ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:23 AM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Striving for a Mex/Asian leaning hot sauce with some Umami flavors as I'm beyond bored with straight Sriracha.

Fire roasted some red jalapenos and added some Tamari (Japanese soy sauce). Plan to finish with some white vinegar and garlic.

Really pleased with how this came out. Deep umami flavor with a smooth heat.

[Reply]
KCUnited 04:25 AM 07-13-2021
New study out of the Stanford School of Medicine on the benefits of fermented foods.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...s-inflammation

Eating foods such as yogurt, kefir, fermented cottage cheese, kimchi and other fermented vegetables, vegetable brine drinks, and kombucha tea led to an increase in overall microbial diversity, with stronger effects from larger servings. “This is a stunning finding,” said Justin Sonnenburg, PhD, an associate professor of microbiology and immunology. “It provides one of the first examples of how a simple change in diet can reproducibly remodel the microbiota across a cohort of healthy adults.”

In addition, four types of immune cells showed less activation in the fermented-food group. The levels of 19 inflammatory proteins measured in blood samples also decreased. One of these proteins, interleukin 6, has been linked to conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, Type 2 diabetes and chronic stress.

“Microbiota-targeted diets can change immune status, providing a promising avenue for decreasing inflammation in healthy adults,” said Christopher Gardner, PhD, the Rehnborg Farquhar Professor and director of nutrition studies at the Stanford Prevention Research Center. “This finding was consistent across all participants in the study who were assigned to the higher fermented food group.”
[Reply]
Stewie 06:42 PM 07-14-2021
I think homemade fermentation is better than store bought. My gut has settled down immensely since I've been fermenting cabbage for sauerkraut. Reduced acid reflux and no hard craps.
[Reply]
lcarus 07:01 PM 07-14-2021
Hey there's nothing lame about making a good hot sauce. I'm not even a true "hot sauce guy" and I still think it's awesome. I mean I love hot sauce but I'm not one of those guys that wants a billion Scovilles on my chicken wing.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:23 PM 07-15-2021
I grow my own jalapeños.

Give me the simplest way to try this with them.

I also need fermenting jars? Is my house at 72-76 going to be too hot for this?
[Reply]
srvy 06:22 PM 07-15-2021
Check Dollar Tree for Fido jars like Mohillbilly previously mentioned. Guys at work who garden get those cheapies and say they work fine. They have 10 or 12 oz I think seen them before. I also like the mason jar setup with the fermination bubbler in the top center. That way you don't need to nurse it daily opening to burp it.
[Reply]
Stewie 07:56 PM 07-15-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I grow my own jalapeños.

Give me the simplest way to try this with them.

I also need fermenting jars? Is my house at 72-76 going to be too hot for this?
Peppers are great for fermenting. I've heard jalapenos get hotter after fermentation. Not sure but it might have to do with the brine.

Sometimes you can buy single Mason jars at Walmart. Jars and lids in quantity are still difficult to find.

There are lots of videos on YouTube about fermenting. Here's one for jalapenos.

https://youtu.be/NrzlusLSrCQ
[Reply]
lewdog 08:08 PM 07-15-2021
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Peppers are great for fermenting. I've heard jalapenos get hotter after fermentation. Not sure but it might have to do with the brine.

Sometimes you can buy single Mason jars at Walmart. Jars and lids in quantity are still difficult to find.

There are lots of videos on YouTube about fermenting. Here's one for jalapenos.

https://youtu.be/NrzlusLSrCQ
I have tons of regular mason jars but do I need something different than a standard one?
[Reply]
Stewie 08:16 PM 07-15-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I have tons of regular mason jars but do I need something different than a standard one?
Mason jars are great. You can use regular lids and rings but you need to burp the jars to let gas escape. There are vented lids you can buy that vents the gas without having to burp. You'll also need a way to keep things under the brine.

Most of this is covered in earlier posts.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:48 AM 07-16-2021
Fermented green cherry tomatoes.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/lacto-...ickles-1327618
[Reply]
Indian Chief 12:45 PM 07-16-2021
I just found this thread and it's good timing. I have Thai dragon peppers growing in the garden for the first time this year and I'd love to make a sauce with them.

Also, re: lew's link, I pickle the last batch of underripe tomatoes every year and they're a huge hit with family and friends.
[Reply]
Fish 12:55 PM 07-16-2021
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
I just found this thread and it's good timing. I have Thai dragon peppers growing in the garden for the first time this year and I'd love to make a sauce with them.

Also, re: lew's link, I pickle the last batch of underripe tomatoes every year and they're a huge hit with family and friends.
Thai dragons are delicious. Were they difficult to grow?
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:09 PM 07-20-2021
Dressed some chicharrones for an afternoon snack. Top tier canvas for hot sauce.

[Reply]
lewdog 05:05 PM 07-20-2021
Did you guys buy the weights or is there something easier/cheaper to place on top of food in brine to keep it submerged?
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:12 PM 07-20-2021
I improvise with what I have but am looking into them
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up