ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 36 of 63
« First < 263233343536 3738394046 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
Frazod 07:55 PM 02-01-2019
Seems like they're trying to fix the Klingons a bit. The pacing of the dialogue is faster, and they have hair now, so they look more like they used to.

I'm really enjoying Season 2. As much as I'm not enjoying Orville.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:45 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Seems like they're trying to fix the Klingons a bit. The pacing of the dialogue is faster, and they have hair now, so they look more like they used to.

I'm really enjoying Season 2. As much as I'm not enjoying Orville.
Ep. 3 was the weakest so far which is disappointing since it moved the arcs forward so much with
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Frazod 10:50 PM 02-01-2019
I think I've just learned to accept this for what it is - sci-fi entertainment for a new generation that happens to call itself Star Trek. There is obviously no way they'll ever bridge the gap between this and the original show, and also they obviously don't care. It is what it is.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Jamie 01:56 AM 02-02-2019
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:30 PM 02-02-2019
I think I've just learned to accept this for what it is - sci-fi entertainment for a new generation that happens to call itself Star Trek. There is obviously no way they'll ever bridge the gap between this and the original show, and also they obviously don't care. It is what it is.

Spoiler!
Mehhhhh I dunno about that.

One thing I've accepted on the ST mythos as it relates to the Federation is that the Enterprise gets staffed by the supposed best of the best Starfleet has to offer -especially at the higher ranks- since it's the flagship. Therefore they're the ones who've truly drank the Federation koolaid and are totally adherent to the morals of the organization. But the rest of Starfleet is comprised by more pragmatic types on the better end and the morally compromised on the opposite axis.

So it kind of makes sense to see Starfleet look the other way in the details of things (Bashir's genetic advancement or Kirk's breaking the time travel rules for example) because the ends justify the means in breaking some of the Federation's rules and allowing an organization like the Section does make sense considering the nature of what it's intended to do but not in the macro sense where it's deliberately breaking the prime directive solely to manipulate another power beyond the point of protecting the existence of the Federation.

EDIT: As to Admiral Cain, she was one of the more unfortunate bits to come out of the Ronald D. Moore Battlestar mythos since she bordered on being a moustache twirling villain just for the kick of it since I think it's not reasonable to start marooning your own genocided people in space because your girlfriend betrayed your trust.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:11 PM 02-02-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Mehhhhh I dunno about that.

One thing I've accepted on the ST mythos as it relates to the Federation is that the Enterprise gets staffed by the supposed best of the best Starfleet has to offer -especially at the higher ranks- since it's the flagship. Therefore they're the ones who've truly drank the Federation koolaid and are totally adherent to the morals of the organization. But the rest of Starfleet is comprised by more pragmatic types on the better end and the morally compromised on the opposite axis.

So it kind of makes sense to see Starfleet look the other way in the details of things (Bashir's genetic advancement or Kirk's breaking the time travel rules for example) because the ends justify the means in breaking some of the Federation's rules and allowing an organization like the Section does make sense considering the nature of what it's intended to do but not in the macro sense where it's deliberately breaking the prime directive solely to manipulate another power beyond the point of protecting the existence of the Federation.

EDIT: As to Admiral Cain, she was one of the more unfortunate bits to come out of the Ronald D. Moore Battlestar mythos since she bordered on being a moustache twirling villain just for the kick of it since I think it's not reasonable to start marooning your own genocided people in space because your girlfriend betrayed your trust.
Often, the "right" things the Federation and Picard personally did were dumb. Not pursuing the molecular cloaking device because it violated a treaty with the weasel-ass Romulans? Dumb. That certainly could have come in handy during the Dominion War. And not introducing the destructive program to destroy the Borg because Hugh was nice? Extremely dumb. Those two actions alone cost untold thousands of lives later on.

What Dark Helmet said to Lonestar about good being dumb was spot on.
[Reply]
Mennonite 06:53 PM 02-02-2019
Start using the phased cloaking device and you upset the balance of power. If you're planning a preemptive attack and/or you're 100% sure you can hide the tech until you've armed enough ships that the Romulans can't touch you and you're ok. If not, and the Romulans find out youve broken the treaty they would have no choice but to declare war to defeat you while they are still able.

The Romulans did give the Federation access to cloaking tech. The Defiant on DS9 had it, remember?

The Borg are a vast army of slaves. Is it ethical to kill billions and billions of people who are being forced to fight against their will? Maybe, if you don't have any other choice. But Picard and Hugh both proved that a drone could be saved, so there is another choice. A very tough one. It makes for an interesting debate.

One thing that isn't debatable is that if Picard had exterminated the Borg would never have got to see Jeri Ryan's fine ass in that catsuit.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 07:04 PM 02-02-2019
The (lack of) logic in the Feddies agreeing to abandon cloaking technology is because the writers lazily leaned on the subject as an analogy to real world nuclear armament.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:23 PM 02-02-2019
I can't think of a single real world example of a country declaring war on an enemy because they believe that they are about to develop technology that would upset the balance of power.

Not a single one.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:37 PM 02-03-2019
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Start using the phased cloaking device and you upset the balance of power. If you're planning a preemptive attack and/or you're 100% sure you can hide the tech until you've armed enough ships that the Romulans can't touch you and you're ok. If not, and the Romulans find out youve broken the treaty they would have no choice but to declare war to defeat you while they are still able.

The Romulans did give the Federation access to cloaking tech. The Defiant on DS9 had it, remember?

The Borg are a vast army of slaves. Is it ethical to kill billions and billions of people who are being forced to fight against their will? Maybe, if you don't have any other choice. But Picard and Hugh both proved that a drone could be saved, so there is another choice. A very tough one. It makes for an interesting debate.

One thing that isn't debatable is that if Picard had exterminated the Borg would never have got to see Jeri Ryan's fine ass in that catsuit.
Well, I'm of the mind that much like a gun, it's better to have the technology before you need it, than to need to technology and not have it. The Romulans were complete snakes anyway.

As for the Borg, hell yes, kill them. Kill them all. Picard himself never had any problem killing Borg, even those who were assimilated crew members. Had I been Picard's superior, I would have removed him from command after failing to implement that plan. Jeri Ryan's smoking cat suit notwithstanding. :-)

If I'm looking for a series lead to fight and win, I'm taking Sisko over any of the rest of them, even Kirk. Sisko might have regretted playing dirty, but he did it when he had to.
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:19 PM 02-03-2019
QUOTE=Discuss Thrower;14086818]The (lack of) logic in the Feddies agreeing to abandon cloaking technology is because the writers lazily leaned on the subject as an analogy to real world nuclear armament.[/QUOTE]

Kirk stole the cloaking device on TOS. The writers either had to use something like the treaty or explain to the audience each week why they didn't just use the device.

Well, I'm of the mind that much like a gun, it's better to have the technology before you need it, than to need to technology and not have it. The Romulans were complete snakes anyway.

As for the Borg, hell yes, kill them. Kill them all. Picard himself never had any problem killing Borg, even those who were assimilated crew members. Had I been Picard's superior, I would have removed him from command after failing to implement that plan. Jeri Ryan's smoking cat suit notwithstanding. :-)

If I'm looking for a series lead to fight and win, I'm taking Sisko over any of the rest of them, even Kirk. Sisko might have regretted playing dirty, but he did it when he had to.

Peace exists because both sides are equally matched. If the Federation found out that the Romulans were working on some sort of all-powerful Doomsday weapon, what would they have to do to survive? Declare war before the weapon could be perfected. The Romulans would have to do the same thing if the Federation upset the balance of power with the phased cloak.

Plan A: Invent, perfect, and implement a new super weapon without your devious and powerful enemies from finding out what you're up to.

If that fails...

Plan B: Hope that you can survive an all out war with one of the most powerful empires in the galaxy.

The Borg

I think it's a tough decision. The moral quandary is what makes the episode interesting. Should you use an A bomb to defeat Japan? Should you keep using them until the country is glass? Should you use biological weapons? Is genocide justified? Where is the line between "I'm willing to sacrifice this many of my own people to maintain my humanity" and " It's us or them. Kill 'em all. God will know his own. "

Klingons choose to be assholes. Should the Federation have found some way to exterminate them in Kirk's time? Would that have been the right call in the long run?

The Borg are less of a race and more of a huge group of people with an infectious disease,from my pov. There may come a point where you have no choice but to destroy them, but I also think, morally, you have to at least try to cure them.

The keyboard on a Kindle Fire sucks dick. Sorry for the spelling errors and typos.
[Reply]
RealSNR 04:53 PM 02-03-2019
Wait, they're doing a Michelle Yeoh spinoff series? :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:02 PM 02-03-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Wait, they're doing a Michelle Yeoh spinoff series? :-)
Guess so.
[Reply]
bowener 11:50 AM 02-04-2019
So we are getting a Section 31 spinoff?

I'm cool with that, especially if that is where they decide to focus their action film ideas instead of in Discovery.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:48 PM 02-04-2019
Oh, if it's Section 31-related... yeah, I'd be fine with that.

I thought initially that meant a fucking Captain Georgiou "origin" series aboard her original ship.
[Reply]
Page 36 of 63
« First < 263233343536 3738394046 > Last »
Up