ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Considering myself lucky to still be here
Mosbonian 08:05 AM 10-02-2022
I know that most of you that are newer over the past 10 years probably do not know me....I haven't been as active on here as I was when I first joined when ChiefsPlanet started.....most of the old timers might remember me more as mmaddog than my present name.

September 9th started out to be a normal day...my wife was back in KC tending to her ailing mother. I was here in Jacksonville with my adult disabled son working my normal job from home. I had just finished my day at 4:30 and decided to take a quick power nap till 6 PM and then start dinner.

I was awakened by some very sharp pains in my chest.....one like I had never felt before. At first I thought, bad heartburn, but the pain was just getting more intense. I brushed my teeth, put on a different shirt and headed to the ER, calling my wife on the way. (The ER is 6 minutes from my house).

To make the long story short.....I was admitted that night and was on the operating table at 1:30 AM having the first of 3 stents put into my arteries. The first one was solo as the artery was 90% blocked and was what was causing the largest part of my pain. There were 2 other arteries that were 60% and 70 % blocked that they stented the following Monday. I spent 6 days total in the hospital, being monitored and working to control my blood pressure.

I am finally back to work....on a strict low-sodium, low potassium diet. I am walking 10 minutes a day, every day, to start and I am supposed to increase as it becomes easier to achieve each time and distance.

I consider myself very lucky....the Cardiologist and the other Doctor's who came to my room told me I escaped with no muscle damage to the heart. But they did say that had I waited 1 to 2 more days and I might not have made it thru the heart attack.

A lot of good friends and family prayed for me...sent me positive thoughts and have helped me thru this to this point. I reach out to my friends and "family" here in ChiefsPlanet just to ask for continued prayers and positive thoughts as I work my way back thru this.

For all my friends on here my age.....please do what I did not. Heed the warning signs and go to the Dr even if your pride won't let you. My pride and stubborness got me here and I would never wish any of the pain I felt that night....even to a Charger, Raider or a Donk fan. :-)
[Reply]
Bowser 08:50 AM 10-02-2022
Glad you dodged the bullet, mos. Keep building yourself back up.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:07 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
You know....I thought there were no warning signs either. But all my friends and my wife were telling me I needed to see my primary for at least a month before this happened.

The first thing everyone says to me now...."man you look so much better, you have color back in your face, and you don't seem so bloated".

I have lost 16 lbs to this point.
Excellent.

So, I'm a total rube with physiology unless it's been explained to me and I haven't had a ton of exposure to heart stuff outside of strokes and congestive heart failure in terms of what has been explained to me. (I mentioned my FIL, but despite being exclusively an English speaker his whole life, sometimes that motherfucker doesn't speak English LOL). Like Lew this is pretty scary for me.

So would a stress test have found this? I'm not even 40 yet and it seems like every fucking thing on my body has been going to shit, so maybe I should get pre-emptive on the shit that can kill me.

Originally Posted by penguinz:
I was worried about this sort of thing so I went and got a heart scan. I was amazed it scored only a 5 out of 100.

At least I know dying from a heart attack is extremely unlikely for me.

Scan is only $50. I recommend it for peace of mind.
Interesting. Can you tell me what kind of a scan it was? And maybe where you got it. Odds are I will have to drive.
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 09:10 AM 10-02-2022
Glad everything worked out!

Take it easy, listen to the doc, and get better fast.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:13 AM 10-02-2022
Damn, bro. Close one!

The diet thing, I had to go completely gluten-free, low-fat, no processed...well, anything. Gave up most cheese...pizza, giving up pizza did suck...

But now, 6 months in, I feel better and don't miss the greasy salty fatty foods at all anymore.

I'm just saying, you will be better off and you'll feel better ta boot!

Glad you made it through
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 09:26 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Excellent.

So, I'm a total rube with physiology unless it's been explained to me and I haven't had a ton of exposure to heart stuff outside of strokes and congestive heart failure in terms of what has been explained to me. (I mentioned my FIL, but despite being exclusively an English speaker his whole life, sometimes that mother****er doesn't speak English LOL). Like Lew this is pretty scary for me.

So would a stress test have found this? I'm not even 40 yet and it seems like every ****ing thing on my body has been going to shit, so maybe I should get pre-emptive on the shit that can kill me.

Interesting. Can you tell me what kind of a scan it was? And maybe where you got it. Odds are I will have to drive.
It’s a non contrast, thin slice CT scan through the heart and great vessels. 3ml slices reconstructed in two planes. On a decent scanner it takes about 30 seconds. Calcium that is deposited in an artery shows as a white speck.

If you’re worried about radiation dose, the actual scan dose is pretty low. People tend to worry about that.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:55 AM 10-02-2022
Damn man glad you're OK now
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 10:09 AM 10-02-2022
Key was you going to the ER when you woke up with those pains. As the doctor said, that saved you.

A buddy of mine in his 40s and not at all overweight had something similar happen recently and he didn't go in for 48 hours. Kept telling himself it was heartburn. Turns out it was a widow-maker and now his heart muscle is functioning at less than 30% with no hope of ever getting better. His doctor told him he's already on borrowed time. Can't golf, can't hike, can't have sex, says he can't even walk up a short flight of stairs without getting winded. I can't even imagine a life like that, and he's naturally depressed and half checked out already. Seeing that happen to him certainly reaffirmed my commitment to staying in shape and trying to eat reasonably well.

If you feel severe pain in your chest, go to the ER immediately. Once heart muscle is damaged it doesn't come back.

Glad you caught it when you did!
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:16 AM 10-02-2022
My Dad had 3 stents put in before he was 60. He is 83 today. Crazy how effective these procedures have become. Glad you paid attention and got it taken care of as you have some more Chiefs Super Bowl wins to celebrate the next 15 years!
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:28 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
Sounds like you made the best out of a bad situation.

Now get your ass and move! :-)
You sound like my wife!
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:29 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I think when a person hits 50 the best thing they can do is start seeing a cardiologist and find out where you stand. Get the tests done.

I had chest pain about 5 years ago and went to the emergency room. They found nothing but sent me to a cardiologist and now I go every 6 months. About a year ago they claim I failed a stress test and said my heart was pumping out 40%. I believe it needs to be 60% or better so they put me on Carvedilol.

Had a heart cath a year ago. Everything looked fine. One artery 30% blockage. But at least I know where I stand.

Glad it all turned out good for you and Now you'll be getting regular checkups.
I am on Carvedilol also and another....Losartan

damn pills taste so nasty
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 10:32 AM 10-02-2022
So glad to hear you are doing well!
The following question arises only for concern for your family. Did you have someone who could care your son while you were incapacitated and your wife was away? I am sure you were worried for your son at the same time you needed to focus on yourself. I too have a special needs adult son and have similar concerns constantly when my wife and I are separated for any period of time.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:32 AM 10-02-2022
I'm glad I read this. I always remembered potassium being a supplement important to keeping the heart healthy. Your advice was to lower it. What's the reasoning there and what is it impacting in your case?
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:34 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Excellent.

So, I'm a total rube with physiology unless it's been explained to me and I haven't had a ton of exposure to heart stuff outside of strokes and congestive heart failure in terms of what has been explained to me. (I mentioned my FIL, but despite being exclusively an English speaker his whole life, sometimes that mother****er doesn't speak English LOL). Like Lew this is pretty scary for me.

So would a stress test have found this? I'm not even 40 yet and it seems like every ****ing thing on my body has been going to shit, so maybe I should get pre-emptive on the shit that can kill me.

Everyone but me saw the warning signs....so listen to your Dr and those who know and love you. If someone you are close to says "you look like crap" they don't normally mean you are ugly.....they are concerned.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 10:36 AM 10-02-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Damn, bro. Close one!

The diet thing, I had to go completely gluten-free, low-fat, no processed...well, anything. Gave up most cheese...pizza, giving up pizza did suck...

But now, 6 months in, I feel better and don't miss the greasy salty fatty foods at all anymore.

I'm just saying, you will be better off and you'll feel better ta boot!

Glad you made it through
Thanks....yeah pretty much everything I used to love to eat (hamburgers, hot dogs, potatoes, fries, etc) are all out the window.

I drink more unsweet tea and water now.....and oddly enough they have me drink a small glass of ginger ale every other day
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 10:41 AM 10-02-2022
:-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up