ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>A few "what if" scenarios...
Couch-Potato 06:05 PM 03-01-2023
Ok, let's use this thread to get "What if" or "Would you" scenario conversations going.


Here are a few to start the conversation:

1) DT J. Carter might fall in the draft due to recent news around fleeing the scene of an accident and lying to police. If Carter falls to the #11-#15 range, would you trade #31 + 2023 4th RD pick + 2024 1st to move up and get him?


2) Let's say RB Bijan Robinson falls to us at #31, would you take a generational talent BPA or are you too weary of 1st RD RBs to take him?


3) Which retread, veteran, 1-yr prove it deal would you prefer: M. Thomas, K. Golladay, or O. Beckam Jr


4) Hopkins is available via trade, would you offer a 3rd this year and a conditional 3rd next year?


5) Houston calls and offers #12 + #33 for C Jones, do you move him?


6) The Jets call and offer #13 for Orlando Brown Jr, do you move him?


7) JuJu's market get's hot and he wants a 3-yr deal around $18m, $20m, & $22m to stay in KC or he'll get more elsewhere...Do you resign him?


BONUS: Chief's superfan ChiefsAHolic breaks out of prison and runs out in front of your car on the hwy so you stop abruptly and let him in. He's got an extra wolf suite with him and he's been planning a big job, do you help him pull one last Bank Heist?


Please respond, debate, and add your own scenarios below...
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:22 AM 04-09-2023
The main reason I'm generally against trading up in the first is because it's going to hamstring your draft either this year or next year.

Last year we were able to do it, because we had a big stockpile of picks, and we didn't have to touch this year's draft.

If we were to do it this year, it's going to hurt more.

Every offseason there are expected needs due to guys you could predict might leave in free agency, but there are also spots that ended up not panning out and you've got to work on those, too. Like when both OT's had basically career ending injuries and we had to deal with that.

So, under almost no circumstances am I giving up next year's #1. Pretty much no matter what. The only way I'd do that is if I had two #2's or something. And I really prefer to have a pick in each of the first three rounds.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 08:12 AM 04-09-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
The main reason I'm generally against trading up in the first is because it's going to hamstring your draft either this year or next year.

Last year we were able to do it, because we had a big stockpile of picks, and we didn't have to touch this year's draft.

If we were to do it this year, it's going to hurt more.

Every offseason there are expected needs due to guys you could predict might leave in free agency, but there are also spots that ended up not panning out and you've got to work on those, too. Like when both OT's had basically career ending injuries and we had to deal with that.

So, under almost no circumstances am I giving up next year's #1. Pretty much no matter what. The only way I'd do that is if I had two #2's or something. And I really prefer to have a pick in each of the first three rounds.
I agree I don't see a really compelling case to make a big move up in the 1st this year, and I'd prefer to keep all my picks in the top 3 rounds as well. I'm more interested in trading up in the 2nd, but if Veach and Andy had a move they like I could get behind it and be excited for the pick.

A big 1st round move might have been easier to accomplish if we'd moved OBJ as part of the trade, or gotten something for him leaving. Can someone help me to understand why we didn't capitalize on OBJ leaving the building somehow?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:22 AM 04-09-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I agree I don't see a really compelling case to make a big move up in the 1st this year, and I'd prefer to keep all my picks in the top 3 rounds as well. I'm more interested in trading up in the 2nd, but if Veach and Andy had a move they like I could get behind it and be excited for the pick.

A big 1st round move might have been easier to accomplish if we'd moved OBJ as part of the trade, or gotten something for him leaving. Can someone help me to understand why we didn't capitalize on OBJ leaving the building somehow?
He wasn't going to sign the tag. So we might've gotten a comp pick, except we opted to go get an OT in free agency.

I'm REALLY hoping that a QB falls to #31 and someone wants that pick for the 5th year, as I'd love an extra #2 or #3 in this draft.

Or if we stay put, that we can use our third to move up in the second, and our two fourths to move back into the third.
[Reply]
kcbubb 07:39 AM 09-05-2023
I hope all this works out with CJ but I wonder what we could have gotten in the draft for CJ and if we could have pulled the trigger to get Jalen Carter. Knowing what we know now, this probably would have been the best move and would have freed up some cash for more depth at other positions.

Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
1) DT J. Carter might fall in the draft due to recent news around fleeing the scene of an accident and lying to police. If Carter falls to the #11-#15 range, would you trade #31 + 2023 4th RD pick + 2024 1st to move up and get him?

Hell no. That's too much for any non-elite QB prospect. No.

Iíd definitely trade up and get a top 5 prospect because these charges arenít gonna stick IF we could trade Chris Jones for the package you listed below.

5) Houston calls and offers #12 + #33 for C Jones, do you move him?

Yes. I think you have to. I don't think they would, I think that is too steep, but you'd have to take it.

Agreed, if you can get Jalen Carter, absolutely. But Iíd probably trade him anyway for that much in draft capital but itís a no brainer if you can get Carter also.
.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:33 PM 09-05-2023
"Knowing what we know now" we could've never gotten him moved for #12.

Ain't anybody giving up a top 15 pick to pay him more than Aaron Donald.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 05:28 AM 09-06-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
"Knowing what we know now" we could've never gotten him moved for #12.

Ain't anybody giving up a top 15 pick to pay him more than Aaron Donald.
Agreed.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up