ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 15
« First < 7891011 12131415 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Kyle Long may miss training camp with leg injury
TribalElder 07:15 AM 06-10-2021
Kyle Long‘s comeback effort has hit a snag.

NFL Media reports that Long suffered a leg injury that could keep him out through training camp. Initial thoughts were that it would keep him out for the season, but the hope is that Long will be able to return to action before the start of the regular season.

Long did not play in 2020 after missing 34 games over his final four years with the Bears due to injury, but signed with the Chiefs as part of their offensive line overhaul this offseason.

It looked like Long would be competing for the right guard spot during camp. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, who is also returning from sitting out the 2020 season, Andrew Wylie and sixth-round pick Trey Smith may now make up the group vying for that spot.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...th-leg-injury/
[Reply]
O.city 11:05 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
You mean, in OTA's?

:-)

Some of you people have lost your goddamned minds.

This is a team with Super Bowl aspirations that just had the ever loving shit kicked out of the offensive line just 16 weeks ago. Andy is going to start the season with the best and most experienced guys, which does not include a 6th round guard, when there are at least two other capable starting guards (three, if Niang starts at Right Tackle).

It doesn't matter what the year says on the calendar, every ****ing year, people fall in love with some late round/undrafted free agent and this year, it's Smith. And while he may become a quality and maybe even high quality right guard, the Chiefs are not going to start him next to a rookie center or what's essentially, a rookie right tackle, unless it's due to catastrophic injury.

The Browns, Ravens, Chargers and WFT's defensive line would eat three rookies all game long.
We shall see.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 11:27 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
Absolutely correct. The only reason LDT hasn't been released is because it's a wash on the cap to do so. They'll let him come in and see if he's still physically able to do it but I can't see it happening. The guy was already slipping before taking a year off and I can't imagine he had much time to be working out while doing what he was during Covid.

There's a reason they brought in so many interior lineman. LDT not showing up for voluntary workouts says a lot, too. I think the guy is pretty much done with football. If Long had actually stayed healthy I think there's a good chance LDT wouldn't even have made the team. He still might not.
This LDT not being at OTA's narrative has taken a very Lucas Niang opt out turn. If he comes here he cant go home until he quarantines for 2 weeks. More than likely he, a guy who knows the offense i might add, just doesnt want to tack months on to his time away when he can get in shape at home with his loved ones.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:43 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
This LDT not being at OTA's narrative has taken a very Lucas Niang opt out turn. If he comes here he cant go home until he quarantines for 2 weeks. More than likely he, a guy who knows the offense i might add, just doesnt want to tack months on to his time away when he can get in shape at home with his loved ones.
The OTAs issue wasn’t my main point.

I’m just not an LDT fan, never have been. He was already slipping before taking a year off and he’s starting at RG, I think it’s a weakness. Certainly not Andrew Wylie level weakness, but I was hoping Long would take the job and run with it.

We’ll see what kind of shape he comes into camp in. My hopes aren’t very high.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 11:48 AM 06-11-2021
Oh, give me a ****ing break.

LDT is 6 year veteran and Super Bowl champion. The Chiefs aren't going to dump him, nor are they going to eat his salary when they have so little room left.

NFL players miss entire seasons due to injury all the mother****ing time and many come back at the same exact level as before. LDT wasn't injured, he opted out to help others. He's not recovering from a torn ligament or broken or fractured bone. He's a professional football player and as long as he's willing to play this season, he'll be the favorite to start at right guard.

Good grief.
Thank you for your always pleasant feedback.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:52 AM 06-11-2021
You mean, in OTA's?

Some of you people have lost your goddamned minds.

This is a team with Super Bowl aspirations that just had the ever loving shit kicked out of the offensive line just 16 weeks ago. Andy is going to start the season with the best and most experienced guys, which does not include a 6th round guard, when there are at least two other capable starting guards (three, if Niang starts at Right Tackle).

It doesn't matter what the year says on the calendar, every fucking year, people fall in love with some late round/undrafted free agent and this year, it's Smith. And while he may become a quality and maybe even high quality right guard, the Chiefs are not going to start him next to a rookie center or what's essentially, a rookie right tackle, unless it's due to catastrophic injury.

The Browns, Ravens, Chargers and WFT's defensive line would eat three rookies all game long.
I agree with your overall point 100%, but to be fair, Smith isn’t your average late round pick. He likely would’ve been selected early on day 2 if it weren’t for health concerns.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 12:06 PM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I agree with your overall point 100%, but to be fair, Smith isn’t your average late round pick. He likely would’ve been selected early on day 2 if it weren’t for health concerns.
Also, we're talking about the RG position here. If you're going to start a rookie anywhere on the line, that's the spot to do it.

Doesn't really matter, though. Reid is going to play whoever he's most comfortable with. If Smith goes out and plays at a higher level than anyone else at the position to the point where Andy gives him the job, then great. That means he truly earned it. If not, then so be it. Our starting RG isn't going to make or break the season either way.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 12:15 PM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
We shall see.
No, we shall not see.

You've 'lost your goddamn mind' for thinking a very talented rookie might win a starting job at a relatively low impact position like RG, a spot which at this point has no clear cut starter.

You may as well check yourself into a mental institution. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:18 PM 06-11-2021
No, we shall not see.

You've 'lost your goddamn mind' for thinking a very talented rookie might win a starting job at a relatively low impact position like RG, a spot which at this point has no clear cut starter.

You may as well check yourself into a mental institution. :-)
Yeah, because Andy Reid is going to start THREE rookies in 2021.

Just plug Trey Smith in and don't worry about the position for the next 15 years.
JFC, talk about hyperbole.

Even Will Shields didn't last 15 years. Good fucking grief.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 12:29 PM 06-11-2021
Yeah, because Andy Reid is going to start THREE rookies in 2021.

JFC, talk about hyperbole.

Even Will Shields didn't last 15 years. Good ****ing grief.
Who said he was going to start 3 rookies? I don't think Niang is starting at RT, personally. Andy is much more likely to start inexperienced lineman at guard than tackle.

Just relax man, this is OTA offensive line discussion. Nobody has a clue what's going to happen. Very few people thought there would be a complete overhaul of the entire line a few months ago either and look what happened there. That was not very Andy Reid-ish.

A lot of things Andy 'would never do' have changed over the past few years. He might surprise us again.
[Reply]
jettio 12:35 PM 06-11-2021
Nobody here has watched any practice.

Humphrey, Smith and Niang starting is possible week 1 and assuming no injuries to those 3 players, it is very likely that they are starting after the bye and through the playoffs.

The best thing about LDT was his physical toughness and playing to the whistle. Smith may be more physical.

I hope I can find some loudmouth who thinks he knows everything to give me big odds on the bet that the Chiefs will not start Humphrey, Smith and Niang in any game during the 2021 season.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 12:44 PM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by jettio:
Nobody here has watched any practice.

Humphrey, Smith and Niang starting is possible week 1 and assuming no injuries to those 3 players, it is very likely that they are starting after the bye and through the playoffs.

The best thing about LDT was his physical toughness and playing to the whistle. Smith may be more physical.

I hope I can find some loudmouth who thinks he knows everything to give me big odds on the bet that the Chiefs will not start Humphrey, Smith and Niang in any game during the 2021 season.
A lot this is based on preconceived notions about Andy Reid. It's understandable. He has always done things a certain way, at least up until a few years ago.

However, he is clearly evolving in a lot of ways. If Humphrey, Smith and Niang all look like superior players to anyone else at those spots, I don't see why they wouldn't play either.

Andy always says he's going to pick the 5 best guys on the o-line and play them. We'll see if that rule stands firm if 3 of those best guys happen to be rookies.
[Reply]
poolboy 01:01 PM 06-11-2021
Are we forgetting about Allegreti in all this?
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:02 PM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by poolboy:
Who's that?
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 01:08 PM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by poolboy:
It's a good point, by the end of last year he was clearly our best interior lineman.

We've added so many pieces though that I can't see him being more than a backup now, but certainly a valuable one.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:11 PM 06-11-2021
Allegreti is a poor pass protector.

I’d bet on him being traded.

There simply aren’t enough roster spots.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 15
« First < 7891011 12131415 >
Up