ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Have NFL defenses fully adjusted to the RPO?
rabblerouser 08:30 AM 09-30-2022
Elements of this discussion are popping up in other threads, so let's discuss it in its own thread?

My opinion :

NFL defenses have caught up with the RPO.

Time for Patrick to really hone his pre-snap reads and start actually going through progressions based on those reads as opposed to reading the safety to determine man or zone and then doing everything else based on what the defense presents once the ball is snapped.

They know what we're doing and have adjusted.

Will Reid toss Bieniemy and go back to his WCO roots and press Mahomes to be even greater?

Or are we looking at another McCarthy-Rogers situation?
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:29 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by emaw1979:
Yes. RPO is largely dead. Use more play action.
Bill Walsh, the architect of the WCO that Andy Reid learned fron Mike Holmgren, LOVED play action pass. Of course, he was a big fan of the "pro-set", 2 flat backs (what he called "Red") with the QB under center.

Very, very rarely did you see Montana in the shotgun, maybe for hail mary passes only, same with Young. I don't think we used the shotgun while Paul Hackett was here, not once.

The shotgun screams "pass" and defenders immediately key on the pass.

Only thing run-fakes off RPO do at this point is give the defense even more time to clamp down on the WRs routes, honestly.
[Reply]
Bowser 08:43 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15:
With Kareem Hunt the RPO was lethal. Without Kareem defenses just look for the pass for the most part. Not good, we still haven't adjusted.
Originally Posted by emaw1979:
Yes. RPO is largely dead. Use more play action.
I would love to see us start leaning more Air Coryell with this offense. I feel our line and personnel are good enough and our QB is certainly good enough but running back would be the problem with all the play action that system uses. Jamaal Charles was here a decade too early, dammit.

And yeah, I understand Air Coryell is basically just a mutant of the WCO. That's part of the reason I feel it could work under Reid with Mahomes leading it. You could also make the argument that the RPO is an amalgam of both offenses, and you could also make the argument that the running back position isn't strong enough on this team at the moment to fully incorporate ANY of those three systems to maximum effectiveness.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:59 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I would love to see us start leaning more Air Coryell with this offense. I feel our line and personnel are good enough and our QB is certainly good enough but running back would be the problem with all the play action that system uses. Jamaal Charles was here a decade too early, dammit.

And yeah, I understand Air Coryell is basically just a mutant of the WCO. That's part of the reason I feel it could work under Reid with Mahomes leading it. You could also make the argument that the RPO is an amalgam of both offenses, and you could also make the argument that the running back position isn't strong enough on this team at the moment to fully incorporate ANY of those three systems to maximum effectiveness.
McKinnon could be the half in a pure WCO, and Clyde would KILL in that Tom Rathman/Kimble Anders role at FB in the flat set.

I'm not talking out my ass when I say that it's the way to go. Hi-Lo concepts, attacking the defense at every level, pre-snap reads...

All these defenses that loaded up to stop deep passes off the RPO these past 3 years would be FUCKED.

*RETOOL, MOTHERFUCKERS*

That should have become the plan the moment the Tyreek trade became real.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:09 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Shag:
Interestingly, looking at this: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...g_advanced.htm, they only have Mahomes at 9 RPO snaps on the season. I haven't paid close enough attention to know if this is accurate, but afaik, they're generally considered a good resource for NFL stats.
Rando CP guys doesn’t know what he is stalking about? No freaking way.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:12 PM 10-01-2022
Here is a stat for the offense. Mahomes is 2nd in the league in EPA per snap. Baltimore is #1.

That’s how “broke” the offense is.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:08 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Rando CP guys doesn’t know what he is stalking about? No freaking way.
It's not my fault you're too fucking stupid to comprehend what I've posted.

Also to stupid to see where me and htismaqe blew that bullshit "stat" right out of the water.

But keep quoting incorrect sources, it somehow makes you look even dumber.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:09 PM 10-01-2022
Here is a stat for the offense. Mahomes is 2nd in the league in EPA per snap. Baltimore is #1.

That’s how “broke” the offense is.
Lost to Matt Ryan and the broke-dick Colts.

THAT'S how broke the offense really is.
[Reply]
SupDock 10-01-2022, 02:13 PM
This message has been deleted by SupDock.
Bl00dyBizkitz 02:26 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Lost to Matt Ryan and the broke-dick Colts.

THAT'S how broke the offense really is.
Superior teams losing to inferior teams happens quite often in the NFL.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:52 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don’t know that those stats are right. They ran RPO on 5 plays in their first 3 drives on Sunday.
I know.

I actually watch the games and have a triple digit IQ, too.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 02:55 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Bl00dyBizkitz:
Superior teams losing to inferior teams happens quite often in the NFL.
Especially when the offense can't actually be efficient and consistent.

Doesn't matter how superior the talent is, if the team you're facing is more cohesive and putting in more effort, you'll probably lose a few like that.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:02 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
RPO doesn't work without the run.

Wish we had Jamaal Charles.

No one would be complaining about the running game if JC was the RB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:05 PM 10-01-2022
We had over 100 yards rushing in the first half of the AFC Championship Game with a 5ypc/avg and an 18 point lead.

The Bengals were constantly dropping 7 AND 8 DEEP in the pre-snap defense formation, 3 man fronts, DARING Reid and Bieniemy to run the ball...

And they don't.

For whatever reason.

Now...understanding that we will never, ever present a "decent" running game without even a fleeting commitment to running the ball with a 3 score lead and 3 man defensive front...is your point that Reid will never present a "decent running game" and therefore, should probably quit pretending that RPO is going to go back to 2018 and put 50 TDs on the board via the air again?

Because it's not happening.

Yeah the AFCCG proved that Andy will never commit to a running game because that was the perfect scenario to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Marcellus 03:45 PM 10-01-2022
It's not my fault you're too ****ing stupid to comprehend what I've posted.

Also to stupid to see where me and htismaqe blew that bullshit "stat" right out of the water.

But keep quoting incorrect sources, it somehow makes you look even dumber.
No I read what you posted and comprehended it fine. And sorry but hitsmage saying something doesn’t make it fact.

Why didn’t you make this post after week 1?
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:36 PM 10-01-2022
No I read what you posted and comprehended it fine. And sorry but hitsmage saying something doesn’t make it fact.

Why didn’t you make this post after week 1?
Probably because we won the fucking game, jackoff.

It really helps to watch the games.

Goddamn, you are dumber than banging two hammers together.
[Reply]
TripleThreat 04:40 PM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by kcclone:
Defenses are certainly catching up to the RPO and college style spread offense. Nothing new, these things always ebb & flow back and forth.

As someone said earlier, the RPO is a heck of a lot more effective, when you present a decent running game.
Remember when favre was doing it with Peterson? It was nasty
[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up