ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3410 of 3903
« First < 2410291033103360340034063407340834093410 3411341234133414342034603510 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Kidd Lex 09:16 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Just crossed 400k dead. So sad and unbelievable and this didn't have to be this way.
You could never keep this at bay in a country the size of the US. We’re not NZ. We will be out of this mess and better in the next 6 months. Other country’s like NZ will continue to have to have huge travel restrictions until they can vaccinate all of their population with US and UK created and produced vaccines.

It’s terrible how many people we’ve lost and all the long term sickness, but once this started spreading there was no stopping it. It’s the perfect storm of infectiousness and lethality to spread uncontrolled through large high population country’s.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:19 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
You know you are just doing this to yourself right? Do you stay up at night being depressed about other diseases you are more likely to die from than Covid?
I worry about these variants taking hold which will lead to more lockdowns, deaths etc. I really want this to fucking end.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:21 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
The variants that are more transmissible are definitely cause for concern, moreso because they seem to spread so much faster and efficiently. I would be shocked if they already have antibody escape, but it's possible.

Quicker transmission is actually worse than more morbid.
I don't know if you have seen that pre print yet but IIRC they took blood from people that had known infections and tested it against the SA variant and over half the antibodies didn't touch the new variant. Which is now raising alarm bells everywhere.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:25 AM 01-20-2021
I worry about these variants taking hold which will lead to more lockdowns, deaths etc. I really want this to ****ing end.
The vaccine is being distributed as we speak, give it a minute and focus on the positive. And considering how the vaccine works on the protein spike uptake inhibiting I don't think being more transmittable would change the effectiveness. I'm not a scientist obviously but that wouldn't add up.
[Reply]
O.city 09:26 AM 01-20-2021
The vaccine is being distributed as we speak, give it a minute and focus on the positive. And considering how the vaccine works on the protein spike uptake inhibiting I don't think being more transmittable would change the effectiveness. I'm not a scientist obviously but that wouldn't add up.
The mutations are happening in the actual spike protein. So if the protein structure is different, the current vaccines woudlnt' have efficacy as it's making immune cells that wouldn't recognize that spike.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:26 AM 01-20-2021

Preliminary data from South Africa suggests that the novel variant 501.V2 wasn't recognised by antibodies in 21/44 serum samples collected from people infected in the first wave - worth watching today's presentation for more info & caveats https://t.co/rQo6YjzfpU pic.twitter.com/jGFWcguRFU

— Adam Kucharski (@AdamJKucharski) January 18, 2021

[Reply]
dirk digler 09:27 AM 01-20-2021
The mutations are happening in the actual spike protein. So if the protein structure is different, the current vaccines woudlnt' have efficacy as it's making immune cells that wouldn't recognize that spike.
yep that is what they are seeing. My understanding Pfizer is supposed to have data out soon in regards to both the the UK and SA variant and whether or not their vaccine works.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:27 AM 01-20-2021
Ah well I guess we are all dead then, I'll cash out my 401K this week.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:32 AM 01-20-2021
yep that is what they are seeing. My understanding Pfizer is supposed to have data out soon in regards to both the the UK and SA variant and whether or not their vaccine works.
From 19hrs ago.

https://www.voanews.com/covid-19-pan...eading-quickly

Originally Posted by :
“Its affinity and its ability to bind to the human cell is now stronger,” he said in a briefing late Monday. “And that's what enables it to become a more efficient virus in the way it transmits .... So this drastic change that we're seeing is being driven by a virus that certainly, biologically looks like it can attach to human cells more efficiently.”

But, he adds, scientists haven’t concluded that this variant is more severe. In fact, he said, current data suggests it is not.

And he quickly allayed fears that the 1.5 million vaccine doses expected to land in South Africa by February won’t work on this new strain.

“I will not even attempt to speculate on that matter,” he said. “I'll wait for the data. And certainly, we have no empirical evidence yet on whether vaccines are effective against this variant. Those studies are still under way.”
Also the study you referenced appears to not be relevant to vaccines, only natural antibodies.

Originally Posted by :
Studies also suggest that natural antibodies - produced by the body to fight infection - are less effective, Karim added.

[Reply]
O.city 09:42 AM 01-20-2021
From 19hrs ago.

Also the study you referenced appears to not be relevant to vaccines, only natural antibodies.
That would mean we need to vaccinate more people. I'm skeptical about this not being recognized by vaccination produced immune response, that would be pretty quick, but with this much spread you're gonna get mutations.

Faster spread is actually worse than deadlier virus IIRC.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:48 AM 01-20-2021
Got my dad on a vaccine list in KS (1B)

I signed up here in Chicago but phase 2 (>16 with no underlying conditions) is tentatively scheduled for 5/31. Hoping it moves faster as things ramp up
[Reply]
Donger 09:49 AM 01-20-2021
I wonder if the non-mRNA vaccines would have better efficacy with these variants when compared to the mRNA.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:51 AM 01-20-2021
From 19hrs ago.

But it is not less severe and we already have 400k dead. Easier spread = more deaths.

Let's all hope that the vaccines will work and I am confidant the mRNA's ones can be updated quickly but then you got to get them out to the people every year.
[Reply]
Donger 10:07 AM 01-20-2021
COVID-19 deaths: Infection fatality ratio is about 1% says new report

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2072...ty-ratio-says/
[Reply]
O.city 10:21 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
I wonder if the non-mRNA vaccines would have better efficacy with these variants when compared to the mRNA.
Would all depend on what antigen they're making a response based on.
[Reply]
Page 3410 of 3903
« First < 2410291033103360340034063407340834093410 3411341234133414342034603510 > Last »
Up