ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Marty, Carl, and drafting quarterbacks.
Rain Man 08:22 PM 06-09-2021
I feel like I might have done something like this a while back, but it's interesting to see the quarterbacks drafted in the NFL when Marty was our coach. We all blame Carl and Marty for not taking a quarterback, but the 90s were truly a dark age for quarterbacks.

Marty was the coach from 1989 through 1998. Let's look at the drafts and the quarterbacks available.

1989 starter - Deberg

Spoiler!

1990 starter - Deberg

Spoiler!

1991 starter - Deberg

Spoiler!

1992 starter - Krieg

Spoiler!

1993 starter - Montana

Spoiler!

1994 starter - Montana

Spoiler!

1995 starter - Bono

Spoiler!

1996 starter - Bono

Spoiler!

1997 starter - Grbac

Spoiler!

1998 starter - Gannon

Spoiler!

Twice in that ten-year period the Chiefs took one of the highest-rated quarterbacks remaining on the board with their highest pick: Elkins and Blundin.

If the Chiefs had spent their highest pick on the highest rated available quarterback every single year, we would have drafted:

Mike Elkins
Tommy Hodson
Todd Marinovich
Tommy Maddox
Billy Joe Hobert
Perry Klein
Todd Collins
Tony Banks
Jim Druckenmiller
Charlie Batch

The best quarterbacks that were available were usually journeymen guys who either were found late or were invested in the 2nd round with only moderate value:

6th round Rodney Peete
3rd round Neil O'Donnell
2nd round Brett Favre
9th round Brad Johnson
5th round Mark Brunell
7th round Gus Frerotte
2nd round Kordell Stewart
2nd round Tony Banks
2nd round Jake Plummer
6th round Matt Hasselbeck

Obviously you've got the lightning strike of Brett Favre, and that would've been great. But after that? You're pretty much wishing that Carl and Marty had hit a dart with Brunell, Brad Johnson, or Hasselbeck.

During Marty's decade, there was simply not a quarterback that he could have drafted other than Favre. And there was no way that Carl and Marty would have drafted a player like Favre.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:23 PM 06-09-2021
The amazing thing to me is that even if we had the #1 pick every year we likely wouldn't have gotten a good quarterback. Aikman, Bledsoe, and Jeff George are the best of the lot after Manning.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:27 PM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Well you had Elway, Marino, Kelly in the AFC during that time. Then in the NFC you had Young, Favre, and Aikman. Not a total desert, but its also why Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson got Super Bowl wins as well during the early 2000s.
That’s a great point. I never thought about the lack of top level talent at QB being a factor in those titles.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:34 PM 06-09-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
That’s a great point. I never thought about the lack of top level talent at QB being a factor in those titles.
That 4 year window (1999 to 2002) that's when Brady and Manning were pups. Elway and Marino had just retired. Young and Aikman turned into walking wounded. Packers just fuck up franchise QBs. Kurt Warner was probably the best at that time. Bledsoe and McNair just didn't become the face of the league during their prime years.
[Reply]
Otter 07:27 AM 06-10-2021
Ah, now I understand.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:33 AM 06-10-2021
The one guy we could've had that I REALLY wanted was Brees. I was sure we were going to take him. I was enamored.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:03 AM 06-10-2021
He got hurt pre draft process and didn't sign the first time.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what the deal was with him.
[Reply]
scho63 09:11 AM 06-10-2021
Cool post.

10 years of a lot of suck jobs and a few great nuggets and 20 or so JAGS.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:01 AM 06-10-2021
Legendary thread!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...188932&page=11
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 11:04 AM 06-10-2021
We didn't need to draft any of those QBs. We already had lightning strike with Gannon. Carl just stupidly let him get away. Gannon wouldn't have locked down the position for 15 years like Favre but I'm convinced he would have won a super bowl had he remained the starter. In fact, he should have been made the starter after finishing the 95 season and we could have avoided grbac completely.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 12:40 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
It was just a different era of offense. There were a lot more defensive stars in the 90s compared to today
Also the difference in college offenses vs NFL offenses was much greater than today which made the transition for QB’s more difficult.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:47 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
The one guy we could've had that I REALLY wanted was Brees. I was sure we were going to take him. I was enamored.
Imagine if we went Brees to Mahomes.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:41 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by Lilmrp117:
We didn't need to draft any of those QBs. We already had lightning strike with Gannon. Carl just stupidly let him get away. Gannon wouldn't have locked down the position for 15 years like Favre but I'm convinced he would have won a super bowl had he remained the starter. In fact, he should have been made the starter after finishing the 95 season and we could have avoided grbac completely.
:-):-)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:49 PM 06-10-2021
:-):-)
I think Gannon gets us to the Super Bowl in 97, for what it's worth, but I don't think he's able to overcome Favre and that Packers team.

I don't know if a SB was going to happen with Marty. 97 was our best shot (95 I don't see us beating Dallas unless Montana hung around an extra year) and I think by 99 the team was already fading.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:54 PM 06-10-2021
I'm still rooting for Brody Croyle and Ricky Stanzi.
[Reply]
Lilmrp117 03:38 PM 06-10-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I think Gannon gets us to the Super Bowl in 97, for what it's worth, but I don't think he's able to overcome Favre and that Packers team.

I don't know if a SB was going to happen with Marty. 97 was our best shot (95 I don't see us beating Dallas unless Montana hung around an extra year) and I think by 99 the team was already fading.
He was a pro bowl qb until 2002. If he was our starter from 95-2002, we would have had a good shot to get a super bowl in that period. Having a pro bowl qb in place could have altered the front office moves as well - maybe they make different moves knowing that the window is closing on a pro bowl qb's career. We will never know. But he would have been better than just about any of the qb's mentioned in the OP other than Favre and we already had him on the team.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up