ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 62 of 112
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign UDFA Justyn Ross
ShowtimeSBMVP 10:28 AM 05-02-2022

Clemson WR Justyn Ross is signing with the #Chiefs to their 90-man roster, per source.

Ross led the ACC in receiving as a freshman in 2018, ranked fifth nationally with 21.7 YPC and was second in receiving touchdowns. He also stands 6-3, 210 pounds. High quality addition for

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) May 2, 2022

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:38 AM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
So I've heard. But how much faster would it have been? He looks about Juju's speed on film.

Doesn't mean he can't still be effective, of course.

To me, Ross when healthy looked just as fast and quick as Tee Higgins.

He may not be that guy anymore. The fun thing to dream on is if he is.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:46 AM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
40 times for KC's current WRs:

john ross 4.22
mvs 4.37
toney 4.39
moore 4.41
smith-marsette 4.43
james 4.48
ealy 4.52
powell 4.53
justyn ross 4.63

It's strange that people are so hyped up for a guy (Ross) who ran a considerably slower 40 than Smith-Schuster. Frankly, he seems like a really similar player to JJSS, but taller.

Then you have the other Ross. Literally the fastest player in league history. If he can stay somewhat healthy, he could be the new gadget/jet sweep guy.
to be fair-and I'm not expecting anything from Justyn Ross-

He ran 4.63 on a foot that required surgery to fix the prior attempt to fix it.

Now, maybe that's an indication that he's not ever going to be healthy, or maybe it's not.

But just to be fair.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:59 AM 04-08-2023
Let's say he's back to being able to run at least 4.5sec speed. Is he a NFL-quality WR? There seems to be some contention that he's not. Plus, he has no experience playing at this level, so a bit of a double-whammy.
[Reply]
BossChief 12:08 PM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by PHOG:
From what I've heard, that 40 time of Ross' was ran on a bum foot that was further messed up with a botched surgery?
I told him not to let that bum do the surgery.
:-)
[Reply]
BossChief 12:10 PM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
to be fair-and I'm not expecting anything from Justyn Ross-

He ran 4.63 on a foot that required surgery to fix the prior attempt to fix it.

Now, maybe that's an indication that he's not ever going to be healthy, or maybe it's not.

But just to be fair.
Justyn run and cutting on hills is a strong indication that foot is as healed as it ever could be.

It almost seems like the coaching staff is somewhat banking on Justyn being healthy.
[Reply]
Danguardace 12:13 PM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Let's say he's back to being able to run at least 4.5sec speed. Is he a NFL-quality WR? There seems to be some contention that he's not. Plus, he has no experience playing at this level, so a bit of a double-whammy.
You could say that about any rookie WR, Skyy Moore made his name against DBs who wouldn't even sniff the NFL, so until he gets on the field I dont get that comment.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 12:18 PM 04-08-2023

Against most NFC teams the Chiefs tend to score nearly a TD above their average, as opposed to AFC teams, no idea why.
My guess is:

1) The NFC sucks
2) Everybody in the AFC is specifically building their roster to match up with KC
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:21 PM 04-08-2023
Well, he would certainly be NFL level measurables. As for all the rest, it's a crapshoot, like it is with any unproven player.

For an UDFA, it's a nice lottery ticket.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:24 PM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by Danguardace:
You could say that about any rookie WR, Skyy Moore made his name against DBs who wouldn't even sniff the NFL, so until he gets on the field I dont get that comment.
Basically, my question is "if Justyn has lost his speed, does he have the route-running ability/other WR skills to still be an NFL WR?"

Some WRs are in the league largely because they're fast. Take that away and they don't have the other skillsets to play in the NFL. Ted Ginn, for example. Hardman.

Now, I've seen a little of this guy from watching tape last year of his college highlights, so I know he has the hands and body control. But if he doesn't run good routes/releases and doesn't have enough speed to create any separation on his stems/breaks, he's not going to be worth much on the field.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:26 PM 04-08-2023
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Justyn run and cutting on hills is a strong indication that foot is as healed as it ever could be.

It almost seems like the coaching staff is somewhat banking on Justyn being healthy.
IF they don't take a WR with any kind of size in the draft, we'll know that's the case.

I'd love to know what Mahomes thinks right now, as Ross is down in Texas running with the boys.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:29 PM 04-08-2023
Basically, my question is "if Justyn has lost his speed, does he have the route-running ability/other WR skills to still be an NFL WR?"

Some WRs are in the league largely because they're fast. Take that away and they don't have the other skillsets to play in the NFL. Ted Ginn, for example. Hardman.

Now, I've seen a little of this guy from watching tape last year of his college highlights, so I know he has the hands and body control. But if he doesn't run good routes/releases and doesn't have enough speed to create any separation on his stems/breaks, he's not going to be worth much on the field.
This is all true, of course, without question, but I've got to think he runs faster than the 4.63 he ran on a fucked up foot.

Can he stay healthy, can he learn this offense and learn to see the routes as Mahomes does? To me, those are the questions that determine his or any other receiver's worth as long as they are NFL level athletes.

And if he's 6'4" 210 pounds, and runs a 4.5 or so, then yeah, he's an NFL level body.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:44 PM 04-08-2023
This is all true, of course, without question, but I've got to think he runs faster than the 4.63 he ran on a fucked up foot.

Can he stay healthy, can he learn this offense and learn to see the routes as Mahomes does? To me, those are the questions that determine his or any other receiver's worth as long as they are NFL level athletes.

And if he's 6'4" 210 pounds, and runs a 4.5 or so, then yeah, he's an NFL level body.
So many "ifs" with this guy. I'll be interested to see if he has the WR chops to be on the field for significant snaps, or if he just spends this season as PS fodder.
[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 12:50 PM 04-08-2023
Yeah, he's a long shot. May not even make the 53 man roster. We get it.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:58 PM 04-08-2023
So many "ifs" with this guy. I'll be interested to see if he has the WR chops to be on the field for significant snaps, or if he just spends this season as PS fodder.
Well, just one more 'if' than most rookies.
"if he can stay healthy".

All the rest would be there with any rookie.

And yeah, he's a red-shirt rookie basically.

I'm not assuming he's going to be anything at all, just being fair to the possibility.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:14 PM 04-08-2023
Well, just one more 'if' than most rookies.
"if he can stay healthy".

All the rest would be there with any rookie.

And yeah, he's a red-shirt rookie basically.

I'm not assuming he's going to be anything at all, just being fair to the possibility.
If he still has NFL-level speed as well.

Ftr, I hope he is faster than 4.6 whatever. With his catch radius and the little I've seen of his other abilities, he could be a decent WR for KC. His length and athleticism could be a real problem for opposing defenses.
[Reply]
Page 62 of 112
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672 > Last »
Up