ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 54 of 167
« First < 4445051525354 5556575864104154 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay on the Outs?
Dante84 01:21 PM 04-29-2021

Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

More on NFL Live now....

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 29, 2021

#Packers GM Brian Gutekunst to ESPN: "As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond. Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) April 29, 2021

Originally Posted by :
Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to return to Green Bay Packers, sources say
Reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers is so disgruntled with the Green Bay Packers that he has told some within the organization that he does not want to return to the team, league and team sources told ESPN on Thursday.

The Packers are aware of his feelings, concerned about them and have had team president Mark Murphy, general manager Brian Gutekunst and head coach Matt LaFleur each fly out on separate trips to meet with Rodgers at various points this offseason, sources told ESPN.

"As we've stated since the season ended, we are committed to Aaron in 2021 and beyond," Gutekunst told ESPN. "Aaron has been a vital part of our success and we look forward to competing for another championship with him leading our team."

Rodgers has not budged this offseason, but neither have the Packers, who have made it known they are not interested in trading Rodgers anywhere.

The San Francisco 49ers called the Packers on Wednesday night, a source told ESPN, and the Los Angeles Rams inquired about Rodgers in January before they traded for Matthew Stafford.

The Packers quickly dismissed the Rams' overtures, the source said.

The Packers have offered to extend Rodgers' contract, sources told ESPN.

Rodgers is unhappy for a variety of reasons, with some of it dating back to last year's draft when the Packers didn't inform him before trading up to draft a quarterback with their first-round pick. Some took this as a sign that his days in Green Bay could he numbered.

He also is at a different point in his personal life, having recently gotten engaged to actress Shailene Woodley. Rodgers also has hosted "Jeopardy!" and said it would be a dream to become the full-time host. He could play football and host Jeopardy! together.

Rodgers has made cryptic comments about his future in Green Bay, but he has told others that he does not want to return.

On draft night, the Packers' biggest issue isn't who they land, but whether they can keep the former NFL MVP.

Rodgers' contract contained a $6.8 million roster bonus due in March. It could have been converted into a signing bonus that would have freed up more than $4.5 million in salary-cap space for this season but instead it "vested as scheduled," a source told ESPN at the time. It's listed as an automatic conversion in Rodgers' contract but even that has to be signed off on by both parties. It's not known if the Packers tried to convert and Rodgers refused to sign off on it, or if they did not attempt a conversion.

[Reply]
-King- 09:42 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Because it’s pretty obvious given the timing and what Rodger’s friends that have spoken to him have said that this was your typical clickbait story.

I can’t believe that it’s 2021 and people still don’t understand how the media works.
Both the GM and the coach have acknowledged that there are major issues going on. So how was it a clickbait story? You don't think Rodgers wants out?

LeFleur said "hopefully we resolve this and he'll be back in a green bay Packers uniform"

Why would he say that if Rodgers didn't want out?
[Reply]
staylor26 09:43 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Both the GM and the coach have acknowledged that there are major issues going on. So how was it a clickbait story? You don't think Rodgers wants out?

LeFleur said "hopefully we resolve this and he'll be back in a green bay Packers uniform"

Why would he say that if Rodgers didn't want out?
Who the fuck said that there aren’t issues? Of course there are. That doesn’t mean that Rodgers is going to retire/sit or be traded.
[Reply]
-King- 09:48 AM 05-06-2021
Who the fuck said that there aren’t issues? Of course there are. That doesn’t mean that Rodgers is going to retire/sit or be traded.
So you can at least acknowledge that he wants out right? And that the head coach thinks there's a possibility he won't be a packer next year right...?
[Reply]
staylor26 09:51 AM 05-06-2021
So you can at least acknowledge that he wants out right? And that the head coach thinks there's a possibility he won't be a packer next year right...?
No, I don’t think this necessarily means that he wants out. It could be that he wants the GM fired, Love traded, or a new deal.

Since you obviously missed this:

Former #Packers John Kuhn tells @CBSSportsRadio he's spoken to @AaronRodgers12 this week. "At age 37 he's hoping to insure his career in GB DOES get to 40. He's seen what's happened to other QB's. It may take drastic measures to get there." Still a chance he stays? "Absolutely!"

— Mike Clemens (@MikeClemensNFL) May 6, 2021

I’m sure you won’t take the word of somebody who is close to Rodgers and has actually spoken to him directly about the situation either though...
[Reply]
RunKC 09:55 AM 05-06-2021
I think the most likely outcome here is he skips OTA’s, training camp and comes back the week of the first regular season and then they resume these talks with teams next Spring.

It’s too late to trade this guy now that the draft is done.

I could definitely see him skipping some regular season games
[Reply]
BWillie 10:01 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Rodgers was so bad in the NFCCG that I seriously wonder if he was on the take. Gifted three second half INTs, and the alleged "MVP" couldn't do shit with it? That just stinks to high heaven.
I don't know about that, but when the coach didn't give him the ball in crunch time to win the game I would expect guys like Mahomes, Brady or even Drew Brees to be like. No. I'm winning us this game. Rodgers just trotted out with no emotion either way before or after the play.
[Reply]
-King- 10:03 AM 05-06-2021
No, I don’t think this necessarily means that he wants out. It could be that he wants the GM fired, Love traded, or a new deal.

Since you obviously missed this:

I’m sure you won’t take the word of somebody who is close to Rodgers and has actually spoken to him directly about the situation either though...
I don't think anyone is saying that there's no chance he stays. But he definitely wants to go and he's the type of guy that would choose to sit out a year if he got mad enough.

Even AJ said "never say never" when he was pressed about what he said. And Kuhn for all the optimism he had, only went up to 70-75% chance Rodgers would be a Packer next year.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:12 AM 05-06-2021
I don't think anyone is saying that there's no chance he stays. But he definitely wants to go and he's the type of guy that would choose to sit out a year if he got mad enough.

Even AJ said "never say never" when he was pressed about what he said. And Kuhn for all the optimism he had, only went up to 70-75% chance Rodgers would be a Packer next year.
That wasn’t the point. At all.

Originally Posted by :
At age 37 he's hoping to insure his career in GB DOES get to 40. He's seen what's happened to other QB's.
Sounds a lot like a guy trying to use the threat “wanting out” as leverage for a new contract.

So no, I still don’t think this all necessarily means he 100% wants out.
[Reply]
Mulliganman 10:16 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Holding out into the season would force the Pack to either play Love (who would crash and burn in humiliating fashion) or trade for another QB. Either scenario makes the GM look even more foolish for his 2020 draft than he already does.

Gutekunst doesn’t want the above. Hence Rogers has leverage.

The whole “he’s under contract, end of story” position is overly simplistic.

I negotiate for a living. What do you do?
They don't want to play Love yet. Rodgers could very well sit out and has the means to do so even without a potential gig in Jeopardy. To me, the more likely scenario here is GB offers to make him the most highest paid football player and fires the GM. If that plays out who do you think the "villian" becomes in that situation?

It may be a bit oversimplified to just say GB has all the leverage. But, this idea in the media that Rodgers has his list of teams he'll play for and GB is somehow obligated to cower down to that is ridiculous.

If GB trades him, the most likely partners would be a team who can give a good QB back. If Watson isn't banned or permanently suspended by the league, I'd be looking there or even Seattle if I'm GB...

But, I think the more likely scenario is the GB GM gets canned and Rodgers gets paid.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:16 AM 05-06-2021
That wasn’t the point. At all.

Sounds a lot like a guy trying to use the threat “wanting out” as leverage for a new contract.

So no, I still don’t think this all necessarily means he 100% wants out.
Sounds like it to me too. GB should oblige him as well
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:20 AM 05-06-2021

But yea let’s listen to him as opposed to Rodger’s friends who have spoken to him about it.

[Reply]
Mile High Mania 10:31 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by Lex Luthor:
I think you hit the nail on the head. Even if Watson winds up missing a significant portion of the 2021 season, he could still be a great QB for the next decade.

I have to think Watson could be acquired for a lot less right now because of the sexual assault allegations, and his upside is so high for so long.

I think any Chiefs fan would HATE to see Deshaun Watson in Denver. I know I would.
The NFL is all about the redemption business... happens all the time and depending on how the Watson thing plays out, he's young enough to miss a year and still have a decade of play left.

So, I'm all for HOU working out a deal to send picks/players to GB and then in return, DEN can send players and picks to HOU for Watson.

GB wins by getting whatever they think they want in return.
HOU wins by removing a PR nightmare and getting Rodgers & then essentially replacing whatever they gave up for Rodgers with what they get in return by trading with DEN.
DEN wins because now they have a QB for the next decade at a price similar to what it would take to get Rodgers.
Rodgers wins because now he is out of GB and in a division that he could more easily win during the next 2-3 seasons compared to the AFCW.

Problems solved. :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 11:16 AM 05-06-2021
Bob McGinn is the best sports journalist covering the Packers. He’s been doing it for like 4 decades.

Cowherd said that McGinn spoke to a longtime friend of Rodgers who said that once Rodgers has it in his head he’s not backing down. 2% chance he plays for the Packers again
[Reply]
staylor26 05-06-2021, 11:19 AM
This message has been deleted by staylor26.
The Franchise 11:26 AM 05-06-2021
How big of a piece of shit is Schefter?
[Reply]
wazu 11:31 AM 05-06-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
How big of a piece of shit is Schefter?
Yeah that was my main takeaway from the interview.
[Reply]
Page 54 of 167
« First < 4445051525354 5556575864104154 > Last »
Up