ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fangio: "Drew Lock is a hard-throwing pitcher who doesn't know how to pitch yet."
RealSNR 08:52 PM 07-20-2019
I mean, he's not wrong. I kind of like how brutally honest he is.

Just a friendly reminder for draft media pundits to stop with the notion that any of these Drew Lock/Josh Allen/Chad Kelly hard-throwing morons are Patrick Mahomes. A: Patrick Mahomes STILL has a superior arm over all of them, and B: You need way more than just a hard-throwing arm in order to be Patrick Mahomes. Waaaaaaay more.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...uarterback-yet

Originally Posted by :
When Drew Lock fell out of the first round and into the Denver Broncos' lap at No. 42 in the 2019 NFL Draft, the quarterback was deemed a steal. A first-round arm talent and potential starter on a second-round rookie contract? Sign us up, the Broncos probably screamed in their draft room.

But just two days into training camp practice, Broncos coach Vic Fangio threw cold water on the notion that Lock was ready to play in a professional football game, much less take Joe Flacco's starting job in Denver.

Lock's lively but wild arm, Fangio told reporters Friday, needs to be tempered.

"I think a quarterback that can change his arm angles is a position when it's needed. You don't want to do it when you don't have to do it. Obviously if someone's in my face and I have to do it, that's good to have that talent," Fangio explained. "But if I'm strong in the pocket and there's nothing, I want to throw over the top, nice and strong. I don't want to rely on side-arms. It's good that he can do that, but he needs to use that when he needs to and not when he doesn't need to. His college offense really had no carryover to pro offenses. He was under duress a lot in college, so a lot of his plays he was running around.

"I don't think he's far along as far as being as NFL-ready a quarterback as he could've been. That's what I mean when I say he's got to get ready. He's not a quarterback yet -- he's a hard-throwing pitcher that doesn't know how to pitch yet. The faster he gets that, the better off he'll be and we'll be."

Like a 21st-century gridiron version of Ricky Vaughn, Lock has arm velocity and strength, but doesn't yet boast the touch and accuracy of a professional gunslinger. This was the rub on Lock coming out of Missouri, though that didn't keep the Broncos reportedly considering Lock the top quarterback on their board.

Perhaps Denver felt confident taking a chance on the boom-or-bust Lock because it had traded for the veteran Flacco, a safe and steady Super Bowl-winning signal-caller who can mentor (or not mentor) Lock through his rookie season.

If Fangio's honest commentary on Friday means anything, though, the Broncos are not going to be as gung-ho about pushing Lock into a starting position.

[Reply]
In58men 09:03 PM 07-20-2019
Everyone said the same about Pat. Media sucks with their shit opinions.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 09:08 PM 07-20-2019
Inaccurate college QBs don't suddenly get accurate in the NFL.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:11 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by In58men:
Everyone said the same about Pat. Media sucks with their shit opinions.
This is his HC, not the media.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:15 PM 07-20-2019
I don’t blame Denver for trying with him. Of course you can’t compare Lock to Mahomes because a talent like Pat comes around on average ever 10-12 years with Rodgers being the last one before Pat.

Pat has shown me what I want in a QB in the post-Pat Chiefs era (assuming I don’t kill myself in the sadness of living in a post-Pat era), and Lock is as close to what you would normally find...Very strong arm, mobility and a willingness to be coached.

Accuracy will surely be Lock’s downfall. He just doesn’t have good touch at all on his downfield throws. Time will tell if coaching and fundamentals can help rectify that. There is however no doubt that this guy also gets nervous under duress. That’s what makes him so different than Pat, because Pat was making touch throws downfield on the run or fading away like it wasn’t a problem. I’ve also never seen a QB so confident and even tempered like Pat in high pressure situations.

Basically what I’m saying is I don’t want limited QB’s anymore in my life watching this team. The day will come when we need to replace Pat, and when we do it better be a QB with high potential and upside instead of an average retread or game manager.

There’s a reason the Packers were sniffing around him and almost took the kid.
[Reply]
Pablo 09:58 PM 07-20-2019
There's no shining a muTT turd. They're just born to suck ass. Poor coaching and all too...

Can't wait to watch him fail.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:58 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I don’t blame Denver for trying with him. Of course you can’t compare Lock to Mahomes because a talent like Pat comes around on average ever 10-12 years with Rodgers being the last one before Pat.

Pat has shown me what I want in a QB in the post-Pat Chiefs era (assuming I don’t kill myself in the sadness of living in a post-Pat era), and Lock is as close to what you would normally find...Very strong arm, mobility and a willingness to be coached.

Accuracy will surely be Lock’s downfall. He just doesn’t have good touch at all on his downfield throws. Time will tell if coaching and fundamentals can help rectify that. There is however no doubt that this guy also gets nervous under duress. That’s what makes him so different than Pat, because Pat was making touch throws downfield on the run or fading away like it wasn’t a problem. I’ve also never seen a QB so confident and even tempered like Pat in high pressure situations.

Basically what I’m saying is I don’t want limited QB’s anymore in my life watching this team. The day will come when we need to replace Pat, and when we do it better be a QB with high potential and upside instead of an average retread or game manager.

There’s a reason the Packers were sniffing around him and almost took the kid.
Sure. Teams should definitely take those chances. But what I don't like (and what you touched on just now and also in a thread months ago) is that now every strong-armed asshole entering the draft "could be the next Patrick Mahomes!!!"

Mahomes isn't great because he's got a rocket arm. He's great because he's got a rocket arm AND HE KNOWS HOW TO USE IT CREATIVELY. That's a key fucking component missing to all of these guys, and it's a big reason why it's an insult to Rodgers and Mahomes to say Allen and Lock are even on the same planet.

Mahomes minus his coachability, leadership, and mobility is Jay Cutler.

Mahomes minus his fearlessness in the pocket is Matt Stafford.

Mahomes minus a notch in arm strength and a few dozen IQ points is Sam Darnold.

Mahomes minus a set of testicles is Jared Goff.

And look, half of those guys I'd say are good QBs, and for sure they're better QBs than anything we've had comparatively in our history between Dawson and Mahomes. But see what happens when you take a guy and go, "He's got a live arm! He's just like Mahomes.... but he needs to work on ________"

It can still be good. You're right. Teams like Denver should definitely roll the dice on those guys. But even if you hit on them, you're not gonna get a Mahomes.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:02 PM 07-20-2019
WILD THING
[Reply]
New World Order 10:05 PM 07-20-2019
So basically he's Jay Cutler
[Reply]
Pablo 10:06 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
So basically he's Jay Cutler
Yeah, but with less talent.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:01 PM 07-20-2019
If Lock really works hard- he could be the next Tyler Bray. That is his ceiling.

Will look great wearing shorts during camp, throwing long bombs, but will never be a top QB.
[Reply]
TribalElder 11:06 PM 07-20-2019
Flacco is nervous
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 12:08 AM 07-21-2019
1) Lock is inaccurate. That normally is not fixable

2) Flacco was benched for a rookie that doesn't throw much in Lamar Jackson.

3) Elway

4) :-)
[Reply]
carcosa 12:10 AM 07-21-2019
The Broncos suck and all their players and fans should be beaten to death with hammers!!!!
[Reply]
New World Order 12:20 AM 07-21-2019
Originally Posted by carcosa:
The Broncos suck and all their players and fans should be beaten to death with hammers!!!!
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up