ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Media Center>Your Favorite Short Stories?
Mennonite 12:25 PM 08-12-2019
Any genre. What are some of your favorites?
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:26 AM 07-08-2021
bump

I'm compiling an ebook of my favorite short stories and I'm in need of a few more to pad it out.

Anybody read any good ones lately? Any old favorites that haven't been mentioned yet?
[Reply]
EPodolak 12:05 PM 07-08-2021
Heh, do viral twitter threads count?

Saw a crazy movie at the theater the other night - Zola, the entire thing is based on a whacked out series of 148 tweets posted by a stripper named Zola, about her adventures in Florida. It's memorable story telling, at it's seediest :-)
[Reply]
Cheater5 12:24 PM 07-08-2021
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge-- Ambrose Pierce.

A Soldier's Home by Hemingway.

A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J.D. Salinger
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:55 PM 07-08-2021
I actually liked Bartleby The Scrivener by Melville
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:03 AM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I actually liked Bartleby The Scrivener by Melville

“Ah! Bartleby, Ah! humanity”

Some stories just have a way of sticking in your mind even if you can't explain why. This is one of them.

Originally Posted by Cheater5:
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge-- Ambrose Pierce.

A Soldier's Home by Hemingway.

A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J.D. Salinger

Owl Creek Bridge is a classic. I read a collection of Bierce's stuff a few years ago and I don't think he ever topped that story. "Oil of Dog" and "A Horseman in the Sky" are also worth checking out.

My favorite Hemmingway story is The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber which EPodolak already mentioned.
[Reply]
Donger 10:07 AM 07-10-2021
Sound of Thunder - Bradbury
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:14 AM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sound of Thunder - Bradbury

How many butterflies had to get stepped on for us to end up in the D.C. forum timeline?
[Reply]
vailpass 11:09 AM 07-10-2021
Great question. Check out this link:

https://lithub.com/43-of-the-most-ic...lish-language/
[Reply]
Mennonite 11:36 AM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Great question. Check out this link:

https://lithub.com/43-of-the-most-ic...lish-language/

Some great stories there. I've read many of them, but there are still several that I have never heard of. Funny how the author of the article has to preemptively apologize for her own list because it is "much too white and male."
[Reply]
vailpass 12:31 PM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Some great stories there. I've read many of them, but there are still several that I have never heard of. Funny how the author of the article has to preemptively apologize for her own list because it is "much too white and male."
Yep. I ignore that bull shit and go to the literary references. There are some good ones. Many of my favorite short stories are sci-fi, also some southern lit. I’ll try to recall them and contribute.
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:35 PM 07-10-2021
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Yep. I ignore that bull shit and go to the literary references. There are some good ones. Many of my favorite short stories are sci-fi, also some southern lit. I’ll try to recall them and contribute.
Sounds good. I don't know shit about coding so it's taking me a while to compile everything. That lady's list included "Story of Your Life" which is one of the best sci-fi stories I've ever read.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up