ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>School's out for Summer!-AMA
displacedinMN 03:32 PM 06-09-2019
I said I would.

But a few classroom rules.
1. The answer to the obligatory question. No
2. There are no stupid questions-just stupid people that ask questions.
3. Teacher has the right to suspend you.
4. Teacher can take regular quarter and holiday breaks.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:00 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Do you put hidden cameras under the young pretty girls desks to peek up their skirts?

Joe Biden wanted me to ask you that question.
God no. But I have put a camera in the room for days that I was gone for my leg surgeries. I could see what the kids were doing. Most of the problem was the sub. It should not take 20 minutes to take attendance. Sit the kids down-get them started then worry about attendance.

One day I called back and yelled at a few kids. Freaked them out.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:11 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by eDave:
What draws one to being a teacher?
At one time it was a respected job. Today it can give great benefits-if you can stand the BS.

Today, I can not tell anyone to go into education. No one respects teachers. We are constantly under fire. Funds suck. Job security is low unless you are tenured and experienced like me. But I still worry. The pay and summers off are not always the greatest when you can make more money somewhere else.

I can't wait for the Millennial generation educate the FU generation.

Kids would rather be entertained than educated. My student teacher supervisor said "You are not up there to be Johnny Carson" Today, we are expected to be Jimmy Fallon.

We are not allowed to look at kids wrong. Discipline is non existent. Students do not need self responsibility.

I am a white male. I feel like I am consistently called racist by kids, some admin etc. Some believe that hiring more teachers of color would help students of color. But that would mean people like me would have to retire or be fired. Fire for race??? Yup. That's legal.

http://www.startribune.com/bipartisa.../?refresh=true One author is a teacher in my building. There is no evidence that teachers of color raise grades of students of color. The day of more TOC will come, it is just not now. Maybe 10 years from now when kids in school get to college.

I act like more of a dad to some of the kids than their own dads. I do not talk to them like kids. I talk to them like people. In a mature way.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 06:12 AM 06-10-2019

Do they still have this type of pizza?

That pizza was the greatest pizza ever to a kid
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:19 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by mac459:

Do they still have this type of pizza?

That pizza was the greatest pizza ever to a kid
We don't. We get something called Big Daddy's pizza. Triangle slice. Not bad for school pizza.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 06:53 AM 06-10-2019
I've been teaching for 6 years. Might be taking a break after a really rough year. I have taught middle school and elementary level math. I hate the emphasis put on both grades and standardized testing. Everyone thinks that every kid should have an A or a B and that a C is basically failure which just leads to grade inflation. What are your thoughts about grade inflation and grading in general?
[Reply]
Otter 06:56 AM 06-10-2019
One of my high school wrestling coaches (Rich) teaches 8th grade math and has a similar view on discipline and lack of parenting with his students. I went to private Catholic School 1st thru 12th grade and while the priests would slam you up against the wall and scare the shit out of you those nuns would beat you with rulers, slam your head against the wall and break shit over you for misbehaving. That stuff is not an old wives tale.

And we were still assholes and troublemakers at that age so I can only imagine what it’s like now that they have carte blanche and the teachers are handcuffed to on how to punish troublemakers who hide behind the system.

Rich is what you would call a “no nonsense” kind of guy. He coached me for four years and I installed and replaced pools and pool liners (mostly replaced pool liners) with him over the summers. Let’s just say patience and constraint on his emotions is less than a strength.

He’s been up to the max number of points (not 100% sure how the point system works) before having to take mandatory leave for a couple years in a row because he deals with his students old school and the parents and/or students complain then the board gets involved and not it’s a known issue and so on and so forth. He’s only 50 so he’s a bit away from retirement and is now on a ‘mood control’ medication to help him crank out the last 10 or so years of teaching.

You couldn’t pay me enough money to be a police officer, teacher, or similar occupation. Everyone screams ‘racism’ or some other abuse and the bullshit is actually taken seriously. I think we’re reaching a point where the bullshit is becoming apparent but society is not quiet there just yet.

Anyway, a question: do you think there’s less, more or equal physical confrontations between students? Such as two guys settling things fisticuffs or do they slap fight and unfriend each other on social media to settle differences.
[Reply]
loochy 07:00 AM 06-10-2019
Do you take direct instruction from the leftist cabal on how to indoctrinate your students into Marxism?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:24 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
I've been teaching for 6 years. Might be taking a break after a really rough year. I have taught middle school and elementary level math. I hate the emphasis put on both grades and standardized testing. Everyone thinks that every kid should have an A or a B and that a C is basically failure which just leads to grade inflation. What are your thoughts about grade inflation and grading in general?
Grading sucks and grade inflation is a thing.

We do International Baccalaureate grading. 1-8. Then convert it to a letter grade.

A 33 is a D. Below that is an F. Yes, 33% is a D. The theory is kids should get some credit for their work. It is basically an miracle if someone fails.
There is more to it than what I can type, but if you fail, you are a complete idiot. I had a kid that did NO WORK and gets an IB grade of 1. Not a zero.

Admin and the theorists see all of this as making kids feel good about grades. We do not grade homework anymore. Only summative tests.
Kids can retake tests. Yup. Some schools allow multiple retakes. Some allow assignments to be handed in late. Yup

I feel all of this is doing a disservice to kids in getting them set up in the real world. Hand in late work in college. Come to work late. Pay your taxes late. Ask the boss if you can redo the proposal after it has been submitted to the client and they said no.

The theorists are worried more about self esteem than the real world applications. We are really messing up the future.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:28 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by Otter:
Anyway, a question: do you think there’s less, more or equal physical confrontations between students? Such as two guys settling things fisticuffs or do they slap fight and unfriend each other on social media to settle differences.
More. A lot more and vindictive more. Girls are the worst. They do not know how to handle disagreements and PARENTS ENCOURAGE IT. We have had more girl fights the last 5 years than boy fights.

Boys are now punished for being male and have become emasculated video game playing blobs.

I was hit by a 7th grade girl this year. If I had not intervened, the other girl would have been in the hospital. Interactions between students and teachers are sky high all over the place.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:30 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by loochy:
Do you take direct instruction from the leftist cabal on how to indoctrinate your students into Marxism?
No. But I know many that do.
I have talked a few teachers off the cliff when it comes to Trump. One EA said she wished someone would assassinate him. I let her have it. Have not talked to her since.
[Reply]
loochy 08:30 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
No. But I know many that do.
I have talked a few teachers off the cliff when it comes to Trump. One EA said she wished someone would assassinate him. I let her have it. Have not talked to her since.
:-), but also :-)
[Reply]
tooge 08:36 AM 06-10-2019
Have you ever wanted to choke a kid out?
[Reply]
loochy 08:38 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
Better question:

Have you ever NOT wanted to choke a kid out?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:39 AM 06-10-2019
Originally Posted by tooge:
Is today Monday???
Is the Pope Catholic???

I do tell them-I only have to see you for this class. You have to see you the rest of your life.
[Reply]
Otter 10:24 AM 06-10-2019
A 33 is a D. Below that is an F. Yes, 33% is a D. The theory is kids should get some credit for their work. It is basically an miracle if someone fails.
There is more to it than what I can type, but if you fail, you are a complete idiot. I had a kid that did NO WORK and gets an IB grade of 1. Not a zero
That's insane! Grades 1 thru 12 in my schools anything below a 70% was an a failure. College profs all had their own standards from department to department but the STEM departments were all anything below 60% was a failure and I was surprised by those standards.

33% passing is a scary precedent to set.

More. A lot more and vindictive more. Girls are the worst. They do not know how to handle disagreements and PARENTS ENCOURAGE IT. We have had more girl fights the last 5 years than boy fights.

Boys are now punished for being male and have become emasculated video game playing blobs.

I was hit by a 7th grade girl this year. If I had not intervened, the other girl would have been in the hospital. Interactions between students and teachers are sky high all over the place.
Times are a changing! I think I witnessed exactly one girl fight in 12 years of standard school. Girls just used to scar each other emotionally until one of them developed a eating disorder and guys beat the piss out of each other eventually.

The more I hear from teachers the more I'm glad I never considered the field.

Good luck, brother!
[Reply]
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up