ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 19
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
Pennywise 08:47 PM 09-24-2002
What cord is that Courtney?
Attached: e5731b8fcf.jpg (33.3 KB) 
[Reply]
philfree 09:23 PM 09-24-2002
Originally Posted by :
The Epiphone is a cheaper version of a Les Paul but, still a very decent guitar, especially for a beginner. The Marshall Valvestate is a very good quality amp. I'm curious, is it a combo amp (meaning the amp and speakers in one single box) or is it a stack(amp head and speaker cabinet are separate units)? Either way, Marshall Valvestates have great sound and they are very durable. You lucky bastard.
My guitar says Epiphon and Les Paul both on it if that makes a difference in models. Blue but you can see the wood grain and it has a white pick gaurd.

My amp is a combo. Valvestate2000 AVT 20.\

And yes I am a lucky bastard.

PhilFree:-)
[Reply]
headsnap 09:32 PM 09-24-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by PennyWise
What cord is that Courtney?
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

that would be inbetween chords.

halloween '97...
[Reply]
Braincase 09:43 PM 09-24-2002
My first axe was one I copped from my brother after he quit playing - a Peavey POS. Avoid

The first guitar I bought was a favorite that I miss. Ibanez PR-1440. One of the first Ibanez with the new headstock. Cherry Ice finish, ebony neck, Floyd Rose, two singles and a hummer.

I miss that guitar.

Currently, having a lot of fun with a Fernandes Nomad with the Zoom 505 effects processor built in.

Alvaraz, Module Graphite neck. FR trem, although the nut's a little sharp.

Ibanez S Series.

Ovation Shallow Bowl with active electronics.

Had a 7-string ESP, but didn't care for it.
[Reply]
nmt1 11:32 AM 10-03-2002
Hey guys. Just thought I'd bring this back with another question or two. I quit taking lessons b/c they are quite expensive and football season started, among other things. Can you guys suggest some ways to practice or some things to practice. I've been practicing the same scales and songs that I learned during my lessons. I think I need to branch out and learn some more basics. Thanks for any suggestions.
[Reply]
headsnap 12:01 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by nmt1
Hey guys. Just thought I'd bring this back with another question or two. I quit taking lessons b/c they are quite expensive and football season started, among other things. Can you guys suggest some ways to practice or some things to practice. I've been practicing the same scales and songs that I learned during my lessons. I think I need to branch out and learn some more basics. Thanks for any suggestions.
what songs and scales do you practice on?

it's good sometimes and give your right hand some thought. you can't be a good guitarist without a good right hand. practice picking, alternate picking up and down the pentatonic scale, and all over the scale. practice chunking on a chord with all down strokes while changing up how you mute the strings with your palm. practice chunking with giving emphasis on beats 2 and 4. chunk with up strokes on 2& and 3&, etc... just change it up some.

get your vibrato working. the way I got mine, and a wicked one it is, (this is a true story) all my friends had a little, but it seemed forced. I went and drank about 5 Dr. Peppers and recieved a sort of natural palsy from all the caffein(my hands shook more than Muhammad Ali), I practiced for a couple of hours while charged on caffein and I have had the vibrato from that point on.

learn the non-traditional parts of the guitar, ie, where all the harmonics are, pinch harmonics, etc... just experiment with the thing, make some nasty noise, and have fun.
[Reply]
Pennywise 12:05 PM 10-03-2002
I am going to give this piece of gear a shot. It looks too cool and folks seem to have some good things to say. Time for a covert purchase…

I took a listen to some of the samples and was quite pleased.
[Reply]
Braincase 12:28 PM 10-03-2002
Headsnap -

Here's my latest covert purchase, on its way from Ottawa, Canada.

I posted earlier about a favorite Ibanez PR1440. This is a PR1880, and I've always been a sucker for natural finishes.
Attached: 6835tiba.jpg (56.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Braincase 12:33 PM 10-03-2002
Meant that for Pennywise. Sorry!
[Reply]
nmt1 12:35 PM 10-03-2002
Headsnap:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Zoom 505 and I love messing around with it. I only know a few power chords but they sound awesome all distorted. I've also been reading Steve Vai's column on guitar.com. Vai recommends some techniques for getting better/faster with your left hand. My teacher made me practice alternate picking from the start so I've got that down pretty good. I practice on a couple of pieces of some Satriani stuff. I don't know any songs all the way through other than Your Disease by Saliva. That song requires me to tune down and it's kind of a pain to re-tune every time I practice. I guess what I'm most wondering about is bar chords and power chords. I know very little about them. I'll look up the scales I'm playing and let you know.

Pennywise:
I've had my eye on that for some time now. I'd love to get one but I don't want to spend the money on it right now. As soon as I have some extra cash, I'm snagging it.
[Reply]
nmt1 12:38 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by BrainCase
Headsnap -

Here's my latest covert purchase, on its way from Ottawa, Canada.

I posted earlier about a favorite Ibanez PR1440. This is a PR1880, and I've always been a sucker for natural finishes.
Nice to see another Ibanez player on here. Most everyone I talk to wants a Gibson or Fender. This is the one I have, color and all:

SA160QM
Attached: axe.jpg (84.4 KB) 
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 12:50 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :

Nice to see another Ibanez player on here. Most everyone I talk to wants a Gibson or Fender. This is the one I have, color and all:

SA160QM

I have a 540R Ibanez, but don't play it any more because the floyd rose gets on my last nerve.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 12:52 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Garcia Bronco

I have a 540R Ibanez, but don't play it any more because the floyd rose gets on my last nerve.

Btw, the 540R is the Joe model without his sig on it.
[Reply]
nmt1 12:55 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by Garcia Bronco

Btw, the 540R is the Joe model without his sig on it.
Sweet! I'm a huge Satriani fan.
I wouldn't mind having one of the JS series models.
I've heard bad things about the Floyd Rose trems. Why does it bother you?
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 12:59 PM 10-03-2002
Originally Posted by :

SA160QM
When we get together for the game I can tell you all you want about power and bar chords.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 19
« First < 678910 11121314 > Last »
Up