ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 17
« First < 41011121314 151617 >
Media Center>Bands you wish everyone else knew about.
Lprechaun 11:39 AM 01-19-2014
Every once in awhile someone somewhere will turn me onto a new band or group I hadnt heard of. Might be something older like Nat King Cole that you woldnt ever think you would like or something from your childhood that you just dont remember like Social Distortion that you have a new found respect for or a new band that you had to go find everything they had ever done.

Mine would be The Drowning Men, they were signed by Borstal Beat records after touring with Flogging Molly (BB is FMs label) the wife and I have seen them numerous times and its always a great show.
http://www.thedrowningmen.com/

My personal favorite song is "Rita". Enjoy

Im hoping to find some more good groups from this thread!
[Reply]
DeepPurple 02:51 PM 06-19-2019

[Reply]
Molitoth 03:03 PM 06-19-2019
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Young Bull outta Lawrence, KS.

I've played with Young Bull. Good band for their style... energy through the roof.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:34 PM 06-19-2019
Originally Posted by Molitoth:
I've played with Young Bull. Good band for their style... energy through the roof.
That's cool, man. Their frontman, Treet, got it from his pa, Commander P.P. (RIP) from Cocknoose.

[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 04:12 PM 06-19-2019
Originally Posted by Lprechaun:
Anyone listened to the Aggrolites? They are a lot of fun live, Id also add to the list if you havent listened
Beans on Toast (british folk) (tons of drugs)
The Legendary ShackShakers (live much better than album)
Id also add in someone many have heard of but maybe not their later stuff
Levon Helm had some incredible late in life music, his life story is interesting especially when you learn of all the crap he went thru in The Band
I Fucking love the Aggrolites.
[Reply]
eDave 04:58 PM 06-19-2019
Above and Beyond:

<

Acoustically:

[Reply]
DeepPurple 06:35 PM 06-19-2019
I saw these guys live in 1985 when White Lies was in heavy rotation on MTV. They're still around, great energy band.

[Reply]
penchief 09:00 AM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by Oz_Chief:
I have been exploring Captain Beefheart lately as well. Interesting stuff. I have also been checking out:

Love
Fleetwood Mac (the first 3 albums: so good)
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
Gov't Mule
Big fan of Gov't Mule but really love Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. One of my all time favorites. Green is really underrated, IMO.
[Reply]
penchief 09:04 AM 06-20-2019
The MC5
Modern Lovers
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
Gram Parsons
Patti Smith
Velvet Underground
[Reply]
Frazod 09:54 AM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Lester RoadHog and the Cadillac Cowboys

Their album "Family Reunion Love Songs" is a big hit in the Ozarks.

:-)
Heh. There probably aren't many people that know who they actually are without googling.

Wish you hadn't said that about Ernie. :-)
[Reply]
scho63 11:26 AM 06-20-2019
Vista Kicks - they are opening for the Rolling Stones in northern CA where they are from. My niece went to school with them.

http://vistakicks.com/

https://soundcloud.com/vistakicks
[Reply]
Nixhex 12:54 PM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
I Fucking love the Aggrolites.
Me too!! The new album is great!!
[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:03 PM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by penchief:
Velvet Underground
I saw John Cale the keyboardist/vocalist at a small club in Savannah about 1985. He was promoting the album John Cale Comes Alive. He was really good, if you can, checkout that album. I asked about any t-shirts and they let 3 of us go in his dressing room and we talked about 15 minutes. He was real nice, and we got these t-shirts that said "John Cale Comes Alive" and it had red splotches all over like blood, I thought it looked really cool. I saw Lou Reed about a year later on the Amnesty Int'l Tour. I got JC's autograph, I had him write "Music for a new Society John Cale", he liked that.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:09 PM 06-20-2019
I thought we were talking about current bands that are up and coming or have been around but on the small circuit. If we're talking about older bands no longer around, the one of my old time favorites is Uriah Heep. The late great David Byron was one of the best front men of all time, I got to see them in '75 at their peak, fantastic show! They are still around, but only guitarist Mick Box is the original member. David Byron passed away in 1985. Here is a live performance from Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, filmed at Shepperton Studios in London 1974.

[Reply]
penchief 03:17 PM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
I saw John Cale the keyboardist/vocalist at a small club in Savannah about 1985. He was promoting the album John Cale Comes Alive. He was really good, if you can, checkout that album. I asked about any t-shirts and they let 3 of us go in his dressing room and we talked about 15 minutes. He was real nice, and we got these t-shirts that said "John Cale Comes Alive" and it had red splotches all over like blood, I thought it looked really cool. I saw Lou Reed about a year later on the Amnesty Int'l Tour. I got JC's autograph, I had him write "Music for a new Society John Cale", he liked that.

Cool story. Would have loved to see the Velvets or Lou Reed in his prime. He's been a go to for me since I was in high school.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 03:19 PM 06-20-2019
I cannot list Uriah Heep without mentioning my other all time favorite, Grand Funk Railroad. I bought their debut album in '69 when I heard TNUC on the local radio, that song title is cunt spelled backwards. These guys are still around but have split into two different fractions. Don the drummer and Mel the bassist have two other players to replace Mark and have the legal name to Grand Funk. Mark Farner, the original vocalist and guitarist tours solo and cannot use the name Grand Funk, due to legal reasons. The last time they toured, the original power trio was '97 and '98 and I got see them in '98, and they were fantastic! Here's one of their best live performances that was recorded on Japanese Laser disc, Live at the LA Forum 1974.

[Reply]
Page 14 of 17
« First < 41011121314 151617 >
Up