ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 19
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
headsnap 09:06 AM 03-11-2002
I will start this out by saying that I am not a 'purist', more like a non-traditional. :-)

I also agree on the Line-6. I had one on loan for about two months from the local music store, and could not get a sound that I liked out of the damn thing. After that they loaned me the Johnson, which I thought was a little better, but not much. Both of those amps were open back 2-12 cabinets which I have found to produce a midrange frequency that gives me a headache(I admit that I might be to only one who thinks this.) One reason I like to keep the effects away from the amp, is that you then have more flexibility. I have not yet tried the Line-6 POD, which might sound better to me on my rig.

In the effects pedals vs. all-in-one units I will strongly vote for the all-in-one. I have done both, and will never go back to pedals. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, the convenience of the all-in-one cannot be beat. One power supply(or battery), vs. the pain of multiple boxes with their own battery and all the little cables hooking the damn things together. grr The main reason that I have been 'pimping' the 505 is that it is a low $ all-in-one that is best suited for the beginner, or practice setup. I would also agree with going with the Digitech units.

My current 'non-traditional' stage setup is the rackmount Zoom 9150 (with a 12AX7A tube in it, the distortion rocks:-) ), run stereo into a Crate rackmount poweramp, stereo out to a marshall stereo 4x12 cabinet. Where I go total non-trad is that I run stereo direct out of the Zoom to the snake (no miking of the cabinet). I will admit I was a little sceptical of this when I first did it, but being that we are an 'electronic' band, I gave it a try. I get alot of compliments on the sound/tone that I get out of that setup. I run a yamaha foot controller thru midi to the Zoom. We did try with having the keyboardists computer sending all my patch changes, while that was cool not having to stomp on the foot unit to change patches, there is something said for having the control yourself.

can you tell that I like talking about guitar...
[Reply]
nmt1 09:18 AM 03-11-2002
Headsnap:

I can tell you like talking about guitars and stuff. I'm enjoying the discussions b/c I'm learning a lot and it keeps me interested in practicing. Just wish I would've started a lot sooner in life.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:24 AM 03-11-2002
Headsnap,

If you're into having 150 preset effects at your toetips, then you're right. However, I don't want all that crap.

I guess I'm just a purist. I have a Crate all-tube (pre and post) amp and, except for the Zoom digital delay, all analog effects...
[Reply]
headsnap 09:32 AM 03-11-2002
Originally Posted by :
If you're into having 150 preset effects at your toetips, then you're right. However, I don't want all that crap.

I actually use only seven custom patches. When we do our 'cover' shows our song list ranges from 80's pop(Duran Duran, etc), to the Bee Gee's:-) , to Lords of Acid, to Marylin Manson and Korn. I need the flexibility.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:40 AM 03-11-2002
You're sick dude.

Out of the 5 bands you listed, all of them would make my "worst of all time" list...
[Reply]
headsnap 09:47 AM 03-11-2002
Thanks!

I've played worse! (Blister in the Sun, Brown Eyed Girl :-) )
actually, out of that list, the only one I like is Lords of Acid.

if I play it, it don't always mean I like it...
[Reply]
Lzen 11:24 AM 03-12-2002
I'm with you headsnap,
I love the flexibility of my multi-effects processor. BTW, I only mentioned the Line 6 Pod because I had heard more than one good review on it. I've never actually tried it myself. Here's the Digitech RP100 that mcan was talking about:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/43520

KPhobia,
Man, I would love to have been able to do this charity gig but, my band broke up last summer. :-) Ugghh! Lemme know when it happens so that at least I can come check it out.
[Reply]
Pennywise 01:36 PM 03-13-2002
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ars_1016046197
[Reply]
nmt1 01:55 PM 03-13-2002
I wonder how many people would invest in them. I'd have to see some good numbers before jumping in. This last years ups and downs(mostly downs) in the market has got me being very cautious. From what I can tell, both companies make quality products. Would need to see the balance sheets.
[Reply]
headsnap 01:56 PM 03-13-2002
well, since this topic is back...

I take great pride in the fact that during the last 10 years in gigging bands I have never played Pearl Jam, or :-) CREED!!
[Reply]
nmt1 01:57 PM 03-13-2002
Hey! I like Creed.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:02 PM 03-13-2002
snap,

My band didn't play covers and I certainly wouldn't play stuff I didn't like, even if the crowd wanted to hear it.

That's probably why we never had very many good gigs. :-)
[Reply]
headsnap 02:10 PM 03-13-2002
nmt1, read my sig line. IMHO that is directed more towards Creed than BackN'BrittneySYNC Boys.
[Reply]
Pennywise 02:18 PM 03-13-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by nmt1
I wonder how many people would invest in them. I'd have to see some good numbers before jumping in. This last years ups and downs(mostly downs) in the market has got me being very cautious. From what I can tell, both companies make quality products. Would need to see the balance sheets.
I agree man. I just think it would be cool to have some stock in one or both companies. If anything it would be a good line to spout off in a music store "Give me a break-discount damnit, I am a stockholder!" chop chop
[Reply]
headsnap 02:23 PM 03-13-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by PennyWise
I agree man. I just think it would be cool to have some stock in one or both companies. If anything it would be a good line to spout off in a music store "Give me a break-discount damnit, I am a stockholder!" chop chop
that didn't work when I bought my last Macintosh.:-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 19
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up