ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Watching Tony Romo is insufferable anymore.
Sofa King 12:45 PM 01-15-2023
He doesn't do any of the stuff he did that first year. Doesn't break down the plays, doesn't play Romostradamus, etc. He just takes a ball washing angle on a few players and plays contrarian on any big plays that could go either way. He's never right on those either.

Today after a completed pass by Allen he says "And that's why they call him Mr. January!"

Who says that? Has anyone ever heard that? lol. They can't say that each of the last two years for sure after we beat them.

EDIT: :-) :-) My brother just sent this link. Someone else apparently agrees with me. There's some tweets in it too.

https://fansided.com/2023/01/15/tony..._b8vjxB_X3XYfg

Tony Romo tried to pay Josh Allen a compliment with a new nickname, but we’re pretty sure this one isn’t going to stick… yet.

In his young NFL career, Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen has played six NFL playoff games in January. His 3-3 record is apparently enough to earn him the title of “Mr. January,” that is, if you ask CBS color commentator Tony Romo.

To be fair, Allen does have a 106.6 passer rating, an average of over 285 yards per game, 14 touchdowns and 1 interception, but in January the thing that matters most is simple: Wins. To give Allen such a nickname while calling the first quarter of the Wild Card game between the Dolphins and Bills was probably a bit of a leap.

Nicknames used to mean something! They were earned!

Of course, if what he meant was that Allen has yet to get his team to February, well, that’s technically true.

Fans were not a fan of this nickname and took to Twitter to roast Romo for naming him that.

Fans roast Tony Romo for giving Josh Allen the nickname of “Mr. January”
Technically the truth fits here:
Maybe this will be the year for Allen and the Bills:
Have you ever tried to get something to catch on? It’s hard work!
Stop trying to make Mr. January happen!
As far as a better candidate for the title, right now it’s probably Patrick Mahomes. Mahomes is 7-2 compared to Allen’s 3-3 in January playoff games.
Remember, Romo’s playing career only consisted of two playoff wins, so while he’s one of the smartest and more entertaining color commentators, his personal playoff experience isn’t the most expansive.
That in mind, maybe we can cut him some slack for the nickname.
[Reply]
Frazod 09:09 PM 01-15-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Imagine if the Bills face the Bengals. Romo will be even more insufferable.
They should team Romo up with Collinsworth. Maybe they'll beat each other to death.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 09:42 PM 01-15-2023
Originally Posted by Iconic:
I would rather guys like Romo and Collinsworth than 99% of the trash heap that is NFL commentators. Yeah no thanks OP.
I agree. They color commentate as if they were playing. That's what I like.:-)
[Reply]
|Zach| 11:42 PM 01-15-2023
They are the best crew and it is not even close.
[Reply]
tk13 12:22 AM 01-16-2023
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
They are the best crew and it is not even close.
I do agree they're probably #1 but I don't know what was up today. Romo kept doing weird things like referring to the Bills as the "champs." Comparing him to Michael Jordan, etc. They usually prop up the star players like Allen and Burrow and Mahomes for sure, that's part of the deal, but it was just way over the top hyperbole. Fans usually over exaggerate how much guys like Madden and Collinsworth rave about players when they're just praising great play, but today was different. Even Awful Announcing was mocking him on Twitter during the game.
[Reply]
MahomesIsTheMVP 12:25 AM 01-16-2023
Originally Posted by tk13:
I do agree they're probably #1 but I don't know what was up today. Romo kept doing weird things like referring to the Bills as the "champs." Comparing him to Michael Jordan, etc. They usually prop up the star players like Allen and Burrow and Mahomes for sure, that's part of the deal, but it was just way over the top hyperbole. Fans usually over exaggerate how much guys like Madden and Collinsworth rave about players when they're just praising great play, but today was different.
Mr January
Alien
Champs
Now the onslaught begins
Big Game Gabe

It was like he was drunk or something.
I’d be willing to bet fans in Miami are pissed.
[Reply]
|Zach| 12:28 AM 01-16-2023
Originally Posted by tk13:
I do agree they're probably #1 but I don't know what was up today. Romo kept doing weird things like referring to the Bills as the "champs." Comparing him to Michael Jordan, etc. They usually prop up the star players like Allen and Burrow and Mahomes for sure, that's part of the deal, but it was just way over the top hyperbole. Fans usually over exaggerate how much guys like Madden and Collinsworth rave about players when they're just praising great play, but today was different. Even Awful Announcing was mocking him on Twitter during the game.
For sure today was weird.

I will say this feels like something I find annoying in sports discourse these days. *Everything* is the BEST or the WORST. 20 different players are the GOAT at the same time.

Fans and media alike are guilty here probably more so the fans.

Words mean things...unless you are talking about sports. :-)
[Reply]
|Zach| 12:29 AM 01-16-2023
Originally Posted by MahomesIsTheMVP:
Mr January
Alien
Champs
Now the onslaught begins
Big Game Gabe

Big Game Gabe feels like one that is hard to push back against since the dude scored 4 fucking TDs against us setting an NFL record. He has probably earned that title.
[Reply]
tk13 12:32 AM 01-16-2023
Originally Posted by MahomesIsTheMVP:
Mr January
Alien
Champs
Now the onslaught begins
Big Game Gabe

Oh I didn't keep track but I for sure saw Raiders fans, Pats fans, Jets fans, Bengals fans all making fun of him on Twitter. National accounts and writers. If Skip Bayless or Stephen A. Smith said some of that stuff they'd be getting hammered. It was not a great broadcast.
[Reply]
|Zach| 12:38 AM 01-16-2023
I remember years and years ago I was at a day job where nothing much happened on Sundays and there was a TV in this place. I don't know what the story was the weird audio settings or what was happening. But the Chiefs were playing the Packers and all that was coming through the TV was noise from the crowd and field and game.

It was one of the best watching experiences. I would happily subscribe and pay money to have access to an alternate audio that just had clean sounds of the game.
[Reply]
ghak99 01:00 AM 01-16-2023
Romo has made a few comments about the producer in his ear. I assume they're pushing him to be what he's becoming instead of what he was.

I'd still take Romo every single game of the season if it meant fucktard Buck gets thrown off a cliff.
[Reply]
unothadeal 07:36 AM 01-16-2023
Calling them the champs was just jaw dropping
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 07:44 AM 01-16-2023
Joe Davis and Johnson are an underrated crew. Ian Eagle is my favorite play by play guy. Too bad he is stuck with Charles Davis. I like Olsen so far as well. He and Burkhart are also good.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:45 AM 01-16-2023
My father in law, who was an avid Redskins fan, used to watch the games with no audio and enjoyed it much more that way.

Maybe a good idea if someone like Romo bothers you?

I can't imagine how difficult it would be having to run your mouth about something for 3+ hours and keep it between the lines the NFL and networks paint.

The recent Troy Aikman comments might be a good example where he said something about putting a skirt on QBs if I remember correctly. I thought it was correct and funny, but people get offended by so much these days.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:14 AM 01-16-2023
People in here are too sensitive to commentating, IMO.

On Romo:

-I got the impression he referred to the Bills as the champs because they were AFC East champs. They were playing the Dolphins after all.

-Mr. January is a shitty nickname and not one anyone has ever used for Josh Allen, but prior to yesterday's game, check his numbers. He actually got better in the playoffs, which is pretty rare.

-"Alien" is kind of fitting. You really couldn't build a much better QB in a lab.

And you've just got to understand that commentators are going to hype up the star QBs. Other team's fans complain much the same about Romo's love for Mahomes. Collinsworth as well.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:18 AM 01-16-2023
Originally Posted by Pablo:
He's already worse than Joe Buck somehow.

Never thought I'd say that. Just impressive what a queermo blabber mouth he is.
I think he was told to stop the detailed analysis he did his first year in the booth. He was literally tipping what the offense was doing on many plays.

It was FANTASTIC for us as fans, but I'd wager the NFL didn't like it as it was a potential competitive disadvantage for teams who could listen to the broadcast and tell the D what was coming.

Romo is doing what his employers told him to do. Sad as that is.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 12
« First < 45678 9101112 >
Up