ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 16
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>NFLPA initiates investigation into concussion protocols after Tua injury
tk13 03:37 PM 09-25-2022
This didn't take long.

NFLPA has told the NFL that it wants to initiate a review of the concussion protocols in light of Tua Tagovailoa’s return to today’s game in Miami, per source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 25, 2022

#Tua will be ruled out for @MiamiDolphins vs @BuffaloBills.
Outward signs of head injury means ruled out even if clears the concussion protocol. pic.twitter.com/Lj2AKO5D1A

— David J. Chao - ProFootballDoc (@ProFootballDoc) September 25, 2022

[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 08:39 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I want to preface this from the POV of 'I don't know, but neither do you.'

This level of certainty about the buckling seen on Sunday, or even the fencing/spasming on Thursday from seeing it on TV, is frustrating.

It's entirely possible that the docs are in the tank, and no one in the line of protocol kept them in check, and it's possible that Tua is some motivated master of masking the true source of his problems from all evaluators. But it's also possible that everyone is being on the up and up.

Point is, this level of certainty from lay observers is just as concerning as the things they are certain about.

That buckling on Sunday is concerning to observe, but I also had a recent momentary twinge in my lower extremity that could have been very concerning from the outside.

For some reason, could even be fighting off another flare-up of gout, I've had some soreness in my big toe, . . . just barely a notch above 'noticable.' But then when grocery shopping the other day, it turned sharp for JUST A SECOND and radiated right the eff up my leg. And for just a moment my foot couldn't take weight. I had to hold on to dear life to my shopping cart so I didn't take out a row of snacks.

A second later I was fine, but I can imagine if a stranger had been watching me closely, they might have thought I was on the verge of a stroke or something.

My point isn't to say I know anything here, just an example that reminded me how diversely symptoms of various things can manifest, and to say from visual observation you know it has to be one specific thing is not necessarily helpful, even if you have good intentions.

Exactly. Tony Gonzalez and Whitman were saying the same kind of things last night. I would be shocked if the doctors involved would be willing to risk their years of education, pay, and lifestyle on any QB in the NFL. It's not impossible either.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:46 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
You would think but the dolphins and the nfl seem intent on claiming this is a back injury. The question is, will they hold him out because of a back injury or will they put him on concussion protocol? I’d bet the former and that’s going to deservedly lead to tons of backlash.
Given the Dolphins recent history, doing something like that should lead to punishment, IMO.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:57 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by carcosa:
I love football, it's my favorite sport, but ****, this kind of shit makes it so hard to feel good about it
This is the benign NFL... Shoot, in the 70's without a million cameras on the field, they would have taken him to the bench and broke a couple of ammonia tabs under his nose and he probably would have played again. That was wrong, but this is far from the way it used to be.
[Reply]
notorious 09:02 AM 09-30-2022
How about we go with the simplest explanation.

Tua got drilled, it scrambled his eggs, team needed him to beat buffalo so they sent him back out.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 09:03 AM 09-30-2022
:-)
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:05 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:

Tua got drilled, it scrambled his eggs, team needed him to beat buffalo so they sent him back out.
And then Amazon needed him to get viewers to stream "Tua vs Burrow : The Pro Years, Pt 1"

It's obvious WHY they trotted him out there. It's not because he's the better QB, because the team scored more and more efficiently with Bridgewater...
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:07 AM 09-30-2022

Yup, by all measures mahomes was ok after getting knocked against cincy. But they ruled him out the rest of the game. Not only did they return him to the game they let him clear concussion protocol on a short week. So one part of you says this is on medical staff whose primary job is to provide minimal clearance to return. I think the bigger issue is the dolphins team who had the authority to sit him and chose not to.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:09 AM 09-30-2022
2pac Tagovailoa:

[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:11 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
Exactly. Tony Gonzalez and Whitman were saying the same kind of things last night. I would be shocked if the doctors involved would be willing to risk their years of education, pay, and lifestyle on any QB in the NFL. It's not impossible either.
The doctors work for the teams.

The teams are supposedly franchises, but they really aren't: they are factions of The Shield.

The Shield wanted Tua on the field to beat Buffalo last week, and wanted him on the field last night.

It's about ratings. Viewers. Algorithms. Money.

Nothing truly bad will happen to the Dolphins as long as they have the interests of The Shield at play.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:12 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:

The teams are supposedly franchises, but they really aren't: they are factions of The Shield.

The Shield wanted Tua on the field to beat Buffalo last week, and wanted him on the field last night.

Nothing truly bad will happen to the Dolphins as long as they have the interests of The Shield at play.
The independent neurologist that's supposed to be the arbiter does not work for the team. That's the whole point of being "independent".

The protocol was either circumvented or it failed. My guess is that it's the former, we just don't know how they did it yet.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 09:13 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
2pac Tagovailoa:

:-)
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:16 AM 09-30-2022
Miami fan is blinded by thirst for success.

https://finheaven.com/threads/just-w...-worse.374676/

The comments in that thread are….wow.
That is a really dumb fan base, lol.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:17 AM 09-30-2022
The Dolphins staff discussing Tua’s status for next week:

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:18 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by threebag:
Thursday night football needs to not be a thing. Maybe a Saturday night wouldn’t be too bad.
The stats don't really back that up.

And from the players I've heard speak to it, they like the occasional Thursday night game because it gives them a free weekend and a 'mini-bye' afterwards.

I don't really see a reason to eliminate it at this point.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 09:22 AM 09-30-2022
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:

There is an independent doctor already factored-in because of that exact concern as a check and balance.

So here is what people collectively are saying in essence

The team doctor is dirty/incompetent
The independent doctor is dirty/incompetent
The hospital last night is incompetent for letting him leave with the team yesterday

That's just not reasonable.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 16
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up