ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 75 of 78
« First < 25657172737475 767778 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Walt Disney World
Brianfo 12:01 PM 01-11-2006
My wife and I will be taking 2 small children to Walt Disney World in Florida in 2 weeks. I get to go as a bonus thru my work. We are staying at the Hilton. My question is what is the weather like down there in January? Any good ideas on what to see and do with twins that are 2 years old? I am kind of looking forward to it. A chance to get out of Iowa in January. Oh well, enought blabbing. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:34 PM 07-21-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
Yeah, that would be pretty brutal. I actually go to Disney fairly often but only because my brother-in-law is an employee and we get to go for free. I can’t imagine shelling out that kind of money to wait in line all day long just to go on a few rides.
I've been a couple times, but for free/deeply discounted from a friend who works there.

There was a reddit gif a while back showing several items in comparison to inflation and WDW was pretty insane. They do good work (at least they did 20 years ago) and if you have the disposable money, then yay.... I'd be surprised if altercations are uncommon though, when you're spending that kind of cash in the sweltering heat where the only thing worse than the temp is the humidity, standing in long lines, and if you forget water, you're paying $20 for a bottle on top of souvenirs and food and staying on potentially staying on WDW property, etc; that all probably makes buying a family pack of NFL season tickets look affordable and non-rapey.
[Reply]
BWillie 07:28 PM 07-21-2022
I went to Disney World on Thanksgiving weekend and it was quite possibly the worst day of my life.
[Reply]
Spott 07:33 PM 07-21-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I went to Disney World on Thanksgiving weekend and it was quite possibly the worst day of my life.
Other than New Year’s Eve, Thanksgiving Day/weekend is the absolute worst time to go there.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:47 PM 07-21-2022
We just got back. It was fun, but it was also a helluva lot of work. The lines were long, it was hot, and all it takes is one ride breaking down to fuck your whole day's plans up with the way the lightning lanes work.
[Reply]
Eureka 08:15 PM 07-21-2022
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
We just got back. It was fun, but it was also a helluva lot of work. The lines were long, it was hot, and all it takes is one ride breaking down to **** your whole day's plans up with the way the lightning lanes work.
Glad you had fun putting in Hella work and waiting in long lines in hot weather on your vacation.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:14 AM 07-22-2022
Originally Posted by Eureka:
Isn't the weather good part of the year?
Yeah, the weather here is great for a few months out of the year, but generally that is not the time when the most tourists are here. Orlando is in peak season from March-August, Thanksgiving week, and the last couple weeks of December.

You come March-August, when most people do, you're getting hit with the worst of the crowds and weather. You come during Thanksgiving and Christmas, you're getting great weather but terrible crowds.

January-February is, like, perfect park time, IMO. Weather is generally going to be around 75 degrees, no rain or storms, and no crowds. September-October crowds are light as well and a bit cooler but still like 85-90 degrees.

Idk. Just my opinion. And yes, the coasts are generally a bit cooler than Orlando. They've got an ocean breeze that central Florida doesn't.
[Reply]
Pablo 08:56 AM 07-22-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Honestly, as a native Orlandoan (Orlandoite?) and someone who loves the area and theme parks, the only way it'd be worth it is if you made it a whole week of Florida vacationing.

Hit Disney/Universal for two or three days, go to the beach a day or two, hit a springs somewhere, go to the Space Center if you're into that, etc.

I couldn't imagine dropping $5-10k to stand in lines for an hour in sweltering heat for five days straight.
I could see this being a nice trip. I can dig some beach time and I've read on this site that St. Pete has the best beaches in the WORLD so I would be fine with something like what you're proposing. Standing in lines in the heat and getting fleeced the whole time is just going to piss me off. I'd be calculating the dollar amount I was spending to sweat.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:08 AM 07-22-2022
Originally Posted by Pablo:
I could see this being a nice trip. I can dig some beach time and I've read on this site that St. Pete has the best beaches in the WORLD so I would be fine with something like what you're proposing. Standing in lines in the heat and getting fleeced the whole time is just going to piss me off. I'd be calculating the dollar amount I was spending to sweat.
If you haven't been cut in line by 8 French dickheads after standing in line for an hour because the one person ahead of you was saving their spot, then you haven't experienced the real magic of Disney.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:12 AM 07-22-2022
Oh man, imagine inviting 100-400 "real friends" and hanging out on the greatest beaches in the world to watch the hurricanes come in... that would make being in Florida downright tolerable.
[Reply]
Otter 09:16 AM 07-22-2022
Two places I have absolutely zero desire to experience: Disney World and the top of Mt. Everest.

I can torture myself just fine on my own.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:20 AM 07-22-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
Two places I have absolutely zero desire to experience: Disney World and the top of Mt. Everest.

The line to get to the top of Everest NEVER moves.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 09:40 AM 07-22-2022
Hell yeah, bro. I'm not going to try to hype it up too much, because I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I would agree that some of the beaches on the Gulf Coast of Florida are as good as any in the world, though. Powder white sand, clear water, no rocks/shells to step on, no sharks, hardly ever any jellyfish or seaweed, no one trying to hock you shit on the beach, chill family vibes, no crime.

I actually went to a beach I'd never been to a couple weeks back named Belleair Beach not far from Clearwater. We saw some dolphins and a live Starfish (my first time). It was nice.
[Reply]
Spott 09:49 AM 07-22-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:

You should try the Everest ride at Disney World.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:07 AM 07-22-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
You should try the Everest ride at Disney World.
lol.. One of my favorites
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:03 AM 07-22-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
The line to get to the top of Everest NEVER moves.
It ain't the line to get to the top of Everest that is a killer. It's the line trying to get down as darkness/storms come that is a real killer.
[Reply]
Page 75 of 78
« First < 25657172737475 767778 >
Up