ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Considering myself lucky to still be here
Mosbonian 08:05 AM 10-02-2022
I know that most of you that are newer over the past 10 years probably do not know me....I haven't been as active on here as I was when I first joined when ChiefsPlanet started.....most of the old timers might remember me more as mmaddog than my present name.

September 9th started out to be a normal day...my wife was back in KC tending to her ailing mother. I was here in Jacksonville with my adult disabled son working my normal job from home. I had just finished my day at 4:30 and decided to take a quick power nap till 6 PM and then start dinner.

I was awakened by some very sharp pains in my chest.....one like I had never felt before. At first I thought, bad heartburn, but the pain was just getting more intense. I brushed my teeth, put on a different shirt and headed to the ER, calling my wife on the way. (The ER is 6 minutes from my house).

To make the long story short.....I was admitted that night and was on the operating table at 1:30 AM having the first of 3 stents put into my arteries. The first one was solo as the artery was 90% blocked and was what was causing the largest part of my pain. There were 2 other arteries that were 60% and 70 % blocked that they stented the following Monday. I spent 6 days total in the hospital, being monitored and working to control my blood pressure.

I am finally back to work....on a strict low-sodium, low potassium diet. I am walking 10 minutes a day, every day, to start and I am supposed to increase as it becomes easier to achieve each time and distance.

I consider myself very lucky....the Cardiologist and the other Doctor's who came to my room told me I escaped with no muscle damage to the heart. But they did say that had I waited 1 to 2 more days and I might not have made it thru the heart attack.

A lot of good friends and family prayed for me...sent me positive thoughts and have helped me thru this to this point. I reach out to my friends and "family" here in ChiefsPlanet just to ask for continued prayers and positive thoughts as I work my way back thru this.

For all my friends on here my age.....please do what I did not. Heed the warning signs and go to the Dr even if your pride won't let you. My pride and stubborness got me here and I would never wish any of the pain I felt that night....even to a Charger, Raider or a Donk fan. :-)
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:43 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Key was you going to the ER when you woke up with those pains. As the doctor said, that saved you.

A buddy of mine in his 40s and not at all overweight had something similar happen recently and he didn't go in for 48 hours. Kept telling himself it was heartburn. Turns out it was a widow-maker and now his heart muscle is functioning at less than 30% with no hope of ever getting better. His doctor told him he's already on borrowed time. Can't golf, can't hike, can't have sex, says he can't even walk up a short flight of stairs without getting winded. I can't even imagine a life like that, and he's naturally depressed and half checked out already. Seeing that happen to him certainly reaffirmed my commitment to staying in shape and trying to eat reasonably well.

If you feel severe pain in your chest, go to the ER immediately. Once heart muscle is damaged it doesn't come back.

Glad you caught it when you did!
This sounds like the lecture I got at the hospital....because I came in right away I am going to be able to live a normal life.....eventually will get back to golf...bowling.....working outside....and yes, sex.

I feel sorry for your friend....I feel lucky and blessed.....someone for once I bucked the trend in my family and let common sense drive me
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:44 AM 10-02-2022
Glad you are still here.

I know my time is coming.

Enjoy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
RunKC 10:44 AM 10-02-2022
Glad you made it. Get a good diet and exercise program in your life and get more weight off so you can ensure this doesn’t happen again.
[Reply]
scho63 10:46 AM 10-02-2022
This stent lived near you?
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 10:51 AM 10-02-2022
Hang in there buddy, keep that muscle pumping. :-)
[Reply]
TwistedChief 10:52 AM 10-02-2022
My friend, I'm so happy to hear that you made it through this!! Well done being proactive in managing your health.

Sending all good vibes your way and still remembering fondly our time spent together at that Chiefs/Jags game in 172 degree weather.

Be well, buddy.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:54 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Peter Gibbons:
So glad to hear you are doing well!
The following question arises only for concern for your family. Did you have someone who could care your son while you were incapacitated and your wife was away? I am sure you were worried for your son at the same time you needed to focus on yourself. I too have a special needs adult son and have similar concerns constantly when my wife and I are separated for any period of time.
Yeah...I was going to address that but didn't want to make the OT too long. Our next door neighbors are the greatest....before I left I called them and his wife came over and sat with my son. They really get along well so it made for one thing I did not have to worry about.

Luckily for me...my daughter was on the first plane out of Bentonville and got here the next day at 10 AM....she took care of my son. My wife stayed in KC to take care of her mom for her operation that day and then caught a night flight out that got her at the hospital (thanks to delays) at 2 Am Friday morning. She came to the hospital and stayed with me all night. I had to laugh at the Nurse who came in and told her she had to leave....wife told her she was staying, and she did.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:56 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I'm glad I read this. I always remembered potassium being a supplement important to keeping the heart healthy. Your advice was to lower it. What's the reasoning there and what is it impacting in your case?
The Dr told me that I am getting enough potassium with the Losartan tablet that they want me to keep me on a low potassium regimen
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:56 AM 10-02-2022
Glad you pulled through and are on the mend :-)
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:01 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
My friend, I'm so happy to hear that you made it through this!! Well done being proactive in managing your health.

Sending all good vibes your way and still remembering fondly our time spent together at that Chiefs/Jags game in 172 degree weather.

Be well, buddy.
Thanks TC.....that 172 degree day here in Jacksonville I am surprised it didn't kill us all. Fond memories of all the people I met that day....especially all the ChiefsPlanet members.

Part of my penance I feel is to warn friends and family. If I save just one person the pain I went thru it will be worth it all.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:13 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I'm glad I read this. I always remembered potassium being a supplement important to keeping the heart healthy. Your advice was to lower it. What's the reasoning there and what is it impacting in your case?

Probably should have also added that I a type 2 Diabetic so that is an additional reason they want me to avoid anything heavy in potassium.
[Reply]
Toadkiller 11:28 AM 10-02-2022
I had the same thing in February except I was a bigger dumbass. Im 51 and I woke up friday morning, went to work, had chest pains, elbow pain all the classic shit and I just said nope that's heart burn and it went away in about an hour. Same thing saturday, damn heart burn. Sunday 2 am woke up moaning, so damn painful. Damn heart burn. My wife wanted to call an ambulance; I said hell no what will the neighbor's thing. Let me take a shower and see if the pain goes away. Nope didnt work, ok drive me to the hospital.
Yep heart attack, no room here so they ship me across the river to Portland. Turns out I had the widow maker, 3 times over three days. *85% of not surviving that each time. So yeah I am a dumbass, I knew what it was, dont be like me. I survived and Im thankful. Now its just dealing with the depression and anger. Glad you made it. Go to cardio rehab.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 11:32 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
Yeah...I was going to address that but didn't want to make the OT too long. Our next door neighbors are the greatest....before I left I called them and his wife came over and sat with my son. They really get along well so it made for one thing I did not have to worry about.

Luckily for me...my daughter was on the first plane out of Bentonville and got here the next day at 10 AM....she took care of my son. My wife stayed in KC to take care of her mom for her operation that day and then caught a night flight out that got her at the hospital (thanks to delays) at 2 Am Friday morning. She came to the hospital and stayed with me all night. I had to laugh at the Nurse who came in and told her she had to leave....wife told her she was staying, and she did.
That is awesome to have a great support network nearby.
Like others have said, take your rehab, diet and exercise seriously. Make it a priority to be around for your family as long as possible.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 12:00 PM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Toadkiller:
I had the same thing in February except I was a bigger dumbass. Im 51 and I woke up friday morning, went to work, had chest pains, elbow pain all the classic shit and I just said nope that's heart burn and it went away in about an hour. Same thing saturday, damn heart burn. Sunday 2 am woke up moaning, so damn painful. Damn heart burn. My wife wanted to call an ambulance; I said hell no what will the neighbor's thing. Let me take a shower and see if the pain goes away. Nope didnt work, ok drive me to the hospital.
Yep heart attack, no room here so they ship me across the river to Portland. Turns out I had the widow maker, 3 times over three days. *85% of not surviving that each time. So yeah I am a dumbass, I knew what it was, dont be like me. I survived and Im thankful. Now its just dealing with the depression and anger. Glad you made it. Go to cardio rehab.
Glad to hear you made it thru all that. The cardio rehab is at home and an everyday event for me.

Before I left the hospital I got a vist to discuss the possibility of anger and depression too. I have not had to deal with that...yet...as I am feeling very blessed and lucky. But if I see that coming on I do have the resources available.
[Reply]
Toadkiller 12:12 PM 10-02-2022
I was almost giddy a month or two after. Then overnight I became depressed and angry. Just something to look out for. Before my attack I was doing about 20 miles on the stationary bike, rowing about 30 mins and lifting some weights everyday. I had dropped 80 lbs and was feeling great. Now just trying to get back into the groove. The exhaustion and weakness is slowly going away.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up