ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Marty, Carl, and drafting quarterbacks.
Rain Man 08:22 PM 06-09-2021
I feel like I might have done something like this a while back, but it's interesting to see the quarterbacks drafted in the NFL when Marty was our coach. We all blame Carl and Marty for not taking a quarterback, but the 90s were truly a dark age for quarterbacks.

Marty was the coach from 1989 through 1998. Let's look at the drafts and the quarterbacks available.

1989 starter - Deberg

Spoiler!

1990 starter - Deberg

Spoiler!

1991 starter - Deberg

Spoiler!

1992 starter - Krieg

Spoiler!

1993 starter - Montana

Spoiler!

1994 starter - Montana

Spoiler!

1995 starter - Bono

Spoiler!

1996 starter - Bono

Spoiler!

1997 starter - Grbac

Spoiler!

1998 starter - Gannon

Spoiler!

Twice in that ten-year period the Chiefs took one of the highest-rated quarterbacks remaining on the board with their highest pick: Elkins and Blundin.

If the Chiefs had spent their highest pick on the highest rated available quarterback every single year, we would have drafted:

Mike Elkins
Tommy Hodson
Todd Marinovich
Tommy Maddox
Billy Joe Hobert
Perry Klein
Todd Collins
Tony Banks
Jim Druckenmiller
Charlie Batch

The best quarterbacks that were available were usually journeymen guys who either were found late or were invested in the 2nd round with only moderate value:

6th round Rodney Peete
3rd round Neil O'Donnell
2nd round Brett Favre
9th round Brad Johnson
5th round Mark Brunell
7th round Gus Frerotte
2nd round Kordell Stewart
2nd round Tony Banks
2nd round Jake Plummer
6th round Matt Hasselbeck

Obviously you've got the lightning strike of Brett Favre, and that would've been great. But after that? You're pretty much wishing that Carl and Marty had hit a dart with Brunell, Brad Johnson, or Hasselbeck.

During Marty's decade, there was simply not a quarterback that he could have drafted other than Favre. And there was no way that Carl and Marty would have drafted a player like Favre.
[Reply]
Rausch 04:03 PM 06-10-2021
I put more blame on Carl than Marty. I have no doubt Marty pushed the Montana trade (who wouldn't?) and Girlbac over Gannon but you just can't get me to believe he didn't want to draft a 1st round QB or trade up once in 10 years.

EVERY HC wants their guy at QB. They all know what they want and who they want to do it. Carl enjoyed being a contrarian...
[Reply]
scho63 09:59 AM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I'm still rooting for Brody Croyle and Ricky Stanzi.
Super arms with zero talent. :-)
[Reply]
TEX 02:17 PM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:
He was a pro bowl qb until 2002. If he was our starter from 95-2002, we would have had a good shot to get a super bowl in that period. Having a pro bowl qb in place could have altered the front office moves as well - maybe they make different moves knowing that the window is closing on a pro bowl qb's career. We will never know. But he would have been better than just about any of the qb's mentioned in the OP other than Favre and we already had him on the team.
Oh, I know. That used to really piss me off. Now, thanks to the "Mahomes Effect" it's all water under the bridge with me.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:19 PM 06-11-2021
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I put more blame on Carl than Marty. I have no doubt Marty pushed the Montana trade (who wouldn't?) and Girlbac over Gannon but you just can't get me to believe he didn't want to draft a 1st round QB or trade up once in 10 years.

EVERY HC wants their guy at QB. They all know what they want and who they want to do it. Carl enjoyed being a contrarian...
Look, I like Marty.

But Marty also had Brees and threw him away.

I don't think Marty knew fuck-all about NFL Quarterback play.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up