ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Kansas City prepares to roll out new recycling carts
Hammock Parties 10:20 PM 04-20-2023
Nice!

https://fox4kc.com/community/kansas-...ecycling-plan/

Originally Posted by :
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Trash day is going to change for thousands of Kansas City residents, and bag tags could be a thing of the past in about a year.

Supporters of the switches said it’s going to be a game-changer when it comes to keeping Kansas City clean.

Currently, people living inside Kansas City limits put trash in bags and place the bags at the curb. Recycling goes in a small, open bin next to the trash bags.

The problem is on windy days, recycling gets blown away and ends up all over the city. Animals can also rip open the plastic bags, leaving more trash to scatter in the wind. It’s a problem residents say they’ve seen for years.

“You can go around the neighborhood right now, and there’s someone who’s moved out of the house, and its thrown out there on the sidewalk,” Virginia Flowers, Vineyard Neighborhood Association, said.

“Our neighbors, if they forget to put their trash out, it sits out until maybe the next trash day. The animals tear it up and there it is.”

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said that will begin to change in about a month.

Last year, city council members approved a plan to spend $5.5 million and buy 160,000 recycling carts with lids. Part of this funding came from a $1.5 million grant.

Residents will begin receiving the free bins in the coming weeks.

“We have too much trash in Kansas City. We wanted to make sure that we were working actively to clean up more. One of the biggest problems is recycling with our open bins right now,” Lucas said.

“You see paper, everything blowing about neighborhoods every recycling day. This will help cut down on a lot of that waste that’s just going about the community, and it will allow people to recycle a lot more with this much larger bin.”

“The lid on the top is also very important to us,” City Manager Brian Platt said. “One of the challenges we’re seeing and noticing that’s causing some trash and litter on our streets is our recycling bins right now are open. When the wind blows the recycling just blows over the neighborhood.”

There are enough of the recycling carts for every home in Kansas City, but getting one of the new bins is not mandatory.

“I know a lot of people have said maybe ‘we have a small bungalow, we don’t want a bin this large.’ You can keep your old recycling bin, but they will be available for every single family residential home in Kansas City. That’s about 162,000,” Lucas said.

“We are getting them out and about. Thanks to our taxpayers who are helping fund this program. And this is just one part of our cleanup in KC.”

Another part of cleaning up the city’s trash problem is still in the works. Right now the city council hopes to provide similar trash bins for homeowners starting May 1, 2024.

“As we know, putting out trash bags on the curb as we do in Kansas City leads to dogs getting through, so many other things. As somebody who has diapers in the trash some time for my 2-year-old, I really don’t like picking it up if a dog’s gotten through before,” Lucas said.

“We have to clean this city up,” First District Councilman Kevin O’Neil said. “I mean it literally is the number one topic right behind violence in every neighborhood meeting I go to.”

Leaders said this is a part of an effort to keep the city clean, especially with major events headed our way.

“We want to make sure that as we’re doing big events in Kansas City — the NFL Draft, the World Cup in 2026, and events large and small in between — that we are building a cleaner city,” Lucas said.

“I think it would benefit our trash here. We would love to put them in there, put our trash in those bins and roll them out,” Flowers said.

The trash bins are expensive, according to Lucas, which is part of the reason why they are not available at the same time as the new recycling carts.

Lucas also hopes to expand the leaves and brush pick-up program and create a new program for household compost.

More information on how people can request the recycling carts will be released soon.

[Reply]
KCUnited 09:29 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
That's cool, I've used a power washer on mine a few times, but I'm lazy about it and it can get pretty nasty.
When I bought this house I don't think the bins had ever been washed. It was over my gag threshold so I found a pro.

It's a pretty sweet setup. Figured it would be all nasty but the guy never even gets his hands wet. Just pulls a couple levers.

He also has a window cleaning subscription which is mostly a necessity after monsoon season out here. Its a pretty solid hustle he's got going as I see him all over the east valley.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:41 AM 04-21-2023
what I wonder is how much of it really gets recycled.

paper/cardboard. There is a point where it cant be recycled anymore.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:04 AM 04-21-2023
The other thing thats a bit annoying is our recycling program is one guy in a truck. Truck pulls up then it lifts and dumps.

So if you have one thing causing the lid on the bin to be open even just a little bit it throws off the lift system and stuff spills everywhere.

So they won't pick it up and will leave a warning sticker on your bin shaming your ass :-)

Since my wife buys nearly everything off Amazon I'm driving to the recycle center drop off every other weekend with an abundance of Amazon boxes since they won't all fit in my bin with the lid closed.

In Chicago, they'd take anything. You could have someone sideswipe the front bumper off your car, just throw it in your recycle bin and they'd take it. Probably because they're just dumping it all in some low income neighborhood anyway. So I racked up a few warning stickers for the first couple weeks I was out here.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:14 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
The other thing thats a bit annoying is our recycling program is one guy in a truck. Truck pulls up then it lifts and dumps.

So if you have one thing causing the lid on the bin to be open even just a little bit it throws off the lift system and stuff spills everywhere.

So they won't pick it up and will leave a warning sticker on your bin shaming your ass :-)

Since my wife buys nearly everything off Amazon I'm driving to the recycle center drop off every other weekend with an abundance of Amazon boxes since they won't all fit in my bin with the lid closed.

In Chicago, they'd take anything. You could have someone sideswipe the front bumper off your car, just throw it in your recycle bin and they'd take it. Probably because they're just dumping it all in some low income neighborhood anyway. So I racked up a few warning stickers for the first couple weeks I was out here.
:-)

Yeah, mine has a fill line that is often ignored, but I try cramming bottles and shit towards the bottom so they aren't laying on top of everything and roll off. I've heard that a time or two, plus paper and stuff that blows back into the yard.

I don't think we have shaming stickers though.
[Reply]
Eureka 10:18 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
The rest of the country have been doing this for the last 10 years.
Welcome to KC (fly over country).....

[Reply]
KCUnited 10:31 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
:-)

Yeah, mine has a fill line that is often ignored, but I try cramming bottles and shit towards the bottom so they aren't laying on top of everything and roll off. I've heard that a time or two, plus paper and stuff that blows back into the yard.

I don't think we have shaming stickers though.
I totally get it. I think someone mentioned above its about communication or lack there of.

They changed the non-recyclable items list and no one knew about it.

The fill line, that's just being new to the area and probably my responsibility to look into.

LOL not one of my neighbors said a thing when I took out all our moving boxes and set them to the side of the recycle bin on the curb :-) Bet they were all peering out their windows just waiting for the truck to come by and shame my bin.

Now that I know the rules I stay in compliance.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:37 AM 04-21-2023
I always put glass & trash in my recycle ans they take it
[Reply]
Mecca 10:42 AM 04-21-2023
I honestly never understood why they didn't do the carts.
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:27 AM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan63:
I burn my trash.
Seems like a lot of effort to print off your posts
[Reply]
ghak99 12:06 PM 04-21-2023
We've had specific cans with lids out here in the sticks for years. It's about time the greater shithole started cleaning their trash up.

It's the only way we can all finally come together and pretend we're not shipping half that shit to China where they dump it in a river.
[Reply]
scho63 12:12 PM 04-21-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
New York City still set out bags.
Gotta keep those big rats well fed! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:28 PM 05-09-2023

Recycling Carts are rolling out! Nearly 10,000 are already delivered. Check out when yours may be on the way! https://t.co/bgJQeL9L4l ♻️ pic.twitter.com/czJyoL17hA

— Kansas City (@KansasCity) May 9, 2023

[Reply]
ModSocks 02:33 PM 05-09-2023
LOL WTF. It's 2023 and KC is just now getting this?
[Reply]
Mecca 02:34 PM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
LOL WTF. It's 2023 and KC is just now getting this?
I've had carts forever but I live in a suburb where you pay for trash service, if you live in the actual KC city limits you didn't have carts just bags on the curb which never made sense to me ever...looks great when animals have trash all over the street etc.
[Reply]
Fish 03:38 PM 05-09-2023
Next door neighbor got one, along with the rest of the block. Fuck me I guess.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up