Page 11 of 52
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Trey Smith Thread*****
Dante84 03:34 PM 05-01-2021
More to come!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
RunKC 01:52 PM 05-02-2021
This guy was projected as a late 2nd/early 3rd rd pick without medical worries. What a goddamn steal
[Reply]
PHOG 02:15 PM 05-02-2021
Great pick! :-)
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 03:17 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Just look at the major over commitment required to slow down Mahomes.

Bring 4, drop 7. Get pressure with 4 while doubling Kelce and Hill. Hope someone else doesn’t get open. Dare the Chiefs to run the ball.

Seriously, what do you do now? No chance teams bring a light box against this OL.

Respect the run? Okay cool. Let’s go back in time to 2018.
Heck, sometimes it was rush 3 drop 8...
[Reply]
KChiefs1 05:58 PM 05-02-2021
David Ubben on what the Chiefs are getting: Smith became the first true freshman to start at left tackle for Tennessee in more than three decades, but doctors discovered blood clots in his lungs following the 2017 season. He followed a specialized plan from doctors to get back on the field, though a mistaken reappearance ended his 2018 season midway through the year. He played through the 2019 season and elected to return as a senior for 2020. … Throughout his time in Rocky Top, Smith was a physical and emotional leader for the Vols’ offensive line, growing into one of its most consistent performers and a mentor for his talented younger teammates.

Scouts’ takes from Bob McGinn: “If he can overcome the blood-clot issue, you’ve got yourself a starting right guard who can play on a Pro Bowl level,” said one scout. “The toughness he played with reminded me of Kelechi Osemele. He’s not as long as Kelechi, but that size, that violence and that power reminded me of him.”

Dane Brugler’s analysis: Smith looks the part with excellent base strength and shock absorbers for hands, allowing him to win in a phone booth. However, for a player with his raw power, you expect more displacement, body control and point-of-attack movement than what he put on tape as a senior, too often falling off blocks or simply getting in the way. Overall, Smith has the size and talent to start in the NFL, but the sloppy tendencies and streaky aggressiveness are red flags, and there are potential lung-related health concerns. He projects as a high-risk/high-reward potential starter in a power-based scheme.
[Reply]
Halfcan 07:23 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
This move is the final nail in the finesse lineman coffin.

Look around you, Chiefs fans. All of a sudden we a have a big, mauling, powerful group of OL.

The Chiefs, once again, are ahead of the curve. Defenses are going small and light, Chiefs are going big on the OL.
It takes a lot of self-awareness to admit to your weaknesses-then even more to fix those mistakes.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:55 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This guy was projected as a late 2nd/early 3rd rd pick without medical worries. What a goddamn steal
true but every team has medical doctors. They also know what everyone in the medical field knows, blood clots are an easy medical fix. So why hasn’t that happened?
[Reply]
R Clark 07:59 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
true but every team has medical doctors. They also know what everyone in the medical field knows, blood clots are an easy medical fix. So why hasn’t that happened?
I am guessing it has, clots were in 18 and he’s played the last two seasons without a problem
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:00 PM 05-02-2021
Scouts are looking for reasons to not give a guy a bag of money and not provide benefit of doubt.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 08:07 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Schwartz has video with Smith and Humphrey they're good watches.
The Smith one gave me an erection. (nh)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:09 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by R Clark:
I am guessing it has, clots were in 18 and he’s played the last two seasons without a problem
what? So he’s had no reoccurrence in 2+ years? There has to be something that’s not public knowledge but the NFL knows.

If true, WTF is the NFL doing letting him drop like this? It makes no sense. They are smart people? We are no smarter. No reoccurrence after 2 years, we should have taken him in the 4th at worst.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:12 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Scouts are looking for reasons to not give a guy a bag of money and not provide benefit of doubt.
This is exactly right.

The draft isn't as much about who to draft but who not to draft.

These guys talk themselves out of players all the time, which is why we see so many 4th through 7th rounders and UDFA's have great careers, despite teams passing on them multiple times.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:39 PM 05-02-2021
I LOVE him more now! He is from Jackson, Tennessee! It is where I went to High School! How incredible is that? :-)
[Reply]
frozenchief 08:45 PM 05-02-2021
Interestingly, he was projected to KC as a first round pick in an early mock draft:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020...mpression=true

If the medical issues do not derail his career and he plays to his potential, this is THE steal of the draft. Those admittedly are two big ‘ifs,’ though.
[Reply]
BossChief 08:59 PM 05-02-2021
This guy is the 2021 draft version of Sneed.

Simple as that.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:05 PM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I literally laughed out loud when I saw we took that kid.

I was like-OMG, really!? LOL

:-)
Same.

I think my exact words were, "welp"

:-)

what? So he’s had no reoccurrence in 2+ years? There has to be something that’s not public knowledge but the NFL knows.

If true, WTF is the NFL doing letting him drop like this? It makes no sense. They are smart people? We are no smarter. No reoccurrence after 2 years, we should have taken him in the 4th at worst.
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
This is exactly right.

The draft isn't as much about who to draft but who not to draft.

These guys talk themselves out of players all the time, which is why we see so many 4th through 7th rounders and UDFA's have great careers, despite teams passing on them multiple times.
Yeah, if there is something that could possibly go wrong, its easy to say, "let's go with the guy that's clean, even if the upside is less."

There is a lot of risk aversion. Dudes are scared of the headlines like, "HOW COULD YOU HAVE NOT KNOWN ABOUT THE BLOOD CLOTS???!!!?!?!" if he misses a game.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 52
« First < 7891011 1213141521 > Last »
Up