ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 22
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Media Center>FOX & MacFarlane's The Orville
Fire Me Boy! 06:46 AM 05-16-2017

[Reply]
kjwood75nro 12:03 AM 09-11-2017
It's exactly what I expect from anything with Seth MacFarlane in it.

Family Guy humor, with Brian Griffin's voice, heavy on references, and extremely formulaic.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it's definitely a predictable, mediocre thing.
[Reply]
notorious 06:33 AM 09-11-2017
I will try it again next week, but meh.
[Reply]
unlurking 08:55 AM 09-11-2017
I will definitely agree that it seems a bit lost. but I enjoyed it. Felt like Star Trek populated with normal Joes from down the street and some humor thrown in. Hopefully it gets a chance to find itself. I have certainly watched worse.
[Reply]
007 09:05 AM 09-11-2017
rather boring to be honest.
[Reply]
Chieficus 09:37 AM 09-11-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
I will definitely agree that it seems a bit lost. but I enjoyed it. Felt like Star Trek populated with normal Joes from down the street and some humor thrown in. Hopefully it gets a chance to find itself. I have certainly watched worse.
That was my feeling. It's not "must see tv", but I enjoyed it and had several laughs. I'll give it some more episodes, but it also has to improve to hook me longer.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:41 AM 09-11-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
You want to see how few restrictions there are, watch Rick and Morty. They make a lot of hay out the freedom on Adult Swim, but even without that freedom, it has way more creativity than just about anything out there, animated or no.

Nothing about network mandates FG's structure. If it did, it wouldn't be the only network show that has it.
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I've never seen it but I've only heard nothing but raves about it
Speaking of which, last night's RICK AND MORTY . . . . Holy Shit.
On one hand, I wouldn't recommend it for a first-time watcher, just on the basis of dropping into the narrative.
But as an example of how creative 21 minutes can be . . . Again, HOLY SHIT. You could spend a good 2+ hours just explaining the interconnection of references, tropes, allegories, philosophies, etc. that were contained therein.
And it didn't even feel overstuffed. It gave you just enough of a reference to get the narrative, in the only setting where it all made sense together.

There are things to quibble, but the quibbling is part of the experience as well. Talented Motherfuckers, that lot.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:45 AM 09-11-2017
I enjoyed it for what it was. Had me chuckling the whole time with the blatantly stolen Star Trek bits. Will watch again next week.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:47 AM 09-11-2017
WTF did I watch last night?
[Reply]
crayzkirk 01:53 PM 09-11-2017
All I have to say is that it was just okay. I was expecting a more Galaxy Quest style of show however it really is just Star Trek with Seth and company. Too much concentration on the two main characters failed relationship.

The first season or two of Next Generation was pretty meh as well. At least we don't have the super wiz kid saving the day each week.

I like the idea of a bright future instead of the bleak one that the reboot and DS9 had. Maybe it will get better, maybe someone will actually punch Seth in the face a few times.

I'd like it if they could go a little more Farscape...
[Reply]
notorious 02:03 PM 09-11-2017
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
All I have to say is that it was just okay. I was expecting a more Galaxy Quest style of show however it really is just Star Trek with Seth and company. Too much concentration on the two main characters failed relationship.

The first season or two of Next Generation was pretty meh as well. At least we don't have the super wiz kid saving the day each week.

I like the idea of a bright future instead of the bleak one that the reboot and DS9 had. Maybe it will get better, maybe someone will actually punch Seth in the face a few times.

I'd like it if they could go a little more Farscape...
My Man!
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 02:45 PM 09-11-2017
Will give one more week to this suckfest.
[Reply]
sully1983 08:50 PM 09-11-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I won't say it's not good, but it is often lazy. And South Park absolutely pinpointed why.

Many many of their jokes weren't so much jokes as 'hey, remember when this happened. . . .'

'Geez, I'm more nervous than when that pedophile tried to give Arnold ice cream' - cut to 5 minute cartoon re-enactment of an episode of Diff'rent Strokes.

'Geez, I'm more mad when the Duke Boys thwarted Boss Hogg' - cut to 5 minute re-enactment of an episode of Dukes of Hazzard.

Rinse, repeat.

It's not all that different from Talk Soup or Tosh.0 in that regard. More commenting on how weird the rest of TV is, than making new TV.
Thank you! You said it better than I could. Family Guy is flat out lazy comedy.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 10:12 PM 09-11-2017
Just watched it on the DVR. It was okay. I chuckled a few times, but I have to admit, I was expecting more funny.

It will be interesting to see if it can hang around long enough to get into a groove.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:39 PM 09-12-2017
I mean, it was the pilot episode. The timing isn't there yet with the actors, nor is the writing. It was entertaining enough for me to go back and see where it goes. I wasn't expecting Yesterday's Enterprise level of good or anything.
[Reply]
JD10367 05:03 PM 09-12-2017
Didn't think it was as bad as some are saying. Yes, it's a bit more of a serious take than expected. But, honestly, "Galaxy Quest" has already been done so they have to do more than make it "Ted or Family Guy in Space". The effects are honestly better than anything from the Trek TV universe, Adrianne Palicki was really good in "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.", the woman playing the doctor was good as the last police captain on "Castle"... it probably won't last with it's strange mix of serious and lowball humor but, as was said, I do like its take of "regular joes in space". As much as I loved the Trek TV shows, they were just so serious and full of themselves for the most part.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 22
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up