ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Considering myself lucky to still be here
Mosbonian 08:05 AM 10-02-2022
I know that most of you that are newer over the past 10 years probably do not know me....I haven't been as active on here as I was when I first joined when ChiefsPlanet started.....most of the old timers might remember me more as mmaddog than my present name.

September 9th started out to be a normal day...my wife was back in KC tending to her ailing mother. I was here in Jacksonville with my adult disabled son working my normal job from home. I had just finished my day at 4:30 and decided to take a quick power nap till 6 PM and then start dinner.

I was awakened by some very sharp pains in my chest.....one like I had never felt before. At first I thought, bad heartburn, but the pain was just getting more intense. I brushed my teeth, put on a different shirt and headed to the ER, calling my wife on the way. (The ER is 6 minutes from my house).

To make the long story short.....I was admitted that night and was on the operating table at 1:30 AM having the first of 3 stents put into my arteries. The first one was solo as the artery was 90% blocked and was what was causing the largest part of my pain. There were 2 other arteries that were 60% and 70 % blocked that they stented the following Monday. I spent 6 days total in the hospital, being monitored and working to control my blood pressure.

I am finally back to work....on a strict low-sodium, low potassium diet. I am walking 10 minutes a day, every day, to start and I am supposed to increase as it becomes easier to achieve each time and distance.

I consider myself very lucky....the Cardiologist and the other Doctor's who came to my room told me I escaped with no muscle damage to the heart. But they did say that had I waited 1 to 2 more days and I might not have made it thru the heart attack.

A lot of good friends and family prayed for me...sent me positive thoughts and have helped me thru this to this point. I reach out to my friends and "family" here in ChiefsPlanet just to ask for continued prayers and positive thoughts as I work my way back thru this.

For all my friends on here my age.....please do what I did not. Heed the warning signs and go to the Dr even if your pride won't let you. My pride and stubborness got me here and I would never wish any of the pain I felt that night....even to a Charger, Raider or a Donk fan. :-)
[Reply]
Halfcan 08:38 PM 10-03-2022
Best wishes-always!!
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:47 PM 10-03-2022
I consider myself lucky that you're still here. Heal fast and fully.

Heart attacks scare me because you have to recognize something that's never happened to you, and if you don't recognize it fast enough it can kill you. That's not fair.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 08:52 PM 10-03-2022
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
Stroked out several years ago myself - it's not easy living to be old in present day American. First couple of things I'll recommend - baby aspirin (for your brain more than your heart - but it's all hooked up) and a big fish oil cap - or 2 per day. I eat a lot of canned sardines/kippered herring as well, but the fish oil is a daily fix for what ails us. I wound up hiking an hour daily, wearing ~ 20 lbs of split peas/pinto beans, triple bagged and carried in a backpack w/my water bottle. Lost 95 of 'quit smoking' lard, that made life simpler. Do what you've got to do - don't worry about explaining 'weird' moves - you're trying to live to make 70. Or older. Go see your doctor. Pay attention to him.
A Baby aspirin each morning is part of the meds I am required to take each day. Luckily that is one of the better tasting meds I have to take.
[Reply]
HemiEd 12:57 AM 10-04-2022
Originally Posted by Mosbonian:
Thanks....yeah pretty much everything I used to love to eat (hamburgers, hot dogs, potatoes, fries, etc) are all out the window.

I drink more unsweet tea and water now.....and oddly enough they have me drink a small glass of ginger ale every other day
I remember the cardiologist that put my first four stents in 15 years ago saying I would never eat a ribeye steak again. :-) Had four blocked at 95%.

Moderation and diet change along with a daily excercise routine has been the key for me. We eat fish twice a week, but I still enjoy red meat in moderation.

Latest blood tests were deemed great by the cardiologist.

Hang in there, glad you caught it in time!
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up