge.

I have a lot of all three of them. :-) NVDA has rocketed up to where it's only a hair down from being my largest single holding now.
I've been long NVDA since 2017. My four largest positions, NVDA, GOOGL, SNPS, and TSM, are all up big today.

As long as demand for AI stays high, I'm hopeful they will continue to grow.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:22 AM 05-25-2023
I've been long NVDA since 2017. My four largest positions, NVDA, GOOGL, SNPS, and TSM, are all up big today.

As long as demand for AI stays high, I'm hopeful they will continue to grow.
I've been in a bit of a conundrum recently. My biggest holdings are GOOG, NVDA, and MSFT. They're done really well for me.

I'm wanting to pivot more conservative, and I feel like I should lock in some of the gains, but man, I hate paying capital gains tax. I don't want to sell and pay taxes, especially when I'll probably put them in more conservative stocks. Mathematically, I should just keep riding them, but a tech crash would be painful if they were to drop 30 or 40 percent.

In full disclosure, I've been buying CDs like crazy recently, at an average rate of about 5.1 percent. If you add all those up, it's about the same amount that I have (combined) in GOOG and NVDA. So I have a conservative counterbalance.

I'm talking myself into not selling as I type this, but I really don't want to ride into a bear market with so much tech. I'd rather avoid big losses these days than make big gains. I'm torn.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:35 AM 05-26-2023
Cathie Wood dumped over 700,000 shares of Nividia right before it took off. You literally can’t have played it worse.

All I can say is :-)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cathi...a&guccounter=2
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:42 AM 05-26-2023
PLTR is one I've been in and out of for a couple years and is +79 over the last year
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:45 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Cathie Wood dumped over 700,000 shares of Nividia right before it took off. You literally can’t have played it worse.

All I can say is :-)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cathi...a&guccounter=2
I'm beginning to regret buying that stock. I think I'm down around 60 percent on it. I need to look up the person on here who first mentioned them to me and neg rep them.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:47 AM 05-26-2023
I'm beginning to regret buying that stock. I think I'm down around 60 percent on it. I need to look up the person on here who first mentioned them to me and neg rep them.
Pretty sure it was hog. Man. Her Star fell hard.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 10:02 AM 05-26-2023
I've been in a bit of a conundrum recently. My biggest holdings are GOOG, NVDA, and MSFT. They're done really well for me.

I'm wanting to pivot more conservative, and I feel like I should lock in some of the gains, but man, I hate paying capital gains tax. I don't want to sell and pay taxes, especially when I'll probably put them in more conservative stocks. Mathematically, I should just keep riding them, but a tech crash would be painful if they were to drop 30 or 40 percent.

In full disclosure, I've been buying CDs like crazy recently, at an average rate of about 5.1 percent. If you add all those up, it's about the same amount that I have (combined) in GOOG and NVDA. So I have a conservative counterbalance.

I'm talking myself into not selling as I type this, but I really don't want to ride into a bear market with so much tech. I'd rather avoid big losses these days than make big gains. I'm torn.
I actually rebalanced my portfolio earlier this year into 50/50 growth portfolio vs. dividend portfolio as a hedge per guidance from my advisor. CDs/bonds have been crazy this year. I've been putting some money in for the first time this year.

All of this is pre tax Roth for me so taxes aren't a factor. I think there are transaction fees involved but those are all a flat fee.

Personally, I wouldn't liquidate your positions, but selling off a chunk after a growth spurt is not a bad idea to lock in some of your gains.
[Reply]
rydogg58 10:04 AM 05-26-2023
Yes it has. She used to have a crazy fan base that followed everything she does, hell I even remember seeing T shirts with her face on them. Seems like the big thing she did was own TSLA before it went apeshit and split a couple years ago. Lots of people did and didn't get their face on a T shirt.

Since you brought up NVDA, for anyone interested in any tickers like TSLY, there was a new one based on NVDA recently called NVDY that came out. Not sure what the dividend will be since it just opened and I'm not in it.

I'm out of work for a few weeks now that I've had surgery on my elbow and wrist so I decided to get back into trading more to ease the boredom. Bought LYFT a couple days ago for 8 and sold it this morning for 8.20. It's not crazy great, but it helps to pass the time I guess.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:09 AM 05-26-2023
Yeah. I really like her philosophy of investing in innovation. It seems like a great idea. Of course, those were the companies that got clobbered the most in 2022, so to some extent she or I or both got nailed by bad timing. But it seems like she's also made far bigger strategic mistakes, because I shouldn't still be down by 60 percent.

And you hear that, hog? I'm coming for you!

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Rain Man 11:13 AM 05-26-2023
I actually rebalanced my portfolio earlier this year into 50/50 growth portfolio vs. dividend portfolio as a hedge per guidance from my advisor. CDs/bonds have been crazy this year. I've been putting some money in for the first time this year.

All of this is pre tax Roth for me so taxes aren't a factor. I think there are transaction fees involved but those are all a flat fee.

Personally, I wouldn't liquidate your positions, but selling off a chunk after a growth spurt is not a bad idea to lock in some of your gains.
Yeah, I might trim a little off. I have a feeling that there'll be another bump when/if the debt ceiling stuff gets taken care off. There'll be a huge fall if it doesn't, but I've got to think it'll get resolved. I might wait a week and then sell off a little profit.

Dang, I hate paying taxes on those gains, though.
[Reply]
Page 901 of 934
« First < 401801851891897898899900901 902903904905911 > Last »
Up