Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Media Center>Windows 11
eDave 06:48 PM 06-15-2021
Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more

[Reply]
htismaqe 02:29 PM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
A large part of my job is packaging and pushing software and MDM profiles to large numbers of computers. Apple's last two operating systems have been a huge pain in the ass for people like me. Apple has currently went way overboard with their personal privacy controls as of late. They've locked their OS down to the point it's very difficult for admins like me to properly manage them for our users. Apple seems insistent on cutting out any middle management between itself and the end users, to the detriment of developers.

Windows is seemingly going the opposite direction. Especially with the ability to run Android apps natively. LOL.

Both Windows and OS X could use a slight course correction...
Yep.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:45 PM 06-24-2021
I'm not a gamer but I thought I'd share this info for those of you who are:

------

Windows 11 update will add multiple features for gamers including two key features utilized by the company’s Xbox consoles – Auto HDR and DirectStorage.

With Auto HDR, Windows 11 will make it easier to turn high dynamic range on or off if the hardware supports it. It will better stabilize it if switched on and automatically upgrade titles to HDR when possible.

Direct Storage loads game assets directly to the GPU instead of through the CPU to avoid bottlenecks. It also makes use of higher read and write speeds of NVMe storage, PCIe 4.0 and the upcoming PCIe 5.0 standard.

Additionally, the Xbox app is built directly into Windows 11, with deeper integration of Xbox Game Pass. Subscribers will be able to download and stream titles using Xbox cloud gaming. It also allows cross-play between consoles and PCs.
[Reply]
eDave 02:57 PM 06-24-2021
More multiple screen options as well.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 03:31 PM 06-24-2021
Its garbage, the sand boxing will lead to so much of a headach. But then again the business world will no update to this for 2 years.

But designing your OS with "Streaming" in mind is fucking moronic. No one wants to use Microsoft tools for streaming when there are much better streaming applications that are open source.

Some of these features like HDR are nice, but mark my words. When someone works all day on something then accidently closes their VM or god forbid a Update restart *shudder*
[Reply]
eDave 03:36 PM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Its garbage, the sand boxing will lead to so much of a headach. But then again the business world will no update to this for 2 years.

But designing your OS with "Streaming" in mind is fucking moronic. No one wants to use Microsoft tools for streaming when there are much better streaming applications that are open source.

Some of these features like HDR are nice, but mark my words. When someone works all day on something then accidently closes their VM or god forbid a Update restart *shudder*
Win10 end of life is slated for October, 2025.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:53 PM 06-24-2021
Windows 11 better not fuck up my “new” computer!!
[Reply]
Fish 10:34 PM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Windows 11 will be fine. Windows updates/upgrades are infinitely better than they were a decade ago. It's a free and painless process these days for the typical end user. Some here are exaggerating the concerns quite a bit. Outside of lazy IT management, updates/upgrades shouldn't be avoided these days....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:46 PM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Windows 11 will be fine. Windows updates/upgrades are infinitely better than they were a decade ago. It's a free and painless process these days for the typical end user. Some here are exaggerating the concerns quite a bit. Outside of lazy IT management, updates/upgrades shouldn't be avoided these days....
If the benchmarks are as high as some are claiming, I'll be happy to have it on my computer asap.
[Reply]
eDave 11:04 PM 06-24-2021
How To Move Windows 11 Taskbar To Left Using Settings and Reg Edit:

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-move-wi...-taskbar-left/

Windows 11 Start menu: How to make it look like Windows 10

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622...indows-10.html
[Reply]
eDave 04:21 AM 06-25-2021
Hey man, do us a solid and hit Windows-R and type TPM.msc in the run dialog box and let us know what the specification version is.

Example:

And since you are using your integrated video, type dxdiag in the same run dialog box and let us know what version of DirectX is installed.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:07 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Hey man, do us a solid and hit Windows-R and type TPM.msc in the run dialog box and let us know what the specification version is.

Example:

And since you are using your integrated video, type dxdiag in the same run dialog box and let us know what version of DirectX is installed.
"Compatible TPM cannot be found"
[Reply]
eDave 07:18 AM 06-25-2021
Good news! Windows 11 will not fuck up your computer.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:21 AM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Good news! Windows 11 will not fuck up your computer.
This is great news! I cannot believe how fast everything is moving now. My work software used to take minutes to load (the servers are in Florida and they still use Internet Explorer) so it's slow in general but it went from taking 1-2 minutes to load to about 15 seconds.

All of you guys are so smart!
[Reply]
eDave 07:25 AM 06-25-2021
This is great news! I cannot believe how fast everything is moving now. My work software used to take minutes to load (the servers are in Florida and they still use Internet Explorer) so it's slow in general but it went from taking 1-2 minutes to load to about 15 seconds.

All of you guys are so smart!
By that I mean you will be unable to upgrade.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:27 AM 06-25-2021
Do all of these changes really affect the casual user? I dont use mine for much past browser, a grade program and small things.

Most of what I do anymore is web based. Schoology, google docs and suite. I have easily adapted to all versions. Some things have been added and taken away, but got by.
Thoughts?

My problem is going from Win at home to Mac as my school computer. We get new school computers this summer too.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 16
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up