ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 20
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Let's talk Defensive Line
Couch-Potato 02:02 PM 02-18-2023
Went through a bunch of threads to identify all of our interests across the defensive line, is this all of them? Who else should be added to the list? Removed from the list? Should anyone be moved up or down on the draft target list?

FA Targets
-DE Yannick Ngakoue, IND
-DT Da’ron Payne, WAS
-DT Poona Ford, SEA
-DE Jadaveon Clowney, CLV
-DT Kalen Saunders, KC
-DT Greg Gains, LAR
-DT Armon Watts, CHI
-DE Ardon Key, JAX
-DE Clean Ferril, LVR
-DE Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, HOU
-DT Chris Wormley, PIT
-DT Maurice Hurst, SF
-DT Andrew Billings, CIN

Vet Trade Targets
-DE Brian Burns, CAR
-DE Chase Young, WAS
-DE Carl Granderson, New Orleans
-DE Za'Darius Smith, Minnesota
-DE D.J. Wonnum, Minnesota

1st Rd Targets
-DT Byran Breese,
-DE Lukas Van Ness, Iowa
-DE BJ Ojulari, LSU
-DE Keion White, Georgia Tech
-DE Derick Hall, Auburn
-DE Isahiah Foskey, ND
-DE Nolan Smith, Georgia
-DL Tuli Tuipulotu, USC
-DE Andre Carter, Army

2nd Rd Targets
-DT Siaki Ika, BU
-DE Will McDonald IV, Iowa St.
-DL Calijah Kancey, Pitt
-DE Zach Harrison, Ohio State
-DE Anudike-Uzomah, Kansas State
-DT Mazi Smith, Michigan

3rd Rd Targets
-DT Gervon Dexter, Florida
-NT Keanu Benton, Wisconsin
-DE Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern
-DL Byron Young, Tennessee
-DT Zack Pickens, South Carolina
-DL Mike Morris, Michigan
-DE Dylan Horton, TCU

4th Rd Targets
-DT Byron Young, Alabama
-DE Viliami Fehoko, San Jose St
-DE Thomas Incoom, Central Michigan
-DL Yaya Diabi, Louisville
-DE Habakkuk Baldonado, Pitt

5th-7th Rd Targets
-DE Isaiah McGuire, Missouri
-DE Caleb Murphy, Ferris St
-DE Derek Parish, Houston
-DT Dante Stills, West Virginia
-NT Elijah Simmons, Tennessee
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:10 AM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
What made McDuffie an outlier?
Length. Spags is said to prefer taller DBs.

By and large it checks out. Fenton being one of our few recent exceptions.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:11 AM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Length. Spags is said to prefer taller DBs.

By and large it checks out. Fenton being one of our few recent exceptions.
And in particular arm length.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:13 AM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
And in particular arm length.
Yeah, I had 'prefer longer DBs' in there but it read funny to me.

McDuffie just didn't fit the Spags mold. You especially wouldn't have figured on a fairly aggressive trade-up to get him.

The 'mold' is more of a set of guidelines. They'll go outside them if they find a player they like. I feel like they lean into that sort of thing more heavily in the 3rd day when they're trying to find contributors rather than potential blue-chippers.

Danna being the exception I can think of as a 3rd day pick who doesn't fit a typical rubric for what we seem to look for. The rest of the 3rd day picks tend to adhere to a general trend.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:31 AM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, I had 'prefer longer DBs' in there but it read funny to me.

McDuffie just didn't fit the Spags mold. You especially wouldn't have figured on a fairly aggressive trade-up to get him.

The 'mold' is more of a set of guidelines. They'll go outside them if they find a player they like. I feel like they lean into that sort of thing more heavily in the 3rd day when they're trying to find contributors rather than potential blue-chippers.

Danna being the exception I can think of as a 3rd day pick who doesn't fit a typical rubric for what we seem to look for. The rest of the 3rd day picks tend to adhere to a general trend.
The McDuffie thing just threw me off entirely.

I absolutely loved McDuffie, but I didn't think he'd be in our range, and he obviously didn't meet the typical thresholds.

It's exactly why I don't know what think think about guys like Smith and McDonald at EDGE.

A big question mark going into this draft is have the Chiefs becomes more flexible with this stuff, or is McDuffie jsut a great football player that they made an exception for?

They sure have met with a lot of those undersized edge rushers.
[Reply]
Urc Burry 10:40 AM 04-05-2023
It sure seems like the Van Ness hype has slowed down. At what point of the draft do you consider trading up for him?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:57 AM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
The McDuffie thing just threw me off entirely.

I absolutely loved McDuffie, but I didn't think he'd be in our range, and he obviously didn't meet the typical thresholds.

It's exactly why I don't know what think think about guys like Smith and McDonald at EDGE.

A big question mark going into this draft is have the Chiefs becomes more flexible with this stuff, or is McDuffie jsut a great football player that they made an exception for?

They sure have met with a lot of those undersized edge rushers.
Bert's been readin' my shit!
[Reply]
Mecca 02:07 PM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by Urc Burry:
It sure seems like the Van Ness hype has slowed down. At what point of the draft do you consider trading up for him?
He's in the top 15 on basically every mock...

Also Myles Murphy killed it today, 6'5 271 with a 4.52 40.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:50 PM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
He's in the top 15 on basically every mock...

Also Myles Murphy killed it today, 6'5 271 with a 4.52 40.
Perfect Spags DE.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 07:56 PM 04-05-2023
This feels like a really stupid question, but is there a difference between "DE" and "ED"? I noticed some sites designate either or for players, is that just a typo? Interchangeable?
[Reply]
Urc Burry 08:48 PM 04-05-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
This feels like a really stupid question, but is there a difference between "DE" and "ED"? I noticed some sites designate either or for players, is that just a typo? Interchangeable?
Generally speaking..

DE is exclusively a 4-3 defensive end. Nick Bosa would be labeled a DE

Edge will be a guy who’s more versatile and is a pass rusher who can play end in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. Like Von or Mack

3-4 DEs are usually going to be found in the DT pool. Because they usually need to be at or around 300 lb

This is how I interpret it at least :-)
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:16 PM 04-05-2023
Generally speaking..

DE is exclusively a 4-3 defensive end. Nick Bosa would be labeled a DE

Edge will be a guy who’s more versatile and is a pass rusher who can play end in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. Like Von or Mack

3-4 DEs are usually going to be found in the DT pool. Because they usually need to be at or around 300 lb

This is how I interpret it at least :-)
DE, strictly 4-3

EDGE are tweeners, that are a better fit for a 3-4 alignment
[Reply]
BossChief 10:30 PM 04-05-2023

Last draft, we traded from 29 to 21 by giving up 816 draft value points to secure a slot worth 800, so I’d assume a similar type of value can be used to get to the 21/22 area again this year.

29 - 640
94 - 124
121 - 52

21 - 800

31 - 600

To get up to around pick 18 is 900 points and to get to 16 is 1,000.

So, basically using out first and second would likely get up to pick 18 and it would cost approximately our first 3 picks to move up to 16.

I love Van Ness, but this draft has so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that I can’t justify giving away enough draft capital to move up any higher than 20/21…but I’d prefer moving up to that range than staying put at 31.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:47 PM 04-05-2023
Guys I’m hoping fall past 19/20 that we should have a chance at

Van Ness
Jalen Carter
Tyree Wilson
quentin Johnston
JSN
Paris Johnson
Darnell Wright
Bryan Breese
Nolan Smith
Myles Murphy
Anton Harrison
Broderick Jones
Zay Flowers
Jordan Addison
Dawand Jones

That’s 15 guys that doesn’t account for QBs, RBs, CBs, LBers IOL so there should be a good opportunity to have 2-3 of them available even if we sit tight at 31…but moving up in the first for a playmaker would be ideal for this team because 10 rookies aren’t making this roster.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 07:12 AM 04-06-2023
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Last draft, we traded from 29 to 21 by giving up 816 draft value points to secure a slot worth 800, so I’d assume a similar type of value can be used to get to the 21/22 area again this year.

29 - 640
94 - 124
121 - 52

21 - 800

31 - 600

To get up to around pick 18 is 900 points and to get to 16 is 1,000.

So, basically using out first and second would likely get up to pick 18 and it would cost approximately our first 3 picks to move up to 16.

I love Van Ness, but this draft has so much talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds that I can’t justify giving away enough draft capital to move up any higher than 20/21…but I’d prefer moving up to that range than staying put at 31.
He's damn good for sure, but some have him as a DT. And a draft like this i just think your better served throwing more darts in rounds 2-3.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:56 AM 04-06-2023

Pass Rush Win Rate per PFF in 2022

Nolan Smith: 25.5% ��
Tyree Wilson: 22.3%
Will Anderson: 20.4%
Keion White: 20.1%
Tuli Tuipolotu: 19.1%
BJ Ojulari: 18.9%
Lukas Van Ness: 18.8%
Derick Hall: 17.7%
Will McDonald: 16.8%