ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 19
< 12 345612 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
nmt1 08:51 PM 03-05-2002
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I could try one out at Mars, where I take lessons, and then buy it online. I don't live in a small town but it seems like the prices on the net are better. Don't want to spend over $300 at this point.
Want to play rock, blues, and eventually classical. If anyone can suggest any techniques for practicing, I'd love to hear them too. Again, thanks for all your suggestions.
:-)
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 08:52 PM 03-05-2002

One problem you'll find amongst musicians and drummer's
:-) . . . is overwhelming brand loyalty. It's almost as bad as the Ford, chevy and dodge thing. Chances are, any guitar players' opinon is going to be skewed toward the brand he or she uses. beware
[Reply]
nmt1 08:53 PM 03-05-2002
Pants:

I'll keep that in mind. I guess I should try them out for comfort and sound to see which one I like best.
[Reply]
Stuckinbama 09:29 PM 03-05-2002
If you're just learning to play, go with an acoustic guitar, find a good teacher, and learn your chords.

When you feel ready to move up to an electric, stay away from the new Fenders. The new ones are a piece of JUNK!

I have a 1963 Stratocaster - great guitar, but it's worth a king's ransom as a collector's piece.
[Reply]
PRIEST 09:38 PM 03-05-2002
Cool another picker .For a first guitar I would go with something that feel's the best and not worry about brand's at this point feel is whats gonna keep you pickin.

1 ESP kh-2
1 Kramer
1 Jackson
[Reply]
splatbass 11:25 PM 03-05-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Chief Red Pants

One problem you'll find amongst musicians and drummer's
:-) . . . is overwhelming brand loyalty. It's almost as bad as the Ford, chevy and dodge thing. Chances are, any guitar players' opinon is going to be skewed toward the brand he or she uses. beware
You are right, which is why I recommend the Fender Stratocaster or the Epiphone Les Paul depending on which sound you are looking for...:-) Really, though, you should learn a little about guitars, pickups, etc. before you decide. Depending on the style of music you may want a guitar with humbucking pickups or one with single coil pickups. If you don't know the difference, don't buy until you do! You don't want to spend money on a guitar that won't give you the sound you are looking for. For example, for heavy metal, hard rock or most alternative rock you probably want humbucking pickups. If you want to sound like Clapton or Stevie Ray you probably want single coil. If you want to play country you definately want single coil. Do your homework and find out what your favorite guitar players are using before you buy. I play guitar, but am primarily a bass player, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt....

Since we are on the subject, I would like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my band. Here is the link...

www.geocities.com/splatbass/showdown.html
[Reply]
Brock 11:37 PM 03-05-2002
I've played classical guitar for about 12 years, and I'd have to say that electric is much easier to learn how to play for fun. But I wouldn't spend much on a first guitar.
[Reply]
Arrowhead 12:05 AM 03-06-2002
I just bought a guitar on Sunday from a pawn shop here in Austin. I took a friend with me who knew a little about guitars and that was a big help. I spent some time cleaning it up and now I can't stay away from it. So far I can play the beginning to kashmir and day tripper (beginner level stuff). I guess you just have to do your research.
[Reply]
mcan 01:25 AM 03-06-2002
NMT1-

I spent 3 years of my life selling guitars to people exactly like you. I wasn't commissioned or anything like that so really perk up your ears and listen... So actually, I AM an expert.

First thing- Get the hell out of Mars. Thier lessons are cookie cutter and expensive. Are you at the Mars in Olathe? That's one of the worst, and it's so close to two other places that give better (cheaper) lessons. #1 is Johnson County Community College. It has a privite lesson for $150.00 per semester. And #2 Spencer's Music Room (my old job) has lessons for around $50-$60 per month. At Spencers, I recommend John Sheverbush as a great newbie teacher. Never Ever take a guitar class. Only take private lessons.

Second- Get the guitar you will WANT to practice on. Anyone that tells you to play something because it's better for you is lying or biased. If you want to be a rocker, learn on electric. If you want to play Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan grab an accoustic. If you want to play flemenco and madrigals, grab a classical.

Third- Get a guitar that you know isn't what is wrong. Let me explain. Most pawn shop or Sears guitars are nothing more than toys or are broken in some way. If anything good does hit the shelf at a pawn shop, it is gone in less than half an hour because the pawn shop people call the guitar stores. Only the CRAP hits the shelf. Newbie guitar players buy them, and when they can't learn, they assume "they just suck." The truth is, your guitar is impossible for Eric Clapton to play on because the action or intonation is always off. A guitar can look perfect to an untrained or amature eye, but play like total sh!t. It's cheap, and a waste of money. A good rule of thumb is, a good acoustic is gonna run you around $200.00 minimum, and a good electric is gonna run around $150.00 minimum. Then you have to buy an amp ($50-100) and cables. But if you CAN, it's good to drop around twice those prices to buy something that isn't strictly for beginners. That way, you won't have to buy something new again right away.

Fourth- Don't be fooled by sister companies. If you buy a Sigma, it isn't a Martin. If you buy a Squire, it isn't a Fender. Someone earlier on this thread said they were the same but assembled in a different country, and he couldn't be any further from the truth. Salesmen use this to sell you junk. You get what you pay for. Squires are almost as bad as Sears guitars. They are distributed by and modeled after Fenders, but are entirely different.

Fifth- Don't get something too big for you. Specifically, don't buy the fancy twelve string even though you like it. Don't buy an electric with a Floyd Rose on it. You won't be able to tune it properly. Don't get a "dobro."

Sixth- Practice at least a little bit every day. Most people will tell you what to practice and for how long, but I find that too many people end up trying to fill a quota of practice time and never really enjoy the instrument. Plus, if you're trying to practice a half hour a day, you think "well I'll just practice an hour on thursday and skip it today." This doesn't work well. Just keep picking it up and playing whatever. At least look at it and play a note before you go to bed. Even 30 seconds of practice a day will help. (and i'm not kidding).

As Splat said, you want to pay attention to what kind of pickups are on the guitar. Look at the Ibanez below. That guitar has two pickups (the black things under the strings). Each pickup on that guitar is made up of two smaller pickups called single coils. When you take two single coils and put them together you make a double coil or what is commenly called a "humbucker." This guitar has two humbuckers on it. This is usually better for heavy rock, although that isn't a hardened rule. If you look at a typical Fender Strat, you will see not two, but THREE single coils, and no humbuckers. This usually gives a better clean tone for blues or country. Although, again, that isn't a rule as Hendrix played a strat. But you hear how much feedback and extra noise he had going on? That is the byproduct of a single coil and distortion. I recommend sommething like this Ibanez or the RG series to all newbies. Just don't buy something with a Floyd Rose untill you've been playing for a couple years. (ask the salesperson what it is cause this post is already too long).

Anyway, good luck in finding that guitar, and if you ever need any advice or help. Or if you want my opinion on a brand or model feel free to email or smoke signal me.

mcan- (misses his old job)
mmccann2333@hotmail.com
[Reply]
Phobia 02:03 AM 03-06-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by splatbass
Since we are on the subject, I would like to take the opportunity to shamelessly plug my band. Here is the link...

www.geocities.com/splatbass/showdown.html
Cool - I take it that you are the old goateed fellow. You and me both.

Feel free to offer my phone number to the band hottee at any time.... :-)

Looks like you get some cool gigs there - I've been in that E-club before.
[Reply]
splatbass 04:17 AM 03-06-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by KPhobia

Cool - I take it that you are the old goateed fellow. You and me both.

Feel free to offer my phone number to the band hottee at any time.... :-)

Looks like you get some cool gigs there - I've been in that E-club before.
Yep, I'm the old goateed guy.... as far Tianna, band members get first shot at her...:-) Now if I could just get rid of my wife and her boyfriend...... j/k... We love playing the military clubs, always a lot of fun (well the enlisted clubs anyway, officer's clubs tend to be boring...).
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 04:30 AM 03-06-2002
Originally Posted by :
as far Tianna

I can't say anything..my girlfriend looks on here from time to time. Yummmy........Damn IT!!!!!! :-)
[Reply]
nmt1 07:24 AM 03-06-2002
What do you guys think of this one? Two single coils and one humbucker.

http://www.music123.com/Item/Item.asp?po=IGSA60JB&uid=
Attached: gsa60jb.jpg (6.9 KB) 
[Reply]
splatbass 08:27 AM 03-06-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by nmt1
What do you guys think of this one? Two single coils and one humbucker.

http://www.music123.com/Item/Item.asp?po=IGSA60JB&uid=
Looks like a pretty good guitar for a beginner. The pickup configuration is a good compromise, giving you a lot of versatility. Ibanez makes good instruments, so the quality is good for the price range. A good choice.
[Reply]
headsnap 09:00 AM 03-06-2002
nmt1, that Ibenhad (oops, Ibanez:-) ) looks like a good beginner, that can take you further. I liked my Ibanez until my lead singer jumped on it and broke the neck (long story)grr

musicians friend has that with a gig bag for $229 i think.

you next will need an effects unit, and I recommend a Zoom 505. It has all of the distortions, delays, ghorus/flange, reberbs, etc... that you will need. You should be able to get one of these on ebay for about $60.

ebay search-zoom 505
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...query=zoom+505

I will get back at ya with an amp.:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 19
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up