ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 47 of 1208
« First < 374344454647 4849505157971475471047 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:26 AM 12-08-2015
I'm thinking about making this tonight, never made anything like it: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1...marinara-sauce

If you're not following New York Times Food on Facebook, you're missing some killer stuff.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:13 PM 12-08-2015
CHEFS! I need advise and possibly quickly.

So I have an induction top now and I'm looking at getting a new skillet since my old non-stick won't work.

All-Clad has some very nice stuff; both 12 and 14 inch fry pans that I like a lot. The 14 inch seems like a no-brainer for the amount of surface area and the ability to avoid crowding the pan. That said, it weights 6 lbs which is pretty damn heavy for a skillet pan (my 12 inch cast iron is only 7 lbs). The 12 inch only weighs 4 lbs so for flipping and things of that nature, it's going to be a lot easier with the 12 inch.

Does anyone have much experience with a 14 inch skillet as their 'workhorse' skillet? Is the extra weight worth the extra surface area or do you find that you rarely need that extra area?
[Reply]
O.city 12:16 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

So I have an induction top now and I'm looking at getting a new skillet since my old non-stick won't work.

All-Clad has some very nice stuff; both 12 and 14 inch fry pans that I like a lot. The 14 inch seems like a no-brainer for the amount of surface area and the ability to avoid crowding the pan. That said, it weights 6 lbs which is pretty damn heavy for a skillet pan (my 12 inch cast iron is only 7 lbs). The 12 inch only weighs 4 lbs so for flipping and things of that nature, it's going to be a lot easier with the 12 inch.

Does anyone have much experience with a 14 inch skillet as their 'workhorse' skillet? Is the extra weight worth the extra surface area or do you find that you rarely need that extra area?
Not much experience with a 14 inch skillet, but I do have experience working with "something" that's about 14 inches on a day to day basis that's about the same weight.

It's not easy, but it's a life someone has to live
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:19 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by srvy:
:-) That looks delicious. The fork and spoon handles look like they needed to be flattened over the anvil when it came out the forge. :-)
Hh, Ha. :-) Those are my rustic silverware with twig handles.

I'm on the lookout for some antique or rustic pewter looking bowls with handles on the side.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:26 PM 12-08-2015

I don't like a 14-inch skillet. Just a little too cumbersome for me. Personal opinion, 12 is the way to go. My workhorse is a 12-inch Lodge I've had for close to 20 years. I've also got a 12-inch stainless that gets a decent workout and a 12-inch anodized pan that gets a lot of work. I've got a 14-inch, but I rarely use it. Only for particularly large jobs.

Also, I think All Clad is great stuff, but not for the money (and keep in mind, I'm not against spending money on good stuff; I just think you can get equally good performing pans for less).
[Reply]
srvy 12:28 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Hh, Ha. :-) Those are my rustic silverware with twig handles.

I'm on the lookout for some antique or rustic pewter looking bowls with handles on the side.
Wood spoons, forks, bowls and plates. I saw the Woodwrites Shop on pbs. He had this gut who hand carved them just like they did yesteryear. Now thats rustic but pewter is awsome. I have a pewter grog mug.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:58 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I don't like a 14-inch skillet. Just a little too cumbersome for me. Personal opinion, 12 is the way to go. My workhorse is a 12-inch Lodge I've had for close to 20 years. I've also got a 12-inch stainless that gets a decent workout and a 12-inch anodized pan that gets a lot of work. I've got a 14-inch, but I rarely use it. Only for particularly large jobs.

Also, I think All Clad is great stuff, but not for the money (and keep in mind, I'm not against spending money on good stuff; I just think you can get equally good performing pans for less).
All-clad is running a 50% off deal on factory seconds so I can get either a 12 or 14 for around $100. Seems like a good buy there.

I have a 12 inch Les crucet already so I feel like the 12 inch non stick may be redundant and with the toddler growing up, it seems like I might want the surface area more often in the future.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 01:05 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by srvy:
Wood spoons, forks, bowls and plates. I saw the Woodwrites Shop on pbs. He had this gut who hand carved them just like they did yesteryear. Now thats rustic but pewter is awsome. I have a pewter grog mug.
Thanks for the lead.

If you see a giant cauldron in cast iron somewhere let me know. I need something like that too. :-)
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 01:22 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Thanks for the lead.

If you see a giant cauldron in cast iron somewhere let me know. I need something like that too. :-)
I knew it! She's a witch!

:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:34 PM 12-08-2015
Eh, talked myself out of it.

Just got a boring ol' T-Fal professional 12 inch. Cheaper, not as pretty, but lighter so it's easier to work with. It'll probably fail in 5 years or so but it cost 1/4 as much so I'll just replace it.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:37 PM 12-08-2015
Eh, talked myself out of it.

Just got a boring ol' T-Fal professional 12 inch. Cheaper, not as pretty, but lighter so it's easier to work with. It'll probably fail in 5 years or so but it cost 1/4 as much so I'll just replace it.
That actually is one of ATK's best rated pans. I have one and love it.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 01:40 PM 12-08-2015
I have the all clad 14, it is too cumbersome for your everyday skillet, but it's great for certain things like pasta w clam sauce.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:40 PM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
That actually is one of ATK's best rated pans. I have one and love it.
Yeah, that's why I went ahead and grabbed it. I tend to trust ATK not to manipulate outcomes and such and while I don't love the textured surfaces on my non-sticks, the T-Fal just did a damn nice job for them and at a hair over 2 pounds, I can pick up the pan and toss shit to my heart's content.

(I still want that damn 14 inch All-Clad though...)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:41 PM 12-08-2015
Yeah, that's why I went ahead and grabbed it. I tend to trust ATK not to manipulate outcomes and such and while I don't love the textured surfaces on my non-sticks, the T-Fal just did a damn nice job for them and at a hair over 2 pounds, I can pick up the pan and toss shit to my heart's content.

(I still want that damn 14 inch All-Clad though...)
I use the T-Fal for most stir fries, even though I have a nice wok. It's also my egg pan.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 02:36 PM 12-08-2015
If BEP's food is merely half as good as it looks , I would sit next to Bufkin,'s "friend" with large hands and across from BlackBob to eat that food.

Seriously though I doubt anyone of the characters on this board would be that hard to have a meal with BEP is entertaining and interesting so its a no brainer yes....even though I disagree with her on a few things...
[Reply]
Page 47 of 1208
« First < 374344454647 4849505157971475471047 > Last »
Up